Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Man City 6- Leicester 3 post match thread.

3 hours ago, reynard said:

Shame that they are part of the game really or we would have done well. Sorry but no side that concedes six goals can be said to have defended well in any capacity.

Never said we defended well the whole game. We were terrible in the first 30 mins of the game but we looked good defensively after that bar set pieces. I'm not saying that's how games should be analysed either but given the circumstances I think we did okay against the best team in the world imo playing arguably their best XI. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Am I still the only person who saw the ball clearly hit Laporte's hand for the final goal?

19 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

No, I called it at the time, but no City players seemed to claim the handball

They said at the time that it was fine, as his arm was in a natural position by his side. 

So I just watched the highlights for the first time. It was the hope after the 3rd goal that kills me.

1st goal: Should've closed down KDB a bit quicker

2nd goal: This isn't WWE or UFC. Shouldn't do that to an opponent in our own penalty box. 

3rd goal: Why didn't anyone mark Bernardo Silva in the build up? He was left completely unmarked. And why would a goalkeeper try to knock the ball out like that in the 6 yard box? 

4th goal: Sterling = diving cvnt. Need to unleash Hamza on him sometime. 

5th goal: Set piece. Shocker. 

6th goal: Set piece. Shocker x2. 

Our attack was good, but defence wins matches. 

Edited by 420Hashish
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Fair play to looking at the bigger picture Col as it’s not something many do on here, the fact that we are still talking and pointing fingers at BR or individuals about losing against the fully fit English champions when we are having to field patched up reserve & knackered players proves the point.
There will be the same discussion come 22:00 tomorrow night which will baffle me as I’ve already written that game off and looking to Norwich after a well earned day off, as I really do see the bigger picture.

With regards to the 2 CBs you mention yes they should be doing more but they are our 4th & 5th choice options and probably weren’t planned on being paired together, I think you pair any clubs 4th and 5th choice options together they will leak goals…+ doesn’t help with midfielders having to cover defensive slots.

We lost because we can’t defend corners. We are the worst team in the league at defending corners, it has been a glaring issue for 2 years and Rodgers has not addressed it.

Patched up defence or not, we lost because we conceded three goals from corners. The farce of it is entirely on the management, i.e. Brendan Rodgers

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jim5000 said:

We lost because we can’t defend corners. We are the worst team in the league at defending corners, it has been a glaring issue for 2 years and Rodgers has not addressed it.

Patched up defence or not, we lost because we conceded three goals from corners. The farce of it is entirely on the management, i.e. Brendan Rodgers

So by that logic every goal scored from a corner in any game in any league is down to the manager right?
it would also mean that every corner we have against us we would concede from but we don’t, so how can we defend some but not others within the same game, is it only corners from a particular side or player we can defend?

Do you think if BR was sacked today and new manager was in today and he dropped the 2 zonal marking players that we wouldn’t concede from a set piece v Norwich or does a new manager require 2mths+ to perfect the art of defending a corner?

Is there even an art to defending a corner or does it just require a player to want the ball more than the opposition.

If its down to the manager on defending corners is it also down to him on why their team doesn’t score with every corner they get or with every shot they take for that matter, why isn’t every game 10 all? is that last ditch challenge in a game by VVD or goal line clearance by Dias down to their managers because they practise goal line clearances for 3 days or down to the individual?

This isn’t rocket science, he’s not asking them to work out Riemann Hypothesis during the flight of the ball he’s asking them to do what they have been doing since they were 4yrs old, defend the goal and attack the ball, unless you can tell me he’s not telling them to defend the goal and to not attack the ball & that he is asking them to work out a maths problem during the flight of the ball.

Im not saying he’s blameless but the notion of we concede because of him alone is ridiculous, these are professional footballers many of them internationals, for instance Is he mic’d up to Kasper during free kicks, is he telling Kasper how many he wants in a wall, shifting them left or right or is that Kasper?
This is a mix of him, the players and us the fans, you can feel the tension from the stands every time there’s a set piece, it’s set in the players that they are so consumed by it now as are the fans it makes everyone twitchy which is where mistakes are made.

The only thing that needs to happen is to be calm, leaders to lead and aggressively attack a football.

I’d also say we as fans can help by not moaning when we concede a corner but gee the players up and I mean really go for it calling out names, come on Thomas come on Jannick, Kasper you’ve got this don’t let them have this ball etc and cheer (not in a sarcastic way) if they clear it, really start to big them up and they will grow, the nerves will settle that would help more than an additional 1hr on defending corners knowing we are with them, not just go ooh well here’s the 1st goal, told ya we’re shit etc

But then what do I know I’m only a fan not a football manager 

32 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

So by that logic every goal scored from a corner in any game in any league is down to the manager right?

No, absolutely not. However when a team with international defenders has consistently been the worst team in the league at defending corners for two years now, and it gets called out in every match analysis in the media, and the fans are terrified everytime we concede a corner, then yes, it absolutely does point to a systemic error in the way that the team are setup to defend corners, and that is on the manager.

The average amount of goals conceded from corners in the Premier League is consistently 10 or 11 per team, per season. We are past that already and not even half way thought the season (12, not including penalties conceded from corners).

Edited by jim5000

18 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

No, absolutely not. However when a team with international defenders has consistently been the worst team in the league at defending corners for two years now, and it gets called out in every match analysis in the media, and the fans are terrified everytime we concede a corner, then yes, it absolutely does point to a systemic error in the way that the team are setup to defend corners, and that is on the manager.

The average amount of goals conceded from corners in the Premier League is consistently 10 or 11 per team, per season. We are past that already and not even half way thought the season (12, not including penalties conceded from corners).

Not disputing we have an issue but a manager has 3 options open to him on corners; complete zonal which we were, complete man mark which we haven’t or a mix of the 2, which we now deploy. 
As I say it’s hardly rocket science if we pick complete man mark will we stamp out conceding immediately?

What is he not doing in training?

I listen to the “expert” pundits as much as I take note of FT match day threads which is close to zero.

Every player interviewed recently and BR have all said they are working hard on defending set pieces, if it was just a case of ooh boss I get it now, now you have told me to stand 6inches from where I was standing I can clear the ball better I didn’t realise.

To me training is a template to give you a baseline for a particular set of scenarios it doesn’t replicate the actual scenario, it’s really up to the individual to make it work.
You can train a soldier to shoot at a cardboard cutout but can’t replicate what it’s like to be shot back at that’s down to the soldier to figure that out when it happens for himself, taking what training he has had to best equip him for that scenario.

Extreme scenario but stands BR can train 24/7 just on corners but we then concede on the very 1st corner why? Because the flight of the ball was different, because an opposition player wasn’t in the same position as in all the training sessions or because someone lost their player or didn’t attack a zone quick or aggressive enough?