Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

5 hours ago, davieG said:

La Liga champions Real Madrid are reportedly closely monitoring the situation of 25-year-old Belgian playmaker Youri Tielemans at Leicester City.
According to a report by Spanish outlet Defensa Central, Youri Tielemans is the subject of interest from Real Madrid over a possible Bosman move in the 2023 summer transfer window. The Merengues are closely monitoring the situation of the 25-year-old playmaker at Premier League club Leicester City.

Youri Tielemans has established himself as one of the best playmakers in the Premier League since joining Leicester City from AS Monaco. The Foxes initially signed the Belgian international on a loan deal for the second half of the 2018/19 season before completing a permanent transfer in July 2019.

The 25-year-old has turned out 157 times for Leicester City, chipping in with 24 goals and 24 assists in the process. But Tielemans’s contract situation has left the Foxes in a spot of bother, as his current deal will run out next year. Such a situation has captured the attention of several European bigwigs, including Real Madrid.

Real Madrid had initially thought about signing Tielemans in the summer transfer window this year. But Carlo Ancelotti has plenty of midfield resources at his disposal following the arrival of Aurelien Tchouameni from AS Monaco in a €100 million deal.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2022/06/29/real-madrid-keeping-tabs-on-youri-tielemans/

This type of thing terrifies me tbh. It only takes one call from a big side, to tell him what they would give him in a years time, and he'll happily wait it out. 

If he hasnt been dropped by belgium yet he's more or less safe.  (in fact he was rewarded by being made captain for a game) 

Edited by Lambert09

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Exactly, they've always been the club in England he's wanted to play for and they've always had half an interest in him. At £20-25m when they're the absolute pits, it's a no brainer for them and as I've said for months, it's where he will end up.

Must admit that despite all talk of Arsenal etc al, I too have always had the feeling he would end up at Old Trafford

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

This type of thing terrifies me tbh. It only takes one call from a big side, to tell him what they would give him in a years time, and he'll happily wait it out. 

If he hasnt been dropped by belgium yet he's more or less safe.  (in fact he was rewarded by being made captain for a game) 

if he is at yanited and hardly playing then he may not get in ahead of witzel/KDB in a midfield playing 3-4-3

he was captain in a game where all the players picked had less than 50 caps 

United would be a shit move for Youri. We know how he struggles when he hasn't got a destroyer behind or next to him. United's seeming allergy to signing a proper DM would scare me shitless if I was in Youri's shoes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rachhere said:

You think? He seems to value a good dressing room and prefers to keep out himself and his family out of the limelight. 

Perhaps I am being unfair, but it felt like his performance dropped off last year because playing at Leicester / in the Europa league(s) was beneath him. He thought he should be on a bigger team playing Champions League, which is why he didn't extend his contract. Unfortunately, his inconsistent performance did not attract that level of club to swoop in for him. 

So I can see him fitting right in at United. He gets to play for a "big club," they'll drastically overpay him, and he'll be on a team that should challenge for Champions League qualification in the next year or two. But at the end of the day he'll end up like so many wasted talents before him at Manchester United. He'll struggle adapting to a new system, in a toxic environment, where team is worse than the sum of its parts. The current manager will be criticized for spending big money on players that struggle. Eventually that manager will get sacked, and the new boss will not rate Tielemans and look to replace him with whatever the new flavor of the month is. Then Youri will either end up collecting huge paychecks to languish on the bench, or he'll get a move back to another team in Europe.

It's too bad because i personally really like Youri... I'm sure we all do... but he's been very hit or miss in a Leicester Shirt. His first season on loan he was a revelation. His next season he was disappointing. He won us the FA Cup with a world class goal 2 seasons ago, and then he was genuinely awful last season. Those dips in form should not happen if he's truly a player that starts on a champions league club.  

I also think there's genuinely a question if a team like Leicester can afford a player like Youri in its midfield. It seems like the new meta strategy in the Premier League is playing a 4-3-3 and pressing with a very athletic midfield that can cover ground. There's not a whole lot of teams that have a double pivot and can carry a deep lying playmaker like Youri because they'll get overrun in the midfield. Rather than having a Wilf type CDM that can defend and cover ground but can't pass or shoot at an elite level, and a Youri that isn't overly athletic but makes up for it with his technical qualities, we might be better off with more box to box players like KDH who can do a bit of everything.

Youri might fit better in a league like Serie A or Ligue 1 where the pace of the game is a little slower, and the dominate teams are looking for creativity to break down teams that are set up behind the ball. You almost kind of need to build the team around him, and at the end of the day we have James Maddison. Perhaps the reason we struggle is because we can't afford to have them both on the field, especially against teams in the top 6 that will dominate midfield/possession. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

Perhaps I am being unfair, but it felt like his performance dropped off last year because playing at Leicester / in the Europa league(s) was beneath him. He thought he should be on a bigger team playing Champions League, which is why he didn't extend his contract. Unfortunately, his inconsistent performance did not attract that level of club to swoop in for him. 

So I can see him fitting right in at United. He gets to play for a "big club," they'll drastically overpay him, and he'll be on a team that should challenge for Champions League qualification in the next year or two. But at the end of the day he'll end up like so many wasted talents before him at Manchester United. He'll struggle adapting to a new system, in a toxic environment, where team is worse than the sum of its parts. The current manager will be criticized for spending big money on players that struggle. Eventually that manager will get sacked, and the new boss will not rate Tielemans and look to replace him with whatever the new flavor of the month is. Then Youri will either end up collecting huge paychecks to languish on the bench, or he'll get a move back to another team in Europe.

It's too bad because i personally really like Youri... I'm sure we all do... but he's been very hit or miss in a Leicester Shirt. His first season on loan he was a revelation. His next season he was disappointing. He won us the FA Cup with a world class goal 2 seasons ago, and then he was genuinely awful last season. Those dips in form should not happen if he's truly a player that starts on a champions league club.  

I also think there's genuinely a question if a team like Leicester can afford a player like Youri in its midfield. It seems like the new meta strategy in the Premier League is playing a 4-3-3 and pressing with a very athletic midfield that can cover ground. There's not a whole lot of teams that have a double pivot and can carry a deep lying playmaker like Youri because they'll get overrun in the midfield. Rather than having a Wilf type CDM that can defend and cover ground but can't pass or shoot at an elite level, and a Youri that isn't overly athletic but makes up for it with his technical qualities, we might be better off with more box to box players like KDH who can do a bit of everything.

Youri might fit better in a league like Serie A or Ligue 1 where the pace of the game is a little slower, and the dominate teams are looking for creativity to break down teams that are set up behind the ball. You almost kind of need to build the team around him, and at the end of the day we have James Maddison. Perhaps the reason we struggle is because we can't afford to have them both on the field, especially against teams in the top 6 that will dominate midfield/possession. 

I think he just struggled in general to be honest. He wasn't great for Belgium either, and there in particular he was playing for a starting place in the world cup. 

Agree that I think it would be a bad move for him, but from what I have seen he's an intelligent guy who doesn't rush into things and really thinks about his overall career development. It could well be a case that he decides that it's too big an opportunity to turn down, but I think it will come with some real hesitation. 

• Like 1

Maybe there's something in the fact that during the covid season's it was easier for Rodgers to bark instructions at his players. With crowds and subsequent noise maybe Youri Suffered from a lack of instruction.

Best. Excuse. Ever.

2 hours ago, rachhere said:

I think he just struggled in general to be honest. He wasn't great for Belgium either, and there in particular he was playing for a starting place in the world cup. 

Agree that I think it would be a bad move for him, but from what I have seen he's an intelligent guy who doesn't rush into things and really thinks about his overall career development. It could well be a case that he decides that it's too big an opportunity to turn down, but I think it will come with some real hesitation. 

He was player of the game for the last 2 games with Belgium a few weeks ago. His games were master class again. So he’s regaining his normal high level.

As for the midfield with Witsel/De Bruyne: Martinez likes to put De Bruyne higher on the pitch and Tielemans next to Witsel. 

5 hours ago, JimJams said:

Maybe there's something in the fact that during the covid season's it was easier for Rodgers to bark instructions at his players. With crowds and subsequent noise maybe Youri Suffered from a lack of instruction.

Best. Excuse. Ever.

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

How deluded are West Ham fans. 

It’s not just theirs.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Apparently we're talking to Spurs about a swap for Winks. Not sure the source is reputable. 

Razor blade time.  If Levy does Rudders from behind and swings this deal, this will exceed the Great Train Robbery in infamy.   

• Haha 1