Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Charles De Ketelaere

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

We'll get about half that, if we can get them all shifted at all. Who's going to come in for Perez for example? 

I'm genuinely baffled that people still think we're going to just easily shift out rejects. 

We've rarely managed that at any point since, well, I mean any point in our history to be honest? 

For as long as foxestalk has existed there's been people over stating how easy it'll be to get rid of muck we don't want. We pay almost all of those guys more than they're worth, why would they voluntarily leave before their contract is up? They can hang around here, get paid wedge, then get massive signing on bonuses for their next club if they leave as a free transfer. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Things aren't actually that rosy for us at the moment, and everyone shouting down anyone pointing this out doesn't change the facts. 

Mmmm I'm genuinely concerned for us. The next 2 summers are so important. Looking at our situation, it's not out the realms of possibility that we're in a position where we're left with a very mediocre overpaid squad that will do well to finish in the top 14, never mind top 6.

11 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Spot on. also, as I said in the Youri tread, what if, for example, we sell:

Ward £10m

Soyuncu £25m

Praet £8m

Perez £10m

That's £53m right there, and those figures are realistic imo, on top.

Those estimates are truly comedic.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm genuinely baffled that people still think we're going to just easily shift out rejects. 

We've rarely managed that at any point since, well, I mean any point in our history to be honest? 

For as long as foxestalk has existed there's been people over stating how easy it'll be to get rid of muck we don't want. We pay almost all of those guys more than they're worth, why would they voluntarily leave before their contract is up? They can hang around here, get paid wedge, then get massive signing on bonuses for their next club if they leave as a free transfer. 

Never said it's easy. Just pointing out that there is alternatives to selling Youri and still being able to do things in the market.

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

Never said it's easy. Just pointing out that there is alternatives to selling Youri and still being able to do things in the market.

Mental alternatives not grounded in reality though to be fair. 

Another alternative is that the club buys some euromillions tickets and wins the jackpot.

7 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

We'll get about half that, if we can get them all shifted at all. Who's going to come in for Perez for example? 

The only chance we’ve got of getting rid of perez, Vestergaard, Hamza, Bertrand etc is making them available on free transfers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah. People want our players to sign long contracts that allow us to command huge fees if other clubs come knocking, but then at the same time want us to be able to shift out underperformers immediately.  

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Mental alternatives not grounded in reality though to be fair. 

Another alternative is that the club buys some euromillions tickets and wins the jackpot.

very 'glass half empty'. Anyhoo... better get back to work! (hopefully LCFC staff are working as hard as me in the background!!!)

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Dusty said:

This isn’t football a manger where you just submit bids all the time. You spend ages talking to the club and negotiating and then submit a bid. We don’t just send an email saying “€40m for CDK”. Stop over reacting people.

Yeah, in general you don't submit a bid unless you have agreed to personal terms with the player. The hyperventilation on this thread in unreal.

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah. People want our players to sign long contracts that allow us to command huge fees if other clubs come knocking, but then at the same time want us to be able to shift out underperformers immediately.  

I have noticed that the buy cheap , sell expensive posters still think we can get away with it. Now , its buy expensive ,Fofana, and sell even more expensive , being the more likely scenario. However if a club comes in with a big offer for Wesley , 99% of people on here won't want him to go even if it is good business.

34 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I am finding it a bit weird to be honest. 

For the manager to so publicly talk about a rebuild months ago and actually openly imply there'd be more than average transfer activity. 

Then for us to have this much radio silence, especially given how early we like to do our business. It is a bit odd. 

I'm not really all that impatient or melodramatic so I'm not at the same levels of hysteria as a lot of FT but something definitely doesn't quite add up. 

I'd have thought something like a centre back has to come in regardless of the other business we do, I'm surprised we haven't seen some movement in a cheapish Soyuncu/Benkovic/Justin sort of style bit of recruitment. 

Maybe we're a bit hesitant after last summer? We did all our business very early then got a pretty serious pre season injury and had to re think our plans, panic bought, spuffed 15m away that probably cost us a shot at our preferred winger and it turned out the defender we bought was useless anyway. 

Going back to March or earlier it was reported we'd have to sell to buy. When a manager talks as he did, it was clear he wanted a lot of outgoings and thus I just presumed there was going to be a heck of a lot of trading in and out going on. I'm sure once a few deals happen with players leaving, we'll start to see movement in. The outs are just going to be difficult, unwanted high earners aren't easy to shift and we are liking to keep taking financial hits on them. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Beat me to it.  Who on earth would pay a penny for Perez? I hope I'm wrong I really do.  

2 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Beat me to it.  Who on earth would pay a penny for Perez? I hope I'm wrong I really do.  

Yeah, tbh, I'm clearly over optimistic with regards to Perez. He was a really bad bit of business wasn't he. He's given us moments of hope and happiness, but they've been too few and far between

1 hour ago, Dusty said:

This isn’t football a manger where you just submit bids all the time. You spend ages talking to the club and negotiating and then submit a bid. We don’t just send an email saying “€40m for CDK”. Stop over reacting people.

Absolutely. Still over 2 months left in the transfer window too. Why does everyone go into panic mode when we don't sign 9 players in the opening 10 minutes of every window?

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Our fans really under rate Perez. I think most outside of LCFC see him as a solid PL player (which is, pretty much what he is) 

But it's our fans that actually watch him play.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding.  I mean there must be demand for 'solid PL players' at around £15m.  Let's see if there are any takers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Our fans really under rate Perez. I think most outside of LCFC see him as a solid PL player (which is, pretty much what he is) 

Agree. He was a key part in making 4-1-4-1 work when we played some of our best football because of his work-rate and pressing. He's also been a good impact sub as well. 

Problem is the money we paid for him - his performances haven't matched that the quality expected from that kind of transfer fee. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

so they are all lining up to buy him then?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Yeah, tbh, I'm clearly over optimistic with regards to Perez. He was a really bad bit of business wasn't he. He's given us moments of hope and happiness, but they've been too few and far between

As with all things it's never black and white.  I don't think he was ever comfortable out wide and looks better through the middle.  Definitely had moments where you think you're about to see why we paid good money for him but overall a massive, massive flop.  Can't ever forget his pretty bad miss against Chelsea end of season before last was it? Just feel if that had gone in we'd have made the CL places and he's basically repaid his transfer fee twice over.  Fine margins.  

I hope he leaves and I hope he does well for another team.  

24 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

It's all subjective but I don't think they do.  My wife is a Charlton fan for example but watches all our games.  She thinks he's atrocious much of the time.   I hope you're right and I'm wrong because we should be able to sell him if other fans/clubs rate him.  Let's see!