Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Charles De Ketelaere

How much did we get out of Brugge for Sowah last season? Decent fee wasnt it? Hopefully they haven't paid us all of that upfront so we can offset what they owe? :dunno:

Edited by EnderbyFox

2 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Don't fret..

We've still got Vestergaard and Bertrand!

Kick a man while he’s down. Had to hide the toilet duck this evening, it’s looking like a tasty tipple about now.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

How much did we get out of Brugge for Sowah last season? Decent fee wasnt it? Hopefully they haven't paid us all of that upfront so we can offset what they owe? :dunno:

think it was something like 9-10m

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...don't even joke about that!!!

He is not a player who wants to be in this country, you can tell all he wants is to be at Barca.

jokes on him, he isn't good enough for them either

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

think it was something like 9-10m

...it was £8.1m, a surprisingly good deal out of the blue!!!

His ratings are dropping like a stone, he started tapering at OHL in his final season and I feel he is a bit too into himself. He has only himself to blame while his career goes down the pan, but he needs to start working on his game as he is not as good as he thinks he is, talent is not everything.

1 hour ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Yes true, I’ll be honest I don’t know a lot about this guy but have heard he is good from various sources. My post was more an expression of general frustration on our lack of any activity in the transfer window so far. 
As we have seen in the past here and at other clubs players that sign late in the window and don’t get a full pre season with their new club tend to take longer to settle in and don’t hit the ground running.

As well as this Rodgers wanting to rebuild the team with reportedly 5-6 new players is obviously now not going to happen and looks like it might have just been another excuse to buy him time. (For the record I am generally supportive of Rodgers although have had my moments where I have wavered but some of the comments and excuses he comes out with do really annoy me)

And on top of it all we can’t afford two seasons in a row of not or hardly strengthening the team whilst other teams around us improve. We already have a squad that lacks quality outside of the first 11 and a few mid to long term injuries could see us having a really poor season 

sorry for the rant but needed to get it off my chest

It's not a case of us deliberately signing players late in the window, we are in a position where we need to shift players before we can sign players 1.  Because our wage bill is too high and 2. Because we currently have 27 first team players in our squad yet can only register 25. 

We don't have the luxury like the big clubs of being able to afford players in our squad that can't even play because they aren't registered in the 25 man squad. 

As frustrating as the transfer window can be, I'm sure the people at the top of the club are doing their best to try and get deals done to move players on so we can bring new players in. It literally will be 1 in 1 out for the whole window so our incomings will depend on other clubs wanting to take some of our unwanted players. We desperately need to shift Tielemans, Soyuncu and Praet to free up wages and give us some extra transfer funds. If we can somehow negotiate exits for them 3 over the next few weeks then it will start a domino effect that will see us hopefully bringing in some new faces. 

Another key thing is waiting to sign the right players. We don't want to rush and end up with another Vestergaard, Bertrand or Soumare. 

Edited by jayfox26
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

It's not a case of us deliberately signing players late in the window, we are in a position where we need to shift players before we can sign players 1.  Because our wage bill is too high and 2. Because we currently have 27 first team players in our squad yet can only register 25. 

We don't have the luxury like the big clubs of being able to afford players in our squad that can't even play because they aren't registered in the 25 man squad. 

As frustrating as the transfer window can be, I'm sure the people at the top of the club are doing their best to try and get deals done to move players on so we can bring new players in. It literally will be 1 in 1 out for the whole window so our incomings will depend on other clubs wanting to take some of our unwanted players. We desperately need to shift Tielemans, Soyuncu and Praet to free up wages and give us some extra transfer funds. If we can somehow negotiate exits for them 3 over the next few weeks then it will start a domino effect that will see us hopefully bringing in some new faces. 

Another key thing is waiting to sign the right players. We don't want to rush and end up with another Vestergaard, Bertrand or Soumare. 

I'd tend to agree but I'd wager a guess that signings like CDK could be made before any outgoings simply because of the nature and profile of it.

19 minutes ago, Phenom said:

Ownership needs to invest. If not, we’ll get stuck in mid table mediocrity until we lose more and more players. If they can’t afford it - sell.

...sell the club or players!!!

FFP is a barrier to any investment from our owners, the problem which has been mentioned continuously is our wages are too high in respect of our trading revenue. The squad numbers are also a factor as we need to reduce the squad size.

26 minutes ago, Phenom said:

Ownership needs to invest. If not, we’ll get stuck in mid table mediocrity until we lose more and more players. If they can’t afford it - sell.

Sell to who though? Nobody short of some mad oligarch or an oil state's sovereign wealth fund is going to come in and start spunking enough money to get us entrenched in the top six, and personally that's not really the future I want to see for us. Mid-table mediocrity in the Premier League with the occasional foray into Europe is basically the best any club without a nation-shaped sugar daddy can hope for.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Guest said:

Sell to who though? Nobody short of some mad oligarch or an oil state's sovereign wealth fund is going to come in and start spunking enough money to get us entrenched in the top six, and personally that's not really the future I want to see for us. Mid-table mediocrity in the Premier League with the occasional foray into Europe is basically the best any club without a nation-shaped sugar daddy can hope for.

A team that is only Mid-table mediocrity standard, isn't likely to win a cup these days either, so unlikely to be having the occasional foray into Europe.  Its a difficult one, because I think the owners are trying to do it the right way, but unfortunately there seems to be more clubs now willing to throw money at it. So it is inevitable that at some point we will get left behind. The truth is, if you have good players in your team they want to be competing for top 6 at least, and trophies. If you settle for mid table the likes of Fofana and Maddison will want to move. Then because you're only seen as a mid-table team at best, then you can't attract the better players, and the slippery slide starts, and before you know it, settling for mid-table mediocrity becomes a relegation battle  and eventually you go the way of Stoke, and end up back in the wasteland of the Championship. You can not afford to stand still in the Premier league, you really can't, you have to keep moving forward and improving, and unless you have a fantastic recruitment team, that can spot a gem thats a bargain, in the way that we used too, but has sadly seemed a little lacking lately, then spending money is the only chance.

Edited by smudger63
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Guest said:

Outside of the financial big six 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, foxpleasure said:

How times have changed. I remember when mid table mediocrity was but a pipe dream.

One of the reasons that we have been relegated so often in our history, is because we as a club through our history have been happy to settle for mid table. Eventually mid table becomes a relegation battle, and then relegation, and so completes the circle. Since our last promotion, we have never had or given ourselves a better chance of aiming higher and not being happy with being an average mid table, eventually to be relegated club, but at the moment I think we are at a crossroads. It depends which road we choose to go down that will determine the future of the club.

Edited by smudger63
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, foxpleasure said:

How times have changed. I remember when mid table mediocrity was but a pipe dream.

But changed they have and we can't keep using our past shortcomings as a benchmark for today. Since the day our latest owners took over it has been an upward trajectory which seems to have bottomed out at the moment. But that doesn't mean we have to accept going backwards. 

I remember when clubs like Liverpool and Man city were second division sides but their fans don't say their aspirations were to live with midtable mediocrity and nor should we. Lets wait until the transfer deadline is past before we criticize to much. 

• Like 4