Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCCHRIS

Who do you want January 2022

7 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Our 25 man squad is full. We would have to remove players before we can add anyone. 

Benkovic is one which will likely make way, but for anyone else to be brought in someone else would have to be removed from the squad

Absolutely, I've been saying this but people just ignore it and suggest we buy "this" player. Like you I think we'll leave Benkovic out as there seems there are no situations  we are going to play him. The only other thing is I think Mendy may leave, which would free up a space.

2 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Absolutely, I've been saying this but people just ignore it and suggest we buy "this" player. Like you I think we'll leave Benkovic out as there seems there are no situations  we are going to play him. The only other thing is I think Mendy may leave, which would free up a space.

Mendy leaving wouldn't free up a space - he's not registered.

• Like 1

It's fair to ask for more from our January signings. Sure we can't ask for anything crazy from them, but it's absolutely never acceptable to sign someone of the lack of class of Bennett for example. Was a disaster that was easy to see from miles away. Didn't make any sense. And this made itself manifest in bertrand and Vestergaard signings. It's alright going for experience,but Vestergaard was known as being awful and bertrand well, he's probably too old to be at this level and his covid case surely affected him. And they're not leaders at the end of the day. Not at all. 

14 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

11 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Mendy leaving wouldn't free up a space - he's not registered.

Yeh absolutely, although as above Mendy isn’t even registered at the minute. So think he may leave still, but wouldn’t impact the number of squad spaces we have. 

The other alternatives are not registering/ selling/ loaning Hamza or Jakupovic or someone but even then as mentioned above given the wages they are likely on won’t be easy to shift. And anyone who isn’t injured atm probably shouldn’t be sold so we can at least field a side :sweating:

4 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Yeh absolutely, although as above Mendy isn’t even registered at the minute. So think he may leave still, but wouldn’t impact the number of squad spaces we have. 

The other alternatives are not registering/ selling/ loaning Hamza or Jakupovic or someone but even then as mentioned above given the wages they are likely on won’t be easy to shift. And anyone who isn’t injured atm probably shouldn’t be sold so we can at least field a side :sweating:

Shifting Hamza won't help, either, as he's home-grown.

We're a bit fuched, really. Getting a CB in on loan and leaving Benkovic out is probably all we can hope to get done in January.

Edited by Raw Dykes
  • Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
4 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Another point, we should also get our business done earlier or not get it done at all. Our business in January lately has screamed out for panic buying 

Its often been covering injuries though and clubs wait to sell and hold out for higher prices.

If we have 5m to spend on a loan clubs will want more than that and whilst we think we need a defender now it might evolve through the month.

A lot easier said than done.

Equally we don't have space in the squad as has been mentioned several times with a surplus of players and player hopefully coming back from injury.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

21 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Don’t you have to have 3 goalkeepers registered? Removing. Jakupovic then wouldn’t be an option? 

Nope we could remove him if we want

Just that Rodgers likes to have 3 senior keepers so it is probably quite unlikely

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Our 25 man squad is full. We would have to remove players before we can add anyone. 

46 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Everytime we make short-term signings, like you're suggesting, they…

Clearly, some deadwood required/requires shifting or contracts cancelled - Bertrand and Vestergaard at the top of my list.

Not short term, I want an ongoing process of due diligence, learning from our mistakes (Bertrand and Vestergaard a case in point), and action to address the current crisis.

Centre-back on loan?

“It’s certainly something we need to look at. The players who have been filling in are away at AFCON, so it doesn’t give us a lot of cover. The club are working hard to see what we can do. There’s not an endless pot of money.”

Deal possible?

“The players we will look at, January is a difficult market but certainly for centre-halves, it’s a key position for any team. In order to be consistent, your two centre-halves are critical for you. Our results have been inconsistent and we’ve had lots of changes in our defensive structure. There is time, but it’s more pressing for us. Sometimes you have to compromise to get the type for your team. But we know we get guys back at the beginning of February.”

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Centre-back on loan?

“It’s certainly something we need to look at. The players who have been filling in are away at AFCON, so it doesn’t give us a lot of cover. The club are working hard to see what we can do. There’s not an endless pot of money.”

Deal possible?

“The players we will look at, January is a difficult market but certainly for centre-halves, it’s a key position for any team. In order to be consistent, your two centre-halves are critical for you. Our results have been inconsistent and we’ve had lots of changes in our defensive structure. There is time, but it’s more pressing for us. Sometimes you have to compromise to get the type for your team. But we know we get guys back at the beginning of February.”

Doesn't sound like he's getting the backing he wants but you can't blame the club and they knew what was happening when they sign vestergaard.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

3 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Rodgers mentioning money again.

Yep! Never struggled with it previously when we did good scouting lol 

Excuses spell the beginning of the end for me. Be amazed if he's here next season

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Clearly, some deadwood required/requires shifting or contracts cancelled - Bertrand and Vestergaard at the top of my list.

Not short term, I want an ongoing process of due diligence, learning from our mistakes (Bertrand and Vestergaard a case in point), and action to address the current crisis.

...due diligence should not just kick-in, in the summer window!!!

That should already have taken place the season or seasons before. Consideration was already in place regarding Vestergaard and Bertrand prior to them coming here, it is just that they have under performed as at this point. 

Vestergaard is a capable defender if used in a certain way, he seems to relish the Wes Morgan style of defending, blocking shots and putting your body on the line. Bertrand has suffered from  covid and its effect maybe the reason for his drop off in application and lethargy.

Until there is a full report on the effects of long covid in respect of the effect on the brain and player well being, we are not wise to demonise a player as we cannot fully understand what he is going through. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
Update.

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Excuses spell the beginning of the end for me. Be amazed if he's here next season

Pretty sure he said the same thing last January as well so not really a new excuse and plenty of other managers bring up when they don't have money to spend etc.

8 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Eerily similar to how his time at Celtic ended, started deflecting in the exact same way in terms of finance available etc.

3 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Eerily similar to how his time at Celtic ended, started deflecting in the exact same way in terms of finance available etc.

Are we not maybe reading a little too much into this instance though? He's right: we all know we sell to spend, it's our model for success. However, we do need reinforcements, not due to lack of quality in the squad, but because we have one senior centre back available. That's a staggering level of misfortune, and exceptional circumstances mean we may have to use exceptional measures (AKA dealing in a loathsome January market).

He is culpable for some of the problems this season, as are the players, but injuries are what have truly ****ed this season. No player or staff member can be truly judged on that. Even if our physios were the best of the best, they can't control every player's body, let alone the pandemic circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So Cantwell is available for 15m, not been tracking how he is doing in a toilet Norwich side though

Has hardly played as refuses to sign a new contract. Current one ends in the summer. Apparently has some attitude problems. He's average anyway so will probably end up at Newcastle 

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So Cantwell is available for 15m, not been tracking how he is doing in a toilet Norwich side though

Too similar a player to Maddison for me just not as good. Would be a pointless move, would rather spend the money on a centre half. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

...if Cantwell came here he would fit the ethos if this club!!!

It is not about him, it is about the team. From what I have seen, he is very tidy, intelligent, has a deceptive trick and would bring some quality to our squad.

Not sure why we would be choosing to look for a player in this area, at this moment, we need to concentrate on resolving our defensive problems. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...if Cantwell came here he would fit the ethos if this club!!!

It is not about him, it is about the team. From what I have seen, he is very tidy, intelligent, has a deceptive trick and would bring some quality to our squad.

Not sure why we would be choosing to look for a player in this area, at this moment, we need to concentrate on resolving our defensive problems. 

I agree with most of this, he hasn't played much, in part due to family issues (according to the athletic) but perhaps could be useful.

The defence issue is a strange one, it is very much an immediate problem, not a longer term issue (Jonny's deterioation/Cags potential sale notwithstanding) and ideal defensive upgrades could and should probably wait until the Summer.

A 6 month loan may be advisable/unavoidable, but only if it arrives early in the window.