Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Forest away

21 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

There's a long history of rivalry. It doesn't matter they're not current rivals.

I hope the local lads play and are fired up.

A lot of the lads that have come through the academy come from the Northern part of the Shire so I assume the Forest game will mean a heck of a lot to them; will stoke the fire even more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scotch said:

I've never really viewed Forest as a great rival but I'm from Scotland so I've never really been exposed to the rivalry. I don't think I've ever actually met a Forest fan, truth be told. 

That doesn't mean that I'm going to take that away or mock others who do view it as a rivalry and who have their own reasons for it. That's just ridiculous. 

Football rivalry is a funny thing. 

My hometown team is a team called Greenock Morton. Admittedly, I've never felt a great emotional connection to them. I went to almost every game one season as a teen when they almost went bust to ensure they survived, the whole town did but that's about it. However, even without any particular love for them, I still despise their local rivals St.Mirren. If there was any rationality or common sense in football, it wouldn't be half as fun. 

The Spurs rivalry is the stupid one for me. They failed to win the Premier League and there’s a video of some chap calling us nobodies. It was fun for a season. It’s lost its flavour now.

Yet there’s nothing more satisfying than a rivalry built on “You live 40 minutes away from me on the bus. **** you.” Identity and rivalry come from comparing yourself to your neighbours I guess, even if the difference is only the colour of your football kit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Would you feel the same way if we were drawn to play Kettering Town?

There's not much difference. 

When i was in the UK  for the 2nd time in 40 years.... we played Kettering Town at Rockingham Rd, I got my tickets via LCFC and my uncle a KTFC supporter got his through the Poppies

Game day..... I was not allowed through the gate to see a relative i hadnt seen in 40 years... because a 40 year old aussie and his 52 year old uncle a KTFC fan could not be trusted. lollollol 
#HighRisk

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

OK, so Northampton Town could be classed as local. 

Same relevance. 

There is literally no rivalry with Forest.

Why are people making out there is?

I think their manager said ‘rival’ in the post game interview.

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

OK, so Northampton Town could be classed as local. 

Same relevance. 

There is literally no rivalry with Forest.

Why are people making out there is?

Wow. No rivalry ? ive watched city since the 60s and can state that nothing will stimulate the fans more than a game against them, ive looked forward and been to all games home and away against them and loved every one, The atmosphere is superb at these games and now we have the upper hand and i for one will be looking forward to this game day  :scarf::scarf::scarf:

• Like 2

Guest David Oldfields Gate

Forest = Hatred

Cov = Disgust

Derby = Bantz

West Midlands X4 = Scum

Posh= Who?

Northampton = Rugby

6 hours ago, Foxxed said:

The Spurs rivalry is the stupid one for me. They failed to win the Premier League and there’s a video of some chap calling us nobodies. It was fun for a season. It’s lost its flavour now.

Yet there’s nothing more satisfying than a rivalry built on “You live 40 minutes away from me on the bus. **** you.” Identity and rivalry come from comparing yourself to your neighbours I guess, even if the difference is only the colour of your football kit.

https://youtu.be/nKFkhw1c7xI

Edited by Bourbon Fox
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think a lot depends form were you live in the county, being brought up in the Loughborough side of Leicestershire, there was a lots of Forest fan in the area due to there success in 80s early 90s when I was a kid.

When I starting going down City they were the biggest and most successful side in the East Midlands. 

So for me its more of a rivalry. 

My cousin was a forest fan strangely he's now a Leicester fan 

My cousin who was born in Huntingdon to two Leicester fans became a Forest fan too.

He’s since changed allegiance lol:scarf:

• Haha 3

I think local rivalry is largely due to increased likely hood that, come Monday morning, you'll be at school with, or working alongside, fans of the other team so cue lots of banter and piss taking.

Hence the very strong rivalry on Merseyside, Sheffield, North London etc. for this very reason.

Cannot understand the Manchester rivalry though; Man U fans live the other end of the country.

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I'm basing it on the fact that the 2 clubs have never been in direct competition for anything and aren't exactly local.

Their rival is Derby. 

We don't really have a local rival and I don't understand the desperation to have one.

Their fans are probably looking on here and based on some of the reactions, Forest fans will be thinking this is our biggest game of the season.

It's not. 

It's a cup tie against an average Championship team.

Roger that if you could pop over to Arteta this morning and relay that message.  I for one see this as a huge game and it wont be an easy one, after the season we have had a victory here will be huge for both fans and players, I just hope BR will see it that way I'm sure he will. Come on the Foxes!

Florest fans amuse me, in the sense that they claim they’re not bothered about us, it’s just them and Derby, however they talk about us so clearly are bothered about us, and they are that bothered about us that they have to pretend they are not bothered about us, by talking about being not bothered about us… that’s how bothered about us they are. 

Still a 1000 years have passed since they won owt.