Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Charles De Ketelaere

Just now, pmcla26 said:

Who's to say that Vestergaard and Soumare won't have better seasons, and the others all go? Maybe optimistic, but isn't impossible. 

Vestergaard was a panic buy as back up. In an ideal scenario he would be nowhere near the first team which makes the decision to fork out 15 million and give him a huge long contract all the more perplexing. 

Soumare might improve he might not but Rodgers stopped fancying him towards the end of last season and once he does that its very very hard for a player to come back. 

We might be great at getting good prices for players we don't want to sell but we are hideous at selling players we do want to sell. There needs to be more balance and you'd have thought after the 16/17 window the club would have wised up but here we are again stuck in a similar situation with expensive flops on huge contracts we can't shift. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dames said:

So we're going to miss out on improving the squad this year because the club signed a lot of duffers and stuck them on high contracts? The notion we are well run is being tested more and more with each passing day.

There's no way we'll be able to shift Perez, Vestergaard, Praet, Choudary, Mendy, Soumare etc in one window and that is what 350k a weeks worth of wages? dreadful. 

I personally would be open to giving Praet an extended role in the squad, but if he wants to leave than fair enough. I’d even give Soumare the chance to adapt.

As you say it’s a lot of deadwood to shift. I shudder to think at the wasted money - just look at Perez and Vestergaard at a combined fee of something like £40-45m? Disgusting.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Rumours of arsenal and lyon fighting with milan for him - and leeds watching on from next door's garden 

Rumours that you started spreading because I cant find anything on it?

• Like 1

Won't be able to afford him (in terms of paying all his fees and potentially paying other players who we fail to shift).

Just gotta suck it up sadly.

I'd rather we sign players we're sure about this summer, saves us being in this situation again in 3 years time, with 3 or 4 expensive players who aren't good enough who nobody wants to sign from us.

More than enough in this squad to challenge for the top 7 (providing Rodgers doesn't go into self destruct mode), maybe we just need a season of focusing on that and then clear the decks next summer. However I am confident we'll shift 2 or 3 of the deadwood and sign 2 or 3 replacements, but they'll be better quality, on lower wages or on loan, saving us money in the long run, or have the potential to be sold for a decent transfer fee in a few years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

We are not a club that can afford to be paying multiple players to not be in the 25 man squad. 

The tweet states that it isn't a financial concern, but the negative side of paying players who are outside of the 25 man squad is a financial concern. It's also not stopped us doing it previously for players like Mendy, Choudhury etc.

I think they are hiding behind the squad space excuse.

40 minutes ago, Ricey said:

The tweet states that it isn't a financial concern, but the negative side of paying players who are outside of the 25 man squad is a financial concern. It's also not stopped us doing it previously for players like Mendy, Choudhury etc.

I think they are hiding behind the squad space excuse.

We have the worst turnover to wage ratio in the league if I remember correctly. We're not a club that can pay players not to play.

24 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

We have the worst turnover to wage ratio in the league if I remember correctly. We're not a club that can pay players not to play.

I agree, but my point is that the Mercury are stating that the lack of transfers isn't down to funds, it's down to squad spaces, but that's not true. As you say, we have a horrendous wage bill and we need to get it down, that's the real reason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I agree, but my point is that the Mercury are stating that the lack of transfers isn't down to funds, it's down to squad spaces, but that's not true. As you say, we have a horrendous wage bill and we need to get it down, that's the real reason.

Our wage bill isn't great but it isn't anywhere near "horrendous" as you've put it. We're around 80% wage to turnover ratio currently, we were at 105% the year before, and in due time our current two biggest earners, making up a big chunk of the wage bill, will not be an issue anymore. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

Our wage bill isn't great but it isn't anywhere near "horrendous" as you've put it. We're around 80% wage to turnover ratio currently, we were at 105% the year before, and in due time our current two biggest earners, making up a big chunk of the wage bill, will not be an issue anymore. 

I think there will be a "great unloading" of the wage bill this summer (either through outright sales or loan moves). I think our two biggest earners will be signing new deals -- although I expect them to be either 1 or 2 year extensions. I am not as worried as some about the financial situation. The club will often play the long game on transfers (especially outgoing, if they think they can squeeze a few more pounds), and even on incomings (like the Fofana saga), and this forum will lose its head, thinking the club is broke. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

....isn't it one and the same...!!!

If our squad is added to it will only increase our wages spend. We reduce the squad, we reduce the wages. We could however have a situation where we have a bloated squad and we select players to make up the required number of "registered" players, but that would be a terrible waste of money and put us in the firing line of FFP.

I feel the delay to the stadium expansion has left us more funds available than we know about, but the club is perhaps keeping that close to their chests. The sooner we get this expansion out of the way the sooner we will have a bigger budget to spend in the end-of-season window.

9 hours ago, chapero82 said:

A fully squad is very unlikely to happen all through the season and with losing some of our best players possibly e.g Youri and a declining Vardy this season could end up going quite badly.

I take your point but the same can happen to all teams. Vardy is surely not going to be able to play every game and neither should we expect him to. The same goes for all clubs main strikers. However, how many teams have back ups as good as Iheanacho and Daka, if they are played to their strengths. 

Tielemans hardly set the world alight last year and I personally, if Rodgers plays a 3 again, would bench him in favour of Ndidi, Maddison and KDH. Let Tielemans fight for his place and sweat on his World Cup first team inclusion. If he doesn't pull his finger out and play then his chances at a big club next year dwindle somewhat. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I take your point but the same can happen to all teams. Vardy is surely not going to be able to play every game and neither should we expect him to. The same goes for all clubs main strikers. However, how many teams have back ups as good as Iheanacho and Daka, if they are played to their strengths. 

Tielemans hardly set the world alight last year and I personally, if Rodgers plays a 3 again, would bench him in favour of Ndidi, Maddison and KDH. Let Tielemans fight for his place and sweat on his World Cup first team inclusion. If he doesn't pull his finger out and play then his chances at a big club next year dwindle somewhat. 

I’m sorry but Iheanacho isn’t that good as a striker and the jury is still out on Daka

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

I’m sorry but Iheanacho isn’t that good as a striker and the jury is still out on Daka

What’s that got to with anything? Nacho and/or Daka being cack does not stop Vardy from ageing lol

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

What’s that got to with anything? Nacho and/or Daka being cack does not stop Vardy from ageing lol

He quoted “The same goes for all clubs main strikers. However, how many teams have back ups as good as Iheanacho and Daka, if they are played to their strengths. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chapero82 said:

Regardless of how he looks ie clumsy at times, he scores goals, all sorts of goals, but he's best in a two. Daka played in the way he played at his former club will score goals. Again, another successful player doing one thing that Rodgers tries to change to another way.

• Like 1