Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

12 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’d rather have a player signalling his intentions 18 months before than waiting last minute/into his final year. Now up to the club to make it work and identify a replacement. 

Traditionally he’d have left this summer from our normal tactic. 

Some major revisionism that he’s been awful this season. Made some massive impact in games such as Brentford away and Man U at home 

So two games then! He has been bang average all season and if you can’t see it you have been watching a different team.

13 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

It's amazing how many people are trying to downplay how good youri is. He was absolutely world class for 2 full seasons and his loan baring kante the best I have ever seen in his position. 

I know people think he's downed tools this season but that's nonsense he was poor for Belgium at the euros too.

Its more he's burned out after being absolutely rinsed in every competition, playing 120 plus games for Leicester and Belgium in the past 2 seasons. 

I would have loved him to stay but don't begrudge him wanting to give it a go at a truly huge club he's more than good enough when he's firing 

World class 😂 Give your head a wobble.

Top player on occasions but world class!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ian S said:

So two games then! He has been bang average all season and if you can’t see it you have been watching a different team.

Despite what I said previously, his bang average is still actually alright. 

We were treated to his high level top class standards so when his form dips, it shows up more. 

1 minute ago, Ian S said:

World class 😂 Give your head a wobble.

Top player on occasions but world class!

Well he was 100 percent one of the best central midfielders in the Premier league for 2 and a bit seasons. Does that make him world class? Who knows.

you admited yourself he's a top (ie one of the best) player so we are sort of in agreement let's not split hairs. 

7 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Well he was 100 percent one of the best central midfielders in the Premier league for 2 and a bit seasons. Does that make him world class? Who knows.

you admited yourself he's a top (ie one of the best) player so we are sort of in agreement let's not split hairs. 

He is still one of the best central midfielders in the league but the league lacks good central midfielders.

It's not like 10+ years ago when Vieira, Gerrard, Scholes, Keane etc were all in the league.

Doesn't make him World Class though. "World Class" is spoken about far too often these days, when in reality there are only a handful of World Class players.

I still think Tielemens will flop at a bigger club than us but good luck to him, automatic legend status when you score a Cup final goal.

Just hope we can get soon and get a good fee for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Wish him well, will always be remembered for winning us the FA Cup, that can never be unwritten in the history books.

Hopefully we get 35-40m and can reinvest the money wisely. KDH Soumare Ndidi and Maddison are a decent combo of mids, just need to replace Tielemans and we'll be fine.

I'd hope for more than that realistically. Even up to £60m is a bargain considering his age and quality. 

5 minutes ago, glebe_sydneyfox said:

It pains me to say this but I hope of all the so called big clubs he lands at Arsenal.

He will fit right into that squad. Will tear me to shreds seeing him move to Man U or Liverpool 

Can’t see him picking Arsenal tbh!

59 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

It's amazing how many people are trying to downplay how good youri is. He was absolutely world class for 2 full seasons and his loan baring kante the best I have ever seen in his position. 

This simply isn't true though.

He was excellent for his half season loan spell 2.5 seasons ago.
2 seasons ago he was mediocre and erratic and plenty on here wanted him dropped
Last season he was superb through the entire first half of last season, but like everyone bar Iheanacho, he dropped off majorly in the second half when Iheanacho was basically carrying us single-handedly. Though pulled it back when it mattered most in the cup final (which colours people's memories of his performances in the second half of last season a bit).

Overall, I think he's been a great player for us. Had 2 half-season stints during the loan spell and first half of last season when he was genuinely exceptional and our best player and scored probably the greatest goal in the club's history (and that alone will see him remembered fondly). But the idea he was world class for the full 2.5 seasons before this season is far more overplaying his performances here than anyone saying he's not been that good is downplaying his performances here,

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

Tielemans has been waiting for some time to see which way the wind is blowing. Given the debacle of last summer's transfer activity - with regard to bolstering the defence, this season's decline has been inevitable. Ok, Fofana's injury wasn't foreseeable (except in the general hurly-burly of pro football) but the Vestergaard/Bertrand transfer had mediocrity stamped all over it. We needed a young upcoming central defender - and wasted the money on two Saint's surplus players.

Tielemans could have seen this train derailment coming and thought "meh to this shambles". His performances have been generally sloppy and uncommitted. Blame it on exhaustion but Rodgers insisted on playing him when there were alternatives. Once KDH demonstrated his ability (last season at Luton) then BR had a viable alternative - a decent technical player who is committed to the team. 

I think he's done magnificently for City in patches - won us the Cup. Yet he's yearning for the off and his will-he-won't-he cannot have helped the team.

Until the defence is repaired we'll continue to fail.

How many times this season have we watched the team excel in attack for fifteen-twenty minutes only to see a soft goal take all the wind out of their sails. They need a leader on the field and on the touchline. Tielemans could have been that but I don't believe he felt it was more than his job was worth.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I know people think he's downed tools this season but that's nonsense he was poor for Belgium at the euros too.

Its more he's burned out after being absolutely rinsed in every competition, playing 120 plus games for Leicester and Belgium in the past 2 seasons. 

I would have loved him to stay but don't begrudge him wanting to give it a go at a truly huge club he's more than good enough when he's firing 

I think world class for two full seasons is going overboard. I agree he was great when we had him on loan, but I remember him being pretty disappointing in the first season after we signed him permanently, despite the great form we were in.

Not sure if he is burnt out. He's a player who benefits from playing regularly.

I think he's a great player, but I don't think he ever had any intention of extending his stay with us, and I'm concerned that his heart isn't in it anymore.

Yeah anyone who thinks he was world class in 2019-20 is performing massive historical revisionism. Plenty of people were saying he was very disappointing after his loan spell that season and although he was given slack as his first full season, no one thought he was one of the best midfielders in the league let alone world class at the time. Most thought Praet even was better at the end of that season.

Check the average ratings on here for one thing that season - half way down them, behind the likes of Preat, Choudhry and a James Justin who most thought was a bit rubbish and not going to make it. Match Rating Polls - FoxesTalk

Edited by Sampson

Very good player but not top class. Lacks physicality and has no pace.Too many very average games 

I wish him well and time to stop talking about him and move on with the youngsters who have 

much more commitment , Don’t want to see him starting most games 

28 minutes ago, glebe_sydneyfox said:

It pains me to say this but I hope of all the so called big clubs he lands at Arsenal.

He will fit right into that squad. Will tear me to shreds seeing him move to Man U or Liverpool 

He always looks knackered for us after about 70mins, I just can't see him getting in Liverpool's team with his lack of endurance.

• Like 1

I actually think now it's out in the open and fully decided, he can play without pressure now. If he's made the decision in the last few days, and the decision was lingering in this mind for several months, at least everyone is clear and honest about the situation. He's made his decision and it's one less thing on his mind.

I don't mind him playing. He's earnt a ridiculous amount of credit to not get a bad reception whenever he does play. Hope we can give him a good send off on the final day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't mind him playing. He's earnt a ridiculous amount of credit to not get a bad reception whenever he does play. Hope we can give him a good send off on the final day.

Our fans boo Mahrez and Kante, I wouldn't put it past them to boo Tielemans.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He always looks knackered for us after about 70mins, I just can't see him getting in Liverpool's team with his lack of endurance.

Agree with this.

I think he's a top player but isn't always consistent, maybe due to the demands of the game ove here. 

I think European football will suit him more

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They'll just immediately discover he suffers from asthma and dose him up on salbutamol :sweating:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I've always found the links to Liverpool strange for that reason. Really hope he goes abroad but can see Arsenal and Man Utd going all out for him, especially if Arsenal get top 4.

• Like 1

I was always a bit concerned we'd be in this situation when he signed a 4 year contract instead of a 5 year one and to be honest I've been convinced he was going to leave from the end of last season, but even though I fully expected this it's still disappointing to see it, he's given us 3 and a half great years which is great service and the cup final goal and win will ensure his legendary status, I just hope he doesn't sign for another Premier League team!