Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

FA Cup 4th Round Draw

Guest Kopfkino
34 minutes ago, FuriousFox46 said:

Put it this way, rivalries are supposed to add to the supporter experience. Rivalries are good when you can debate which club is grander or there is something to overcome.

We don’t have that with Coventry, it’s a smaller city, they’ve won far fewer trophies, they have a smaller fan base, and they’ve spent almost as much time in League One as in the top-flight. There’s also no history of controversy, we’re not even from the same region. 

It feels like a completely soulless and pointless feud to have.

Compare that with Forest, the biggest club from the only other major city in our region, similar fanbase size, similar ‘fairytale’ stories, similar amount of time spent in the top-flight. It’s far more rewarding as a rivalry because there is something to gain from playing them.

That’s just my view anyway.

And they’re the exact debates I had growing up. We were both horrendous football clubs and all you had to talk about was 1 FA Cup to 3 League Cups. But I don’t believe that is a universal definition of a rivalry, there’s enough asymmetric rivalries out there.

For a while Cov we’re very much our level. They had 1 FA Cup to our 1 League Cup for a time, they spent 34 consecutive years in the top flight in a period we managed around half that. Even when we were both grim in the mid noughties, they had a better stadium. For a lot of the period of people alive now they’ve been similar clubs and anyone outside of Leicester would say the same, certainly wouldn’t think we were on a completely different level.

Regionally if you’re from South Leics, it makes sense. Cov is 10-15 miles away, Nottingham is 35-40 miles away. I never knew a Forest fan growing up.

Forest might not be as ambivalent about us they pretend but reciprocation also matters and whatever Leicester fans are desperate to portray, Forest spend too much time rimming Derby to be particularly arsed about us. And again, for most of time there was no argument about who was grander out of Forest and us. Still, in terms of honours they’re well ahead of us without doubt, and were miles ahead of us through much of lived history making it not a rivalry according to your marker. You can’t compare our honours to Cov now and ignore that for Forest. Again, the truth is, we’re way ahead of Forest’s level rn

With Cov, you have more reciprocation, it still makes sense geographically, we’ve been more similar over our history and their fans are absolutely repugnant. I wouldn’t be so arsed about playing them regularly for a rivalry but having not played them for 10 years and the chance to rub it in how far ahead of them we are now is something I want to happen asap

16 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

And they’re the exact debates I had growing up. We were both horrendous football clubs and all you had to talk about was 1 FA Cup to 3 League Cups. But I don’t believe that is a universal definition of a rivalry, there’s enough asymmetric rivalries out there.

For a while Cov we’re very much our level. They had 1 FA Cup to our 1 League Cup for a time, they spent 34 consecutive years in the top flight in a period we managed around half that. Even when we were both grim in the mid noughties, they had a better stadium. For a lot of the period of people alive now they’ve been similar clubs and anyone outside of Leicester would say the same, certainly wouldn’t think we were on a completely different level.

Regionally if you’re from South Leics, it makes sense. Cov is 10-15 miles away, Nottingham is 35-40 miles away. I never knew a Forest fan growing up.

Forest might not be as ambivalent about us they pretend but reciprocation also matters and whatever Leicester fans are desperate to portray, Forest spend too much time rimming Derby to be particularly arsed about us. And again, for most of time there was no argument about who was grander out of Forest and us. Still, in terms of honours they’re well ahead of us without doubt, and were miles ahead of us through much of lived history making it not a rivalry according to your marker. You can’t compare our honours to Cov now and ignore that for Forest. Again, the truth is, we’re way ahead of Forest’s level rn

With Cov, you have more reciprocation, it still makes sense geographically, we’ve been more similar over our history and their fans are absolutely repugnant. I wouldn’t be so arsed about playing them regularly for a rivalry but having not played them for 10 years and the chance to rub it in how far ahead of them we are now is something I want to happen asap

We haven’t been more similar over our history though. That’s the point.

We’ve spent 20 more seasons in the top-flight than them and 20 fewer in the third tier than they have.

Yes, we used to be more evenly matched but there is literally nothing that Coventry can claim over us now. Forest and Derby have basically the same season-by-season breakdown than us and each one of the three clubs can laud something over the other one.

Like I said, I grew up in South Leicestershire, I live in Broughton Astley now and I still see Cov as our fifth biggest rivals at best 

Guest Kopfkino
8 minutes ago, FuriousFox46 said:

We haven’t been more similar over our history though. That’s the point.

We’ve spent 20 more seasons in the top-flight than them and 20 fewer in the third tier than they have.

Yes, we used to be more evenly matched but there is literally nothing that Coventry can claim over us now. Forest and Derby have basically the same season-by-season breakdown than us and each one of the three clubs can laud something over the other one.

Like I said, I grew up in South Leicestershire, I live in Broughton Astley now and I still see Cov as our fifth biggest rivals at best 

That’s why I said lived history. Nobody gives a **** what happened in 1922. Hence nobody thinks Huddersfield are a big club. For most people’s lifetimes, they’ve been largely the same club - it’s really only the last 10 years they’ve massively diverged.

I said we’re on a completely different level now, that’s the joy of having a one off game against them rn, being the big boy bully you can only look at in envy that was similar to you in the not too distant past. I grew up when we were basically the same football club at opposite ends of a road. The chance to strut our stuff being on whole new level is one that I relish.

Given Forest have a better history than us on the things that actually matter, it’s odd Leicester fans have spent eternity begging for a rivalry there and then thinking we’re too big for Cov.

Just now, Kopfkino said:

That’s why I said lived history. Nobody gives a **** what happened in 1922. Hence nobody thinks Huddersfield are a big club. For most people’s lifetimes, they’ve been largely the same club - it’s really only the last 10 years they’ve massively diverged.

I said we’re on a completely different level now, that’s the joy of having a one off game against them rn, being the big boy bully you can only look at in envy that was similar to you in the not too distant past. I grew up when we were basically the same football club at opposite ends of a road. The chance to strut our stuff being on whole new level is one that I relish.

Given Forest have a better history than us on the things that actually matter, it’s odd Leicester fans have spent eternity begging for a rivalry there and then thinking we’re too big for Cov.

Begging for a rivalry with Forest? Give over.

Our histories are far more comparable than ours with Coventry and like I said, they represent the only other major city in our region. It makes far more sense 

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

Derby have won 4 trophies and we have 7 trophies…

2 hours ago, FuriousFox46 said:

I know they’re a local rival but it still baffles me that people get this animated about Coventry bloody City. They might as well be Northampton Town to us these days.

Id say in the last 20 years that out of all the local derby games that this is the one with the most ‘spice’ to it. Always a decent atmosphere. Horrible fans aswell. Plus i couldnt care less about Derby County, Forest less so aswell

38 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Id say in the last 20 years that out of all the local derby games that this is the one with the most ‘spice’ to it. Always a decent atmosphere. Horrible fans aswell. Plus i couldnt care less about Derby County, Forest less so aswell

Always felt the Cov rivalry had potential, (especially being from South West Leicestershire) but for whatever reason they think Villa care about them and we think Forest care about us, so it’s never really taken off. Some big games over the years but I don’t recall them ever having enough fans to sell out their ground, so that’s another reason it’s always been a bit flat. 

6 minutes ago, Nobbyburton said:

Always felt the Cov rivalry had potential, (especially being from South West Leicestershire) but for whatever reason they think Villa care about them and we think Forest care about us, so it’s never really taken off. Some big games over the years but I don’t recall them ever having enough fans to sell out their ground, so that’s another reason it’s always been a bit flat. 

I think early on they used to bring the full 3k (early on as in when Filbert Way first opened). But with Coventry having their recent issues, and getting kicked out to Northampton, their away following picked up and with us not played for years I have no doubt they'd fill their allocation this time round.

Also Coventry spent 30 consecutive years in the top flight which is probably why their rivalry with Villa was consistent. 

Derbies don't lose edge because of lack of fixture though, and I don't know why people say they "don't care" about Cov/Derby/Forest anymore, you only have to look at rivalries up a down the country which are massive but the two clubs rarely play each other (e.g. Southampton/Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers/Bristol City, Port Vale/Stoke, etc...).

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I think early on they used to bring the full 3k (early on as in when Filbert Way first opened). But with Coventry having their recent issues, and getting kicked out to Northampton, their away following picked up and with us not played for years I have no doubt they'd fill their allocation this time round.

Also Coventry spent 30 consecutive years in the top flight which is probably why their rivalry with Villa was consistent. 

Derbies don't lose edge because of lack of fixture though, and I don't know why people say they "don't care" about Cov/Derby/Forest anymore, you only have to look at rivalries up a down the country which are massive but the two clubs rarely play each other (e.g. Southampton/Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers/Bristol City, Port Vale/Stoke, etc...).

I think that says more about how big our rivalries were in the first place. We’ve never had a proper rivalry like those mentioned where both sets of fans are completely invested. 

• Like 1