Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Wordle - a daily word game

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

Brain fart on move 3, but when you exclude that many different letters with wrong guesses there are less and less potential words!

Wordle 221 4/6

🟨
🟩
🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Consistency is the name of the game: 4 is par for most words, but I'd say tricky words with repeated letters would be par 5. A lot of luck needed to get a 3.

image.png.f4d155c57aace1d19d70a19fdeb71bad.png 

I remain very suspicious of the amounts of 2s and 3s people put on here... Either very lucky, getting hints from somewhere for doing it on another device first to make themselves look good...

It brings to mind the story someone I used to work with told me that a chap sat opposite him on the train every morning doing the crossword. One day, he left the paper behind, and my colleague picked it up and saw that he actually just sat there filling in gibberish to make himself look clever to strangers!

I've got it in two once and in three six times, out of 20 attempts. Four is my most common at 11, and think that's the average for everyone.

It's all down to the first word for example one day the word was WINCE. I guessed SPACE as my first word and so knew it ended CE from that. Then I guessed TWICE and so knew it was word ending CE with a W and I in there somewhere, so I guessed WINCE next. So its possible to get it in three.

The two was complete guess and pure luck I think, but I can't remember what that one was.

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

Brain fart on move 3, but when you exclude that many different letters with wrong guesses there are less and less potential words!

Wordle 221 4/6

🟨
🟩
🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Consistency is the name of the game: 4 is par for most words, but I'd say tricky words with repeated letters would be par 5. A lot of luck needed to get a 3.

I remain very suspicious of the amounts of 2s and 3s people put on here... Either very lucky, getting hints from somewhere for doing it on another device first to make themselves look good...

It brings to mind the story someone I used to work with told me that a chap sat opposite him on the train every morning doing the crossword. One day, he left the paper behind, and my colleague picked it up and saw that he actually just sat there filling in gibberish to make himself look clever to strangers!

There's a twitter account that has worked out the algorithm and posts what tomorrows word will be before it's even live lol

2 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Wordle 221 4/6

🟨
🟩
🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Why bother to cheat, its like you said  ,its an anonymus game....

Of Late I Run between 2-4s,there is more luck,but now more games are played,its like cards, Remembering last Layed cards as Letters ( Not words),But

having a good First /Second choice. and there are still enough 5 letter words in English .

Look at Lingo on TV,some contestants, just see the words ,where others struggle to see the last needed letter...

I have always used a wide vocabulary,and strong at spelling,( helps in Foreign languages)  lousy at grammar (English)

Unlike Lingo,One doesn't have a Time Limit..but I have words already in My head for first choice,so first guess is quick,But I will sometimes Take 5 even 10 minutes on a guess...My longest game Time 15minutes, my quickest, when I lucked-in with one.

But to be arrogance/envious, because your low  Frequency of guesses, is also bordering on .......well you guess..

Edited by fuchsntf

39 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I've got it in two once and in three six times, out of 20 attempts. Four is my most common at 11, and think that's the average for everyone.

It's all down to the first word for example one day the word was WINCE. I guessed SPACE as my first word and so knew it ended CE from that. Then I guessed TWICE and so knew it was word ending CE with a W and I in there somewhere, so I guessed WINCE next. So its possible to get it in three.

The two was complete guess and pure luck I think, but I can't remember what that one was.

4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Why bother to cheat, its like you said  ,its an anonymus game....

Of Late I Run between 2-4s,there is more luck,but now more games are played,its like cards, Remembering last Layed cards as Letters ( Not words),But

having a good First /Second choice. and there are still enough 5 letter words in English .

Look at Lingo on TV,some contestants, just see the words ,where others struggle to see the last needed letter...

I have always used a wide vocabulary,and strong at spelling,( helps in Foreign languages)  lousy at grammar (English)

Unlike Lingo,One doesn't have a Time Limit..but I have words already in My head for first choice,so first guess is quick,But I will sometimes Take 5 even 10 minutes on a guess...My longest game Time 15minutes, my quickest, when I lucked-in with one.

I wasn't naming names: just stirring the pot to see who recognised themselves in my comment ;).

I guess I just feel a bit inadequate compared to the number of 1s, 2s and 3s - I haven't been doing it very scientifically, so there has to be scope to up my game: Time for some reading up on sites like: https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/math/a38767675/how-to-win-wordle-with-math/ and https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/11/secret-winning-wordle-word-game. (And at least I know with 2,315 words in the database, I shouldn't expect to be getting it in 1 within the first couple of weeks of playing - if I'm consistent with my first the word, it should come up within 6 years :whistle:)

3 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

I wasn't naming names: just stirring the pot to see who recognised themselves in my comment ;).

I guess I just feel a bit inadequate compared to the number of 1s, 2s and 3s - I haven't been doing it very scientifically, so there has to be scope to up my game: Time for some reading up on sites like: https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/math/a38767675/how-to-win-wordle-with-math/ and https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/11/secret-winning-wordle-word-game. (And at least I know with 2,315 words in the database, I shouldn't expect to be getting it in 1 within the first couple of weeks of playing - if I'm consistent with my first the word, it should come up within 6 years :whistle:)

I usually go with Irate as my first work as it uses common letters. 

Clearly anyone getting it in one is pure luck or cheating. 

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I usually go with Irate as my first work as it uses common letters. 

Clearly anyone getting it in one is pure luck or cheating. 

So you start of vowel heavy. Might I recommend starting with c**ts for those who wish to commence with a common use consonant heavy opener. 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

Just read a ladbible article recommending the best starting word - using the 5 most commonly used letters. Thought I'd give it a try. Didn't help at all 😂

Wordle 221 5/6

🟩

🟩

🟩🟩

🟨🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

4 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Wordle 221 4/6

🟨
🟩
🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

3 is easily my most common result.  Obviously there's an element of luck with how many letters you rule in/out on your first or second guess but you can affect that with your choice of words and you can deduce a surprising amount from revealed letters.  For instance with today's I got the middle letter first turn then on the second I got the 2nd and one misplaced consonant in the first block..  From this I was able to work out where the consonant belonged because it's one that very rarely finishes a word so is most likely to be 4th, add in knowledge of common letters which form syllables with it and I had one obvious candidate (well 2, but the middle letter and the ones already ruled out made one of them very unlikely since I lacked the letters to form common words with that ending).  That just left the 1st letter to guess and that had already been made fairly easy by virtue of my previous guesses.  It's not a perfect science, for instance Knoll the other day took me a while to land on, but getting it in 3 regularly is far less improbable than you seem to believe, every guess significantly narrowing the finite pool of possible words left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

3 is easily my most common result.  Obviously there's an element of luck with how many letters you rule in/out on your first or second guess but you can affect that with your choice of words and you can deduce a surprising amount from revealed letters.  For instance with today's I got the middle letter first turn then on the second I got the 2nd and one misplaced consonant in the first block..  From this I was able to work out where the consonant belonged because it's one that very rarely finishes a word so is most likely to be 4th, add in knowledge of common letters which form syllables with it and I had one obvious candidate (well 2, but the middle letter and the ones already ruled out made one of them very unlikely since I lacked the letters to form common words with that ending).  That just left the 1st letter to guess and that had already been made fairly easy by virtue of my previous guesses.  It's not a perfect science, for instance Knoll the other day took me a while to land on, but getting it in 3 regularly is far less improbable than you seem to believe, every guess significantly narrowing the finite pool of possible words left.

Out of interest, do you use the same word as your first guess each time? 

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

This is exactly how I approach it too although I'm averaging 4 with a decent amount of 3s. Here's my spread 20 days in which I'm happy with. Getting it in 3 can definitely be deduced if your first two attempts go alright although I tend to find that even through deduction there can be more than one possibility at that stage so still sometimes an element of luck. I'm finding that if it's 50/50, go with the least common word, which is what I should have done today! Also I like to change my first word every day to mix it up a bit and nearly always use a completely different word on my second go regardless of which letters I've got right on my first.

2D1898F4-A033-4718-9690-358CED061B71.thumb.jpeg.0f9169f635a76b53e980092a3ff523ee.jpeg

1 hour ago, Milo said:

I use "ready", it's probably not optimal but it covers the 2 main vowels, a couple of consonants, but more importantly I just think it's rather à propos, like I'm telling the game "right let's get on with it". :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

I go IRATE as my first guess, then SOUND as my 2nd guess (unless I've got enough from the first guess to make a good stab at it). All 5 vowels and what I understand are the 5 more common consonants in the first 2 guesses.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I use "ready", it's probably not optimal but it covers the 2 main vowels, a couple of consonants, but more importantly I just think it's rather à propos, like I'm telling the game "right let's get on with it". :thumbup:

Haha - I’ve been using ‘inept’

Probably explains quite a bit… lol

Three today after a nightmare start. I always go with my first 2 words having no common letters, regardless of how many are right in the first word. that way on my third guess, I have used 10 of the most common letters and have a good idea of combinations to use. It worked well

Wordle 222 3/6

🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩