Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

42 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I understand the sentiment that lots of posters jabe expressed for issuing a deadline, but big business doesn't work like that.

Exampke I can think of is to Imagine you have a 250k value house. And you agree with the Mrs that you won't sell if it means moving out over Xmas. Someone offers you 240k? Yep, obvs you tell the buyer to stuff it. Someone offers you 280k on the condition the gaff is empty on Xmas eve....you still tell them to stick it? 

We can't and won't give any deadlines. As, essentially, we are the contract holder and can make a decision that suits us when it suits us. If it doesn't suit us, we keep the player. No deadline needed

...for £30k more, it would be enough to get in movers and rent a hotel room and still have £20k profit in your pocket!!!

A deadline for 15th of this month, and you add another £5m if they chose to buy after that date, we have to take back control of this situation. They will either back off or speed up the process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

Doesn’t strike me as the type of person who’d do that. 

We only see his public media driven face so unless you know him personally, we haven't got a clue. To be fair to him though, if I was him, a married man with kids, I'd be trying to influence a move to the best team with the best prospects for the most money. No room for sentiment or loyalty, it's his job. Supporters thoughts and feelings certainly won't come into it, why should they. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

We only see his public media driven face so unless you know him personally, we haven't got a clue. To be fair to him though, if I was him, a married man with kids, I'd be trying to influence a move to the best team with the best prospects for the most money. No room for sentiment or loyalty, it's his job. Supporters thoughts and feelings certainly won't come into it, why should they. 

....there will be a big chunk of money that will be taken from their pay by heavy taxation!!!

With the amount of money they are pulling in every year, you would like to think they would go to a place where they would enjoy playing the game, even if it is at lower pay. Once you have the first £5m then you would already be set for life. I would move and take a lower wage if that would make me want to go in every day, looking forward to playing and training with people you want around you.

The problem is, in that environment, where it is all relative, with the will to keep up with the Joneses, tends to lead to always wanting more.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....there will be a big chunk of money that will be taken from their pay by heavy taxation!!!

With the amount of money they are pulling in every year, you would like to think they would go to a place where they would enjoy playing the game, even if it is at lower pay. Once you have the first £5m then you would already be set for life. I would move and take a lower wage if that would make me want to go in every day, looking forward to playing and training with people you want around you.

The problem is, in that environment, where it is all relative, with the will to keep up with the Joneses, tends to lead to always wanting more.

Yes, I think you're right. I remember Robbie Savage saying that in football you just need one good contract and that was way before today's huge wages though in reality, they were incredible even back then.

I suppose personally, once you'd acrued the sort of money you mention, I'd want to try and play at the highest level I could and win things and I wouldn't begrudge any footballer trying to do that. Sometimes that may mean moving out of your comfort zone in not such great surroundings. I suppose you might also have to put up with some weary individuals with huge ego's too.

I sometimes wonder whether fantastic state of the art training facilities breed as many winners as perhaps more austere surroundings with coaches that match. I suppose much is down to the work ethic and personality of the individual like any other workplace. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Amazing delusion on here.  We have had a few good years, and Arsenal a few crap ones.  They remain a bigger, richer, more established club with an amazing new stadium, in London.  They also likely have a brighter future in the coming few years and are investing in players.  Youri would be entirely reasonable to move there.  

Unfortunately this is very true. We seem to be able to add nobody unless he goes and Arsenal have been on a bit of a decent buying spree without even getting him yet. Even if he wanted to stay with us it looks like it would be with basically the same team just with our best player a year older and the same with Kasper. Unless we can move on some deadwood that is but it's not going very well. You can see the difference between what we are spending and what they are. We can't continuously punch above our weight, sooner or later something has to give. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Amazing delusion on here.  We have had a few good years, and Arsenal a few crap ones.  They remain a bigger, richer, more established club with an amazing new stadium, in London.  They also likely have a brighter future in the coming few years and are investing in players.  Youri would be entirely reasonable to move there.  

I don't think anyone, if they're honest with themselves, denied that Arsenal are a bigger, richer, more established club than us with a bigger stadium. They're all either objective facts or close to it. 

However, they're a club stuck under the same glass ceiling that we are. 

Unless Arsenal get bought out or their investors completely reverse their entire strategy, Arsenal do not have the clout to consistently attack and break the top four and probably won't for the foreseeable future. 

Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United are all absolute juggernauts playing in a completely different league to Arsenal and Tottenham these days. If Chelsea keep up some consistency under their new ownership and United manage to actually finally start recruiting somewhat intelligently in the post-Pogba world then they have the capacity to near permanently shut out champions league qualification for the rest of the league. 

It leaves Arsenal in the same race we're in, stuck competing for "best of the rest" and hoping for the odd FA Cup success. 

It's through that lens that people, quite fairly really, view it as an almost sideways and underwhelming move competitively for a guy who - at his best - is one of the top play making midfielders in the world. Tielemans has the talent to follow Kante and Mahrez out of the club to league titles and Champions League knock out football. That his stock has dropped enough over the last year that Arsenal is his best option is obviously disappointing for both us and him. 

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't think anyone, if they're honest with themselves, denied that Arsenal are a bigger, richer, more established club than us with a bigger stadium. They're all either objective facts or close to it. 

However, they're a club stuck under the same glass ceiling that we are. 

Unless Arsenal get bought out or their investors completely reverse their entire strategy, Arsenal do not have the clout to consistently attack and break the top four and probably won't for the foreseeable future. 

Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United are all absolute juggernauts playing in a completely different league to Arsenal and Tottenham these days. If Chelsea keep up some consistency under their new ownership and United manage to actually finally start recruiting somewhat intelligently in the post-Pogba world then they have the capacity to near permanently shut out champions league qualification for the rest of the league. 

It leaves Arsenal in the same race we're in, stuck competing for "best of the rest" and hoping for the odd FA Cup success. 

It's through that lens that people, quite fairly really, view it as an almost sideways and underwhelming move competitively for a guy who - at his best - is one of the top play making midfielders in the world. Tielemans has the talent to follow Kante and Mahrez out of the club to league titles and Champions League knock out football. That his stock has dropped enough over the last year that Arsenal is his best option is obviously disappointing for both us and him. 

Arsenal and us are not on the same floor of the building with glass ceilings though

this season will tell us a lot about them. I suspect arteta won’t survive not competing for top 4.  Odds on poch being the next arsenal manager ?  Just teasing ! 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
14 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Is this the £30mill one? 

23m plus add ons.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

If that's what's on the table I'd run his contract down. Arsenal if rumours are to be believed aren't exactly in a strong negotiating position. £23m is daylight robbery. 

Plus 10m in add ons. I'd accept it and move on personally.

5 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

If that's what's on the table I'd run his contract down. Arsenal if rumours are to be believed aren't exactly in a strong negotiating position. £23m is daylight robbery. 

That £20m combined with freeing up what we pay him in wages quite possibly makes room for two new signings however. In turn that likely gives us the freedom to let a couple of our outcasts go on loans to reduce the wage bill as opposed to trying to force sales now when everyone knows we're desperate. 

So what do you do exactly? We can tough it out out of pride but there's a fable in there somewhere about chopping off your nose, etc. 

• Like 1