Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Calvin Ramsay

18 year old right back for Aberdeen, started 16 of the 19 games he has been available this season

Sent one of our scouts to watch him on Boxing Day

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/calvin-ramsay-wanted-leicester-aberdeen-25811354

Calvin Ramsay braced for Leicester bid as Aberdeen expect transfer offers after Boxing Day scouting visit

Leicester City are considering a January move for Aberdeen’s rising star Calvin Ramsay. 

The Foxes sent one of their senior scouts north on Boxing Day to watch the in-demand youngster against Dundee.

The Midlands side have already had previous positive reports from local scouts and data analysis team on a player who if he is sold looks likely to go for a club record fee.

The Premier League side decided to send up one of their main recruitment men to run the rule of Ramsay personally, as he made his starting return to Stephen Glass’s first team.

Right-back is an area that Leicester City are looking at with James Justin coming back from long-term injury and his deputy Ricardo Pereira has now been sidelined for two months with a broken leg.

Belgian international Timothy Castagne, who can play in either full back position, has been played out on the right in recent games.

Leicester know they face stiff competition if they decide to firm up their interest in Ramsay from a number of Premier League and European rivals.

Liverpool, Manchester United, Everton and Newcastle United are amongst a number of clubs who are interested - with Ramsay registering some impressive statistics in his first full season.

Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack has already claimed the data shows that Aberdeen’s young protege is one of the best, young right backs in Europe.

They also know that Ramsay has recently signed a new contract and can hold out for the best deal.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Scouted Football featured him on their podcast a few months ago, he's destined to be a star.

I don't see where he fits in here though unless one of Castagne or Ricardo are sold.

With Ricardo having only 18 months left, and previous interest in Castagne from some of the Italy big boys not too long ago, it wouldn’t surprise me if we see one of them leave at some point in the not to distant future

At 18 he could be sent out on loan for a couple of seasons until we have space for him

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Scouted Football featured him on their podcast a few months ago, he's destined to be a star.

I don't see where he fits in here though unless one of Castagne or Ricardo are sold.

Fits our model.

Also we may not be convince that Riccardo is going to stay fit, could see him going to a less physical league at the end pf his contract.

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

18 year old right back for Aberdeen, started 16 of the 19 games he has been available this season

Sent one of our scouts to watch him on Boxing Day

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/calvin-ramsay-wanted-leicester-aberdeen-25811354

Calvin Ramsay braced for Leicester bid as Aberdeen expect transfer offers after Boxing Day scouting visit

Leicester City are considering a January move for Aberdeen’s rising star Calvin Ramsay. 

The Foxes sent one of their senior scouts north on Boxing Day to watch the in-demand youngster against Dundee.

The Midlands side have already had previous positive reports from local scouts and data analysis team on a player who if he is sold looks likely to go for a club record fee.

The Premier League side decided to send up one of their main recruitment men to run the rule of Ramsay personally, as he made his starting return to Stephen Glass’s first team.

Right-back is an area that Leicester City are looking at with James Justin coming back from long-term injury and his deputy Ricardo Pereira has now been sidelined for two months with a broken leg.

Belgian international Timothy Castagne, who can play in either full back position, has been played out on the right in recent games.

Leicester know they face stiff competition if they decide to firm up their interest in Ramsay from a number of Premier League and European rivals.

Liverpool, Manchester United, Everton and Newcastle United are amongst a number of clubs who are interested - with Ramsay registering some impressive statistics in his first full season.

Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack has already claimed the data shows that Aberdeen’s young protege is one of the best, young right backs in Europe.

They also know that Ramsay has recently signed a new contract and can hold out for the best deal.

Right-back is an area that Leicester City are looking at with James Justin coming back from long-term injury and his deputy Ricardo Pereira has now been sidelined for two months with a broken leg.”

STOP 

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Ricardo will go I feel if we can ever get him injury-free. And if we can’t we’ll still need cover.

9 hours ago, LCCFox96 said:

Half of my family are Aberdeen supporters so I've seen a fair bit of Calvin Ramsay, and whilst it's easy to jump on the 'it's only the SPFL' bandwagon this kid looks the real deal. Ramsay broke through into the first team last season following Derek McInnes' departure under Stephen Glass and made a handful of impressive appearances before the end of the season. He's kicked on this year and had made the right back spot his own prior to picking up an injury that he's just returned from. Given he was 17 at the point he made his debut, and 18 when he locked down the starting position, he's certainly adapted to first team life fairly impressively.

Aberdeen have another young full back - Jack Mackenzie - who plays at left back and has recently committed to a new long term deal. Having both him and Ramsay emerge at the same time has been one of very, very few positives in a turgid couple of seasons for them. Ramsay is the better player though and has a much higher ceiling. Whilst Mackenzie has extended his deal, I think the Aberdeen fanbase know it's 'when, not if' with Ramsay and are hoping (probably in vain) to keep him for another year or so in lieu of another asset like Lewis Ferguson or Ryan Hedges moving on. 

For me, Ramsay plays with a maturity well beyond his years, and certainly has the type of qualities and profile we look for in a full back. He gets forward well and has got about 8 assists in 20 apps this year. He's also capable of playing RWB as well as RB as - likes ourselves - Aberdeen have regularly changed between the two systems. Whether he's quite ready for EPL football or not, I'm not sure. But he'll certainly be on the move in the next window or so, so if we want him and have done our research we'd be wise to move now. I think Leicester would be a great fit for him and if his development was managed well, he could certainly step up long term. As other's have said Ricardo's contract situation and ongoing injuries mean having another option here wouldn't hurt short term, and long term we've a great prospect on our hands.

For what it's worth, the article mentions it would need a club record fee for Aberdeen to sell. That was for Scott McKenna's departure to Forest last summer which was reported at £3mil plus add-ons. Cormack refused to sanction a sale for Ferguson to Watford in the summer at £2mil, so whilst they're relatively cash strapped and a sale like this would enable the Glass-Brown-Russell team to continue transforming the squad I can't see them backing down from their desired fee in this window as Ramsay is under contract until 2024. So this would be decent chunk of change for a young player, but this boy can certainly play. I'd be pretty excited to see this happen. 

Great post, no need for me to go in to any further detail on this kid as you've broke it down perfectly. Not an urgent position we need but with his age and the levels he's already shown it would be a shrewd bit of business. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, moore_94 said:

With Ricardo having only 18 months left, and previous interest in Castagne from some of the Italy big boys not too long ago, it wouldn’t surprise me if we see one of them leave at some point in the not to distant future

At 18 he could be sent out on loan for a couple of seasons until we have space for him

Would make sense for us to sign him and loan him back to Aberdeen if he's getting regular game time providing we have the funds to that without jeopardising other potential signings like a centre back. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think it’s likely Ricardo is off. Unfortunately I think his time here is done.

You're probably right but come the summer given he'll only have 12 months on his contract and having some horrendous luck with injuries for the last 18 months, I can't see us getting any decent money for him. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The Portuguese press were reporting before Xmas that he's provisionally agreed a new 5 year contract.

Interesting if true, I know his latest set back is a result of a foul, but he’s been struggling to return to full fitness for the best part of a season and a bit. I’m a bit concerned he’s done at this level, there’s still time but it just seems to be set back after set back with him. 

• Like 1

Ricardo seems to have pissed off a Haitian voodoo witch and Castagne also seems to pick up consistent niggles (and dare i say has looked defensively dodgy lately), so a young talented RB does not sound like the worst idea. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The Portuguese press were reporting before Xmas that he's provisionally agreed a new 5 year contract.

Not sure that's true.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Not sure that's true.

https://www.record.pt/internacional/paises/inglaterra/leicester-city/detalhe/ricardo-pereira-renova-com-o-leicester

Portuguese international Ricardo Pereira, 28, has renewed his contract with Leicester. According to what Record found, the agreement with the English club was extended for another 5 years, now extending until 2026.