Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Calvin Ramsay

10 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

I think we’ll be selling Ricardo in the summer because he’ll only have a year left and he’s not even mentioned about signing a new contract. In the long term this makes sense. Even if we sign him now and loan him to Aberdeen for the rest of the season.

Don't know how true it is, but it was reported in Portugal (I think it was) that Ricardo has already signed a new contract with us.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...more likely £10m, you are not going to allow a talent with more than two Premier League clubs vying for him to go for less!!!

Possibly. But Aberdeen's transfer record is for Scott McKenna to Forest which was £3mil plus add ons. A jump to £10mil - especially for a club with Aberdeen's finances - is massive. I think any fee to get Ramsay would need to eclipse that of McKenna but I think they would deal at a fair amount lower than £10mil, like £4-6mil. That would wipe all operational and COVID related losses and give them a lot of budget to strengthen. 

Reality is most SPFL clubs will not turn down those fees.

@Muzzy_Larsson - Outside of the Old Firm there can't have been too many players to have moved for £5mil plus which is the sorted of money Ramsay could move for? I can only think of Craig Gordon's move from Hearts to Sunderland.

Edited by LCCFox96
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

Possibly. But Aberdeen's transfer record is for Scott McKenna to Forest which was £3mil plus add ons. A jump to £10mil - especially for a club with Aberdeen's finances - is massive. I think any fee to get Ramsay would need to eclipse that of McKenna but I think they would deal at a fair amount lower than £10mil, like £4-6mil. That would wipe all operational and COVID related losses and give them a lot of budget to strengthen. 

@Muzzy_Larsson - Outside of the Old Firm there can't have been too many players to have moved for £5mil plus which is the sorted of money Ramsay could move for? I can only think of Craig Gordon's move from Hearts to Sunderland.

....you have got to look at the Scottish League who appear to be under selling their assets!!!

They are going continue to suffer in developing their clubs and strengthening their league if they will continue to sanction deals at these prices.

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

....you have got to look at the Scottish League who appear to be under selling their assets!!!

They are going continue to suffer in developing their clubs and strengthening their league if they will continue to sanction deals at these prices.

It's a different world though. It's not a case of underselling, it's more a case of that's their place in the market. First of all take Rangers and Celtic out, then look at it from a player's perspective. Even if you play for Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc, the Championship and top end League 1 clubs can be attractive.

In Scotland you've next to no chance of winning the league, an outside shot at the cups, and will likely only ever play the European qualifying rounds and be eliminated before the group stage. And finances around the league and for the club dictate you can never pick up more than £5-10k per week and that's if you're a top earner at the club. For example, according to reports only Scott Brown and 3 others earn that wage for Aberdeen. But if you move south to the Championship or even Sunderland, Ipswich, Wigan etc, you could pick up 50% more easily enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LCCFox96 said:

Fletcher to Burnley for £3 million was pretty big for the era I guess, although nowhere near the Gordon amount before that.

Also depends if you're looking at Hibs etc selling to Celtic and Rangers, Scott Brown was a decent fee wasn't it I think?

Edited by Tommy Fresh

4 hours ago, LCCFox96 said:

There's not a cat's hell in chance Aberdeen are getting near £10m for any of their players, no matter how good they are. £4-6m is spot on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Fletcher to Burnley for £3 million was pretty big for the era I guess, although nowhere near the Gordon amount before that.

Also depends if you're looking at Hibs etc selling to Celtic and Rangers, Scott Brown was a decent fee wasn't it I think?

£4m for Brown to Celtic.

12 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Decent fee for the period and between Scottish clubs. Hibs seemed to produce no end during the noughties

Yeah they had a whole host of great players in that side. Thing is, the one who had the most ability out of them all, Riordan should have done so much more with his career.

19 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah they had a whole host of great players in that side. Thing is, the one who had the most ability out of them all, Riordan should have done so much more with his career.

Yeah Riordan had the potential to be unbelievable. I watched/listened to an Open Goal episode with Steven Fletcher where he said he felt Riordan and O'Connor had all the ability but being from Edinburgh and staying to play for Hibs probably hindered them development wise. Where as he moved over to join them so wasn't knocking about with old pals etc 

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Yeah Riordan had the potential to be unbelievable. I watched/listened to an Open Goal episode with Steven Fletcher where he said he felt Riordan and O'Connor had all the ability but being from Edinburgh and staying to play for Hibs probably hindered them development wise. Where as he moved over to join them so wasn't knocking about with old pals etc 

Yeah that's exactly it, these strikers that Hibs produce from Edinburgh seem to be lacking something mentally and never fulfil their potential, Riordan, O'Connor and now Griffiths. Fletcher the exception but he's a Glasgow boy.

Riordan particularly could have been frightening if he applied himself. Got banned from every pub and club in Edinburgh for two years at one point.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2022 at 18:09, LCCFox96 said:

It's a different world though. It's not a case of underselling, it's more a case of that's their place in the market. First of all take Rangers and Celtic out, then look at it from a player's perspective. Even if you play for Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc, the Championship and top end League 1 clubs can be attractive.

In Scotland you've next to no chance of winning the league, an outside shot at the cups, and will likely only ever play the European qualifying rounds and be eliminated before the group stage. And finances around the league and for the club dictate you can never pick up more than £5-10k per week and that's if you're a top earner at the club. For example, according to reports only Scott Brown and 3 others earn that wage for Aberdeen. But if you move south to the Championship or even Sunderland, Ipswich, Wigan etc, you could pick up 50% more easily enough.

This is spot on. There are guys in the Scottish top flight earning £500 per week and things like that, it was even less when Hamilton were in the league. Players will earn more, in average terms, excluding the old firm national league sides in England in a lot of cases.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah that's exactly it, these strikers that Hibs produce from Edinburgh seem to be lacking something mentally and never fulfil their potential, Riordan, O'Connor and now Griffiths. Fletcher the exception but he's a Glasgow boy.

Riordan particularly could have been frightening if he applied himself. Got banned from every pub and club in Edinburgh for two years at one point.

You can add Cummings to the list as well, does seem a strange pattern doesn't it?

• Like 1

The players Hibs had between 2000 and 2003ish is crazy when you think about it. 

Nick Colgan

Steven Whittiker

Ulrik Laursen

Gary Caldwell

Matthias Jack

Frank Suazee 

Kevin Thompson

Ian Murray

Scott Brown

Russel Latapy

Steven Fletcher

Gary O'connor

Derek Riordan

....Mad. 

20 minutes ago, Scotch said:

The players Hibs had between 2000 and 2003ish is crazy when you think about it. 

Nick Colgan

Steven Whittiker

Ulrik Laursen

Gary Caldwell

Matthias Jack

Frank Suazee 

Kevin Thompson

Ian Murray

Scott Brown

Russel Latapy

Steven Fletcher

Gary O'connor

Derek Riordan

....Mad. 

....is this a Scottish thing, these names do not ring any bells with me!!!

38 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....is this a Scottish thing, these names do not ring any bells with me!!!

I mean, having a knowledge of Scottish football at that time would definately be an advantage but a few of them played at a decent level in England. 

Whitiker in the PL for Norwich.

Caldwell in PL for Newcastle.

Fletcher in PL for a few teams.

O'connor in PL for Birmingham.

The majority of the rest played for Celtic or Rangers at some point during a really good time for Scottish football. Thompson and Laursen got to Uefa Cup finals with each of them and Frank Suazee won the Champions league with Marseille. 

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

This is spot on. There are guys in the Scottish top flight earning £500 per week and things like that, it was even less when Hamilton were in the league. Players will earn more, in average terms, excluding the old firm national league sides in England in a lot of cases.

Adam Rooney to Salford City being a prime example. Averaged nearly a goal every other game in an SPFL club consistently hitting the European spots and ****ed it off for non-league. Albeit for a nice salary for the level I'd guess at Salford.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LCCFox96 said:

Adam Rooney to Salford City being a prime example. Averaged nearly a goal every other game in an SPFL club consistently hitting the European spots and ****ed it off for non-league. Albeit for a nice salary for the level I'd guess at Salford.

Yeah a very pertinent example that.

24 minutes ago, DezFox said:

Bologna you have put in offer apparently around 4m  doubt we were ever really after him. 

That will be annoying, just like with Aaron Hickey it's an easy 400-500% profit with 1 half decent season back to the UK.

• Like 2

http://sportwitness.co.uk/leicester-city-race-18-year-old-price-tag-risen-recent-weeks/

Leicester City ‘above all’ in race for 18-year-old – ‘Price tag has risen’ in recent weeks

Having nearly finally managed to offload Andreas Skov Olsen somewhere, with Club Brugge seemingly the lucky winners in that race, Bologna now need a replacement, with Aberdeen’s Calvin Ramsay their favourite target.

The last we did on the wee right-back involved Leeds United battling with the Serie A side, but local newspaper Corriere Di Bologna believe Leicester City are also on the case.

Ramsay is said to be the ‘number one goal’ for the Italians, but it’s made clear ‘an economic effort’ will be needed to ‘snatch him’ from the competitions, comprised of ‘many interested Premier League clubs’.

That’s where Leicester are mentioned, with Brendan Rodgers’ side said to be ‘above all’.

As for the price needed to convince Aberdeen to part ways with their starlet, it’s said ‘the price tag has risen to over €5m in recent weeks’.

That’s relatively easy money for a Premier League club like the Foxes, but for Bologna that’s quite the ask, even if they are meant to be getting at least €6m for Skov Olsen.

Who will be victorious, then? Leeds? Leicester? Or will it be Bologna, keen to unite Calvin Ramsay with his compatriot Aaron Hickey?