Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ryan Bertrand

5 hours ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Could we not all club together and pay him off. 

His performance in Napoli was one of the worse I've seen from a Leicester player and I've seen some crap over 45 years. 

He single handedly cost us a place in the last 16 - Gerrimout

That was the stand out day for me and the irony of the contrast in effort, the fans who were there had put in all that effort (and suffered all that nonsense from the police diverting the coach and arriving late) and he couldn't be a***d to break out of a trot into a sprint. The playing them onside moment was possibly the most amateur thing I've ever seen from a pro and other goals, you pause the TV picture and he's not even on the screen yet as the ball nestles in the back of the net, gone AWOL and casually walking back. It devalues the badge to have that lack of effort around, I'd take a Coatsworth or Jimmy Willis over him any day as at least they were tryers who put their body on the line. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'd rather we stuck to not handing out contracts longer than a year to players over the age of 31/32. I've never had a problem signing a few squad filler, that's all he was. But just go year by year, if they won't accept it then go elsewhere. 

A squad filler shouldn’t be commanding over £60k a week in wages… that’s just poor business.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I think it's really obvious what the club were thinking - give Thomas more time and JJ and Ricardo a chance to get up to speed, unfortunately, Bertrand just hasn't been up to scratch. It's ashame because he looked decent vs Villareal and Man City at the end of pre-season last year. 

The intension may well have been obvious but it was clear to most looking from the outside that he wasn't the right fit for that role. And so it has proved. He was never going to be the Fuchs replacement. 

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I think it's really obvious what the club were thinking - give Thomas more time and JJ and Ricardo a chance to get up to speed, unfortunately, Bertrand just hasn't been up to scratch. It's ashame because he looked decent vs Villareal and Man City at the end of pre-season last year. 

He definitely has long covid. I thought he'd be a decent signing. As for Vestergaard always thought he'd be crap 

31 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Ww would have been better off signing Fuchs on for another year. What a honking singing from Brendan.

Fuchs didn’t want to stay for another year, he had already stayed 2 years longer than he originally planned

4 minutes ago, teblin said:

Was decent in the shield final, and looked decent against Villarreal other than that poor. Could Covid had that big of an impact on him?  I wouldn’t have thought so.

COVID affects people differently. I know some folks back to normal, and others still get easily fatigued.

6 minutes ago, teblin said:

Was decent in the shield final, and looked decent against Villarreal other than that poor. Could Covid had that big of an impact on him?  I wouldn’t have thought so.

2 years of muck performances for Southampton prior would suggest it’s too simple to say COVID ruined our version of Roberto Carlos 😜

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Obviously there's more to this story and stuff that hasn't been made public. 

That said, Wtf were the club doing even signing this player? It's just confirmed what fans of both clubs predicted. It's all very odd. 

Yes, if we could all see it, and we could, why couldn’t those paid very handsomely TO see such things?  It is events like this that makes the average FT poster is probably equally qualified to make such decisions. 🤣

23 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

Yeah we’ve properly ****ed it with this chump. What was it, a 3 year contract?

He’s nowhere near the first team and nobody is dumb enough to go for him. He’s gonna sit around and collect his extortionate wages, and why wouldn’t he?

Time to terminate his contract, 

10 hours ago, Babylon said:

Why? 

Because a squad filler is someone who will play 5-10 games a season (mainly cup games) £60k is a lot of money in wages and not far off what a lot of first team regulars will be earning if not more than a few of them. 

This is also with me being generous as it’s rumoured he’s earning £70-75k. To be paying that type of money for a 4th choice left back (Justin, Castagne & Thomas) it’s baffling. 

if you don’t think that is poor business then I don’t know what more to tell you… especially for a club that’s had a problem freeing up wages the last couple of seasons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Because a squad filler is someone who will play 5-10 games a season (mainly cup games) £60k is a lot of money in wages and not far off what a lot of first team regulars will be earning if not more than a few of them. 

This is also with me being generous as it’s rumoured he’s earning £70-75k. To be paying that type of money for a 4th choice left back (Justin, Castagne & Thomas) it’s baffling. 

if you don’t think that is poor business then I don’t know what more to tell you… especially for a club that’s had a problem freeing up wages the last couple of seasons.

But you want them to be capable don't you? The issue here isn't what he's paid, it's the fact he's been poor. 

If there is nobody in the youth to promote, then the options are buying someone or getting a free / loan. All of which has have their cost implications. If you bought a championship left back for £10m and paid him 40k a week. It would cost you more in the long run (£12m more over the length of a 4 year contract). With no guarantee of a return due to them not really having a pathway through the team considering our other options. 

And let's not forget here, Justin & Ricardo have both had long term injuries and Castagne has been constantly in and out due to injuries. So there was a specific need of of a short term cover replacement. Hopefully good enough to play if needed considering the other injuries, but also not going to block pathways of young players. 

He fit what we needed at the moment, It's just not worked out. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, NasPb said:

He definitely has long covid. I thought he'd be a decent signing. As for Vestergaard always thought he'd be crap 

How can you say he DEFINITELY has long covid? The odds of that are extremely unlikely. Maybe the chances are higher that fans of the selling club were right when they said they couldn't believe we took him?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yes and lose a player whilst paying him what he's owed. 

One of them climate change protestors could play the opposition onside by being chained to the goalposts as fluently as Ryan can and if they're under 21 then we ain't got to name them in our 25 man squad.

GET HIM GONE

• Like 1
  • Haha 3