Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

Kitson scored 11 goals in 63 appearances for the Leicester first-team,[4] and joined Derby County for a club record of £1.3 million transfer fee in March 1992, made up of £800,000 with Phil Gee and Ian Ormondroyd moving to Leicester in part exchange.[

From Wikipedia.  More accurate to call it a part exchange.  Not a swap.

When you say that is what Leicester City officially say, then I will be writing them a strongly worded letter, signed A. Pedant and possibly contacting my MP.

Now, we really should leave it before people get cross for taking this thread ot.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Wash your mouth out with soap and water.

Cult hero.

(Not very good mind 🤪)

It's funny what makes a 'cult hero'.  Basically someone who is a little eccentric?  Someone who has endearing qualities that compensate for their lack of ability?  I dunno.

I mean from that team Gary Coatsworth could be considered a cult hero, for his bin man looks and his full blooded style.  He was hopeless too.

In short a footballer that is considered a cult hero is by definition a bit rubbish imo, otherwise he would just be a hero.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

It's funny what makes a 'cult hero'.  Basically someone who is a little eccentric?  Someone who has endearing qualities that compensate for their lack of ability?  I dunno.

I mean from that team Gary Coatsworth could be considered a cult hero, for his bin man looks and his full blooded style.  He was hopeless too.

In short a footballer that is considered a cult hero is by definition a bit rubbish imo, otherwise he would just be a hero.

Spot on, and I leave you with this....

Ormondroyd, ormondriyd, running down the wing,

Ormondroyd, ormondroyd, strange looking thing....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, murphy said:

Not necessarily rubbish entirely. But have some playing qualities that make them fun to watch as well. Bamba got it for sprinting up the pitch, and iborra for being a thug. Wouldn't say either of those players are particularly bad comparing to the squads we had at the time. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, murphy said:

I guess Vardy is both a hero and a cult hero.

Lloyd Dyer and Was are classic cult heroes in the sense they were decent for their time and loved by fans but ultimately limited in ability.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Lloyd Dyer and Was are classic cult heroes in the sense they were decent for their time and loved by fans but ultimately limited in ability.

Let’s get this straight… in realms of hero’s Vardy is a Super Hero 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dandy king said:

Has there ever been a swap deal ? In the last ten years ? It's always suggested by dodgy clickbait articles, never actually heard of it happening

They are as rare as rocking horse dung. Probably because they would become quite complicated. We struggle to complete transfers with just one player involved. Poor Jonny Rudkin's head would explode if two players were involved.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I think there’s 3 types. The ones like you said who are a bit crap but likeable as characters.

Then there’s the ones who made a massive impact in a short time, usually for scoring massive goals. I’m thinking like Steve Claridge or Leo Ulloa type cult heros.

Then there are players who are very good players in their own right, but weren’t the most talented in the squad. But become cult heros and elevated  through huge goals, longevity and willingness to give it all for the shirt and are usually strongly associated with us as a club. I’m thinking like Steve Walsh or Marc Albrighton type cult heroes.

2 hours ago, murphy said:

But it wasn't a permanent deal, it was just a loan.  He was still Monaco's player,  We paid to sign Tielemans, it was not a swap deal.

Melrose for English.  I'm still saying that was the last and possibly the only swap deal we've had.

Going back a bit but Frank Large and cash for Alan Clarke from Fulham. English record deal for £150,000 I believe.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I agree. I think people underrate a lot of PL footballers who have lost their way a little bit in favour of foreign players with a fancy name that they haven't got a clue about. Winks is a decent player - he's proven that in the PL, CL and at international level, he just doesn't fit Spurs anymore. 

Call me a starry-eyed optimist but I'd rather sign one of them fancy foreigners who might be crap but also might not than someone like Winks who definitely is crap

• Like 3

At time when I’ve watch winks I’ve been impressed but seem inconsistent.

He would be a decent squad player, however it depends on the deal. No way should it be a straight swap.

13 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Idk, I think it's harsh to call Winks crap. On his day he's a decent player, he's just not really in Spurs' plans anymore. I wouldn't necessarily be excited to see him at LCFC, though. 

It is not harsh to say we should not be anywhere near Harry Winks.  Lancing a boil on your bottom would create more pleasure than seeing him turn out for the Foxes. 

Just now, mozartfox said:

It is not harsh to say we should not be anywhere near Harry Winks.  Lancing a boil on your bottom would create more pleasure than seeing him turn out for the Foxes. 

Many people wanted Youri on the bench towards the end of last season, pretty sure Winks is actually better at sitting on the bench that Youri, so....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Many people wanted Youri on the bench towards the end of last season, pretty sure Winks is actually better at sitting on the bench that Youri, so....

Sorry you have lost me on this one.  I did not want Youri on the bench at any time last season and I certainly do not want Winks on our bench this season.

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Sorry you have lost me on this one.  I did not want Youri on the bench at any time last season and I certainly do not want Winks on our bench this season.

Then you sir, are not one of the many but one of the few   :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

...is it that they represent us as individuals, and knowing, that on the pitch they are giving 100%!!!

We can see the limitations, we just really want them to do well.

32 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Idk, I think it's harsh to call Winks crap. On his day he's a decent player, he's just not really in Spurs' plans anymore. I wouldn't necessarily be excited to see him at LCFC, though. 

Of course, no international player with Champions League experience is truly crap but relative to the player we're talking about him potentially replacing it's a description I'm happy with. I don't think it's any harsher or more of an exaggeration than, for example, saying Amartey doesn't know how to play football ;)

The one interesting thing I've ever seen him do was that 50-yarder he scored in Europe and he didn't even mean to do that. He's not good enough to start for us and, having signed new contracts in 2017, 2018 and 2019, probably earns too much to sit on our bench i.e. the sort of player we've accumulated far too many of in recent years 

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

I think there’s 3 types. The ones like you said who are a bit crap but likeable as characters.

Then there’s the ones who made a massive impact in a short time, usually for scoring massive goals. I’m thinking like Steve Claridge or Leo Ulloa type cult heros.

Then there are players who are very good players in their own right, but weren’t the most talented in the squad. But become cult heros and elevated  through huge goals, longevity and willingness to give it all for the shirt and are usually strongly associated with us as a club. I’m thinking like Steve Walsh or Marc Albrighton type cult heroes.

As much as I love albrighton (and struggle to forgive Walsh for joining cov), Albrighton ain't even in the same ballpark as walshy.

Vardy probably surpasses them all but maybe due to my age, walshy was Leicester city. (As is Vardy now, I guess - don't mind me, move on, nothing to see here)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Signing a 26 year old english version of Mendy on most likely 80k+ p/w for 4 years until he leaves on a free at 30 would be a terrible bit of business. I'd genuinely prefer to throw Braybrooke in there. 

If we want someone to come and collect the ball from the CBs and pass it to one of the full backs and vice versa then I'm sure we could pluck any half decent footballer from league two to perform that role at a much cheaper rate.

Transfer fees have, in the main, plunged in the last 12 months.

FFP on salaries is coming in.

I'd have thought every club outside the big six will be looking to reduce salaries, not sure how many average players will be commanding £80k per week from here on in.

1 hour ago, gw_leics772 said:

As much as I love albrighton (and struggle to forgive Walsh for joining cov), Albrighton ain't even in the same ballpark as walshy.

Vardy probably surpasses them all but maybe due to my age, walshy was Leicester city. (As is Vardy now, I guess - don't mind me, move on, nothing to see here)

Albrighton won the PL and FA Cup, Walsh won .....?