Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Forest away

5 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

This “rivalry” debate always re-emerges when we play Derby or Forest.

In my experience I’ve never known a Leicester fan as desperate to create a rivalry with Forest as a Forest fan is to tell us that: “we’re not their rivals”. That’s because the whole Forest/Derby thing is an important part of their identity. I don’t know whether it’s so important to Forest/Derby because it makes them feel relevant and a reminder of better times, but the reality is that it’s incredibly small fry. You don’t often hear a Liverpool fan say Everton aren’t their rivals or a Man Utd fan say that Man City aren’t theirs. That’s despite the fact that Liverpool and Man Utd reserve the biggest rivalry for each other.

This game will be hugely significant to many of us, like me, who work with quite a few Forest fans. To us a game against Forest, Derby and Coventry all have a bit of extra interest and spice. Even Villa games do these days. There is room for many rivalries and, really, they are only defined by the personal interest of those fans who engage with them more. You don’t get any more points for winning.

The Forest game will come and go and people will enjoy it a little bit more than many other games. But they’ll quickly go back to hardly getting a mention on this forum and we’ll go back to hardly getting a mention on theirs. I’m not sure you’d be able to say the same about their obsessional interest in Derby as both clubs continual to wallow in their own past glories - seemingly unaware of their continual irrelevance to all, but each other 

We're not their rivals though

As a primary school kid at the time when forest won the first division I remember with horror when certain kids started parading round the school playground singing forest songs. This was in Groby mind. I remember a few black eyes resulting and broken friendships. I’ll always think of them as rivals. 

11 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Before Clough turned up at Forest and started being successful there, Forest considered us and Notts County to be their main rivals and not Derby. 

What I do find quite strange is how a relatively significant number among our support reject Coventry as a rival when they are very vocal about how much they hate us. Also, if you were to drive from our ground to Cov's you'd get there far quicker than you would if you were to drive to Forest. 

I've never been that fussed about Derby. It's maybe an age thing as I was too young to remember the games in the 90s. I do however take a huge amount of pride in being top dogs in our part of the country. 

East/West Midlands thing isn’t it.

Nottingham as a city is much more similar to Leicester historically and culturally than Cov 

We aren’t in Birmingham’s orbit like Cov is too

40 minutes ago, Yes N'Didi said:

Who gave you the exclusive rights to determine what games fans should or shouldn’t look forwards to?

We are not forests main rivals, of course we aren’t, but their fans will be bang up for this one as well.

Stop telling people they shouldn’t look forward to this and if you’re not bothered, don’t invest in it. 

The amount of mental gymnastics going on to show he doesn't care, he almost sounds like a Forest fan to be honest. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice draw. Can’t lose to them as they will forever tell us how they knocked us out as holders. Arsenal were shit today. Really poor. No urgency. Forest played the perfect lower league side game. 

Johnson and the RB looked decent. Their midfield looked pretty poor. Their defence was okish but will struggle with pace. 

We should win this with a professional performance. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MattFox said:

East/West Midlands thing isn’t it.

Nottingham as a city is much more similar to Leicester historically and culturally than Cov 

We aren’t in Birmingham’s orbit like Cov is too

Exactly.

I don’t really care about Coventry, I enjoy playing them because lots of our supporters and their supporters care and it adds to the occasion more than playing a club like Preston for example.

but Forest is the biggest rivalry

• Like 1

Just now, josh_baskin said:

Anyone who believes they consider us insignificant need to look at the work they did to my locker at my Nottingham workplace after the 5-1 defeat we suffered from them in 2009.:nono:

E66A297D-A569-4EB1-81BD-DADAE9A28B57.webpUnavailable

All you have to do is search “Leicester #NFFC” or “bin dippers #nffc” on Twitter.

Those minnows are literally creaming their drawers at this game 

Thomas, Choudhury, KDH and Barnes all to start will make me a bit less nervous. The whole squad will be more fired up as a result, there won’t be any complacency. Imagine rocking up there under Puel? 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

I've never really viewed Forest as a great rival but I'm from Scotland so I've never really been exposed to the rivalry. I don't think I've ever actually met a Forest fan, truth be told. 

That doesn't mean that I'm going to take that away or mock others who do view it as a rivalry and who have their own reasons for it. That's just ridiculous. 

Football rivalry is a funny thing. 

My hometown team is a team called Greenock Morton. Admittedly, I've never felt a great emotional connection to them. I went to almost every game one season as a teen when they almost went bust to ensure they survived, the whole town did but that's about it. However, even without any particular love for them, I still despise their local rivals St.Mirren. If there was any rationality or common sense in football, it wouldn't be half as fun. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, FuriousFox46 said:

Exactly.

I don’t really care about Coventry, I enjoy playing them because lots of our supporters and their supporters care and it adds to the occasion more than playing a club like Preston for example.

but Forest is the biggest rivalry

See, this is why i'm kind of disappointed to see Coventry pissing away their shot at the playoffs this season.

A 'proper' local Derby (not a Birmingham / Black Country club) is lacking in our annual calendar, and the thought of Coventry coming out of nowhere to be the one we play in the Prem, after so many years waiting for one of our 'traditional' East Midlands adversaries to pull their finger out and get promoted, would probably be too much for either of Forest or Derby to bear. lol

EDIT - also crossed my mind just now, but Forest would get awfully lonely if Derby go down and Coventry come up. :whistle:

Edited by OntarioFox

15 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Football rivalry is a funny thing. 

My hometown team is a team called Greenock Morton. Admittedly, I've never felt a great emotional connection to them. I went to almost every game one season as a teen when they almost went bust to ensure they survived, the whole town did but that's about it. However, even without any particular love for them, I still despise their local rivals St.Mirren. If there was any rationality or common sense in football, it wouldn't be half as fun. 

I can somewhat relate to this. Lot of my parents' side of the family are in Manchester and are all big United fans. So I've been to Old Trafford a fair few times when visiting when I was younger. And likewise we've taken them to Leicester City on occasions (mostly in the Championship!) when they've come here.

I enjoyed the style of football United played under Fergie at times but felt no emotional connection to the club. Yet for some reason I absolutely hate Liverpool and always have done. Have only started to dislike Spurs more in recent years I'd say

• Like 1

The absence and not playing them for years has done this a favour. It's good timing for it I'd say - not so long that the fire totally burns out but long enough that there's going to be some edge in it to get one over them.

The only way you'll see their true colours about how bothered they are about this game, sadly, is if they beat us.

We cannot bottle this though. They're no mugs recently and we shouldn't treat them lightly but we really should be winning it too. Would be absolutely sickening to go out as holders to a Championship Forest. We better deliver.

• Like 2