Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

5 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Any rumour that includes the words 'swap deal' can be instantly dismissed as BS. Not happening.

Has there ever been a swap deal ? In the last ten years ? It's always suggested by dodgy clickbait articles, never actually heard of it happening

Not sure that Youri would start ahead of Bentancur and it would presumably be one or the other who starts, with Hojbjerg and Bissouma fighting it out for the defensive midfield role. Youri could easily find himself on the bench a lot which would undermine his chances of starting for Belgium at the WC. 

Winks is a tidy footballer but re-iterating what everyone else has said would be one of the most uninspiring signings in our recent history.

I would be happy with Winks if we were a newly promoted side that likes to play a bit and adding some PL experience.

We would no longer be able to say our starting 11 is top 7 quality if you swapped out Youri for him.

Yet, I oddly could see Rodgers loving a bit of Winks, consider him Joe Allen MKII

1 hour ago, Diffco said:

I'd love Youri to sign a new contract. Overall in my opinion his career with us is as such:

- signs on loan, is an all action revelation.

- has a decent first full season, defensive capitulation costs us champions league.

- has a great second full season, scores the winner in the FA cup. Thunderbolt. Nice. 

- has a mediocre 3rd season, played probably too many games for club and country, knackered. Not sure if I believe the narrative of play every game to stay focused and fit. 

I think a break would do him the world of good, would love the guy to extend his contract. Have no idea why he conjures up so much weird vitriol with this forum? It's really odd.. 

Spot on.

5 hours ago, Diffco said:

I'd love Youri to sign a new contract. Overall in my opinion his career with us is as such:

- has a decent first full season, defensive capitulation costs us champions league.

- has a great second full season, scores the winner in the FA cup. Thunderbolt. Nice. 

- has a mediocre 3rd season, played probably too many games for club and country, knackered. Not sure if I believe the narrative of play every game to stay focused and fit. 

I think a break would do him the world of good, would love the guy to extend his contract. Have no idea why he conjures up so much weird vitriol with this forum? It's really odd.. 

Football is very emotive and any time any player is even reported to be considering moving away, they are judged to no longer be invested in the club. 

Which is of course ridiculous, to most here, its a job, they are not fans.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Diffco said:

Well he will always be a special player in my mind.  That FA cup goal puts the tin lid on it but I've always loved Youri ever since Big Daddy and the aeroplane.  Wherever he goes next, I will wish him well.

I don't blame him for wanting to leave.  He wants to play CL and should be playing at that level imo.  I honestly think that he wanted to do it here, but after two heartbreaking near misses he realises it is not going to happen.   As for last season's drop in form, I think that with the injuries and patched up teams we were sending out every week, virtually no one escaped last season with their reputations enhanced - Cags, Barnes Wilf, all sub par.  Also, I think that when you realise that your future lies elsewhere, performances drop off a little even if you are trying just as hard.  Perhaps it's a subconscious thing and we saw it before with Chilwell, but in Youri's case, he has always struck me as the model professional and never given less than 100%.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slymunn said:

We did. It was after the loan swap deal ended.

But it wasn't a permanent deal, it was just a loan.  He was still Monaco's player,  We paid to sign Tielemans, it was not a swap deal.

Melrose for English.  I'm still saying that was the last and possibly the only swap deal we've had.

Edited by murphy

24 minutes ago, murphy said:

But it wasn't a permanent deal, it was just a loan.  He was still Monaco's player,  We paid to sign Tielemans, it was not a swap deal.

Melrose for English.  I'm still saying that was the last and possinly only swap deal 

Paul Kitson & Ian Ormondroyd was after that wasn't it?