Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Wordle - a daily word game

23 minutes ago, Nick said:

Wordle 659 4/6

🟨🟩
🟨🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Err, hmm.

I went through the 5 letter scrabble word cheat to try and find this... and it wasn't there. It's an informal American word I'd never heard of. I often see people post on here their answers and sometimes suspect they have most certainly cheated, so in the interests of transparency, with no words in the dictionary left that fitted... I had to look up the answer today.

I've never cheated personally, I don't see the point on what is essentially a bit of a fun brain tease.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Flamey said:

I've never cheated personally, I don't see the point on what is essentially a bit of a fun brain tease.

Me neither. I've sometimes taken ages to get it, and more recently seem to be trying random letters that don't look like words! But cheating would be a bit pointless

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Me neither. I've sometimes taken ages to get it, and more recently seem to be trying random letters that don't look like words! But cheating would be a bit pointless

Exactly this, also.. sometimes I have to go back to it multiple times through the day too hoping for inspiration 😟

6 minutes ago, Flamey said:

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Me neither until today! And that was because there wasn't an English word I'd ever heard of that fitted the very specific letter combinations I had available...

There are a few on here though that do look up the answer quite regularly, I reckon! 

Wordle 659 4/6

🟨
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I also have comments on the validity of this word, which I've used personally but which I don't believe should have been fairly entered.  I'm happy to enter any discussion on it but would prefer that this is left until tomorrow as this would give a pointer to anyone else reading this before attempting Wordle today.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Flamey said:

Exactly this.  There aren't too many of use who post regularly on this thread and I've never suspected any of them of cheating.  There's only one person who I'm pretty sure has looked up the answers and he does it and posts as a joke from time to time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Wordle 659 4/6

🟨🟩
🟨🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Err, hmm.

I went through the 5 letter scrabble word cheat to try and find this... and it wasn't there. It's an informal American word I'd never heard of. I often see people post on here their answers and sometimes suspect they have most certainly cheated, so in the interests of transparency, with no words in the dictionary left that fitted... I had to look up the answer today.

Wordle 659 6/6

🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I had to do exactly the same. Used up so many letters. Never even heard of the word, and the letters don’t really make any sense.

Would never have got the word otherwise.

Wordle 659 5/6

🟩🟨

🟨

🟨

🟩🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

As above, bit hard that one. Fortunately I had a free hit left to just button mash until the correct answer. 

Wordle 659 3/6

🟨🟨
🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The only word that fitted with the letters I had, but kind of appropriate, given that my toddler grandsons have been staying.

nerdlegame 445 3/6

🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟪🟪🟩🟪🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#waffle443 3/5

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

🔥 streak: 3
wafflegame.net

• Like 1

Don't normally post in this thread, but I was curious to the reaction.

Wordle 659 4/6

🟨

🟨🟩🟨

🟩🟩🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

it's certainly not a common word but I've definitely heard it and read it a number of times. By guess 4 I had letters 1,2,5 so it was the only thing I could think of that would fit.

13 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Don't normally post in this thread, but I was curious to the reaction.

Wordle 659 4/6

🟨

🟨🟩🟨

🟩🟩🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

it's certainly not a common word but I've definitely heard it and read it a number of times. By guess 4 I had letters 1,2,5 so it was the only thing I could think of that would fit.

My mother-in-law is stuck on this, which in of itself is a delight. I'm perfectly happy with it as a word, common enough usage I'd say.  Often in a work context I've found. 

9 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Wordle 659 6/6

🟨🟨
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Only word that could fit, never heard of it and did google to see if it was a word before typing it in 

Wordle 659 5/6

🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I got it more by luck than knowledge. Only after I got the result did I check the meaning.

Surely it's an acronym rather than a word.

Similar to FUBAR

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Wordle 659 5/6

🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I got it more by luck than knowledge. Only after I got the result did I check the meaning.

Surely it's an acronym rather than a word.

Similar to FUBAR

This was my first thought. I thought of the word before I tried it, but discounted it thinking it was an acronym, turned out it's an actual word!

I want to give my own reaction to yesterdays word - SNAFU.

My first experience of the use of this 'word' was in 1980 when I was working as a commissioning engineer on a site in South America.  I didn't know what it meant so asked one of the senior engineers.  He advised me that it was an acronym - it's original use had been by the Navy, where it stood for:

Signal Noted And Fully Understood

However on site I was to understand that this had been changed to:

Situation Normal All F****d Up

I heard this term used occasionally throughout my career, and sometimes, I believe incorrectly, as a noun.

I don't think anyone could be expected to guess an acronym as a 'word' on Wordle, I can only think that the setter wasn't aware of its use as such.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

My first experience of the use of this 'word' was in 1980 when I was working as a commissioning engineer on a site in South America.  I didn't know what it meant so asked one of the senior engineers.  He advised me that it was an acronym - it's original use had been by the Navy, where it stood for:

I heard this term used occasionally throughout my career, and sometimes, I believe incorrectly, as a noun.

I don't think anyone could be expected to guess an acronym as a 'word' on Wordle, I can only think that the setter wasn't aware of its use as such.  

There is a film called SNAFU that's not being released years after filming..it has John Cena in so became a bit of an online joke for that reason. 

Thats the main reason for me knowing the word 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

I first heard of it from Saving Private Ryan, i guess I never expected a Wordle answer to be an acronym. I do accept that it's possible it has been added as a 'word' at some point though? But does that now mean we have to consider other 5 letter acronyms as possible answers? SWALK, BYOBB  etc?

Edited by Flamey
Spell

4 minutes ago, Flamey said:

I first heard of it from Saving Private Ryan, i guess I never expected a Wordle answer to be an acronym. I do accept that it's possible it has been added as a 'word' at some point though? But does that now mean we have to consider other 5 letter acronyms as possible answers? SWALK, BYOBB  etc?

... actually..looking into this (5 letter acronyms) we would probably not have moaned if it was Scuba, Radar or Taser..so maybe it's just as valid an answer?  

....Christ I wish I was still asleep 😂

• Haha 1