Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

Guest Col city fan
5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I mean tell him if he doesn't sign a new deal or find a club willing to pay us £25m this summer then he risks not playing and missing the World Cup. Simple

So you are genuinely saying you’d bench one of our best players if he doesn’t do the above?

Cmon Ric, that’s a. Bonkers and b. Never gonna happen with Rodgers in charge

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

So you are genuinely saying you’d bench one of our best players if he doesn’t do the above?

I'm saying I'd tell him that if I was the club. It's up to him if he thinks we'd not play him if he doesn't sign a new deal or get a transfer but it might well be the threat that's needed to come to some arrangement. It doesn't even have to be nasty, just that as a club who has to maximise every ounce of ability and effort to compete with clubs with far bigger resources than us, it would be very difficult for us to rely on a player who wants to leave and walk away for nothing.

Obviously as a player, he's one of the first names on the teamsheet but we're a soft touch and this might happen to us more and more if we aren't careful. Ndidi, Iheanacho and Maddison (possibly) will only have a year left next summer. We have to get this right whatever we do. I don't think the softly respectful approach will work if players see the wedge on offer a year down the line.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
Just now, Ric Flair said:

I'm saying I'd tell him that if I was the club. It's up to him if he thinks we'd not play him if he doesn't sign a new deal or get a transfer but it might well be the threat that's needed to come to some arrangement. It doesn't even have to be nasty, just that as a club who has to maximise every ounce of ability and effort to compete with clubs with far bigger resources than us, it would be very difficult for us to rely on a player who wants to leave and walk away for nothing.

Obviously as a player, he's one of the first names on the teamsheet but we're a soft touch and this might happen to us more and more if we aren't careful. Ndidi, Iheanacho and Maddison (possibly) will only have a year left next summer. We have to get this right whatever we do. I don't think the softly respectful approach will work if players see the wedge on offer a year down the line.

I don’t think you have to do that with Tielemans. By all reports he’s a model professional. 
I’m assuming Rodgers has said to him that he would accept an offer for him if it matched what the club felt he was worth, with which Tielemans has said he‘ll stay and play as normal until the contract runs down, if the offer doesn’t come.

It’s called man-management.

Tielemans is no Pogba. He won’t lob his toys anyway.

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

....totally agree with this, but we should have had deadlines in place!!!

The club's approach to this has been wrong, we have indulged Youri, and we do need a club policy, to prevent this from happening again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t think you have to do that with Tielemans. By all reports he’s a model professional. 
I’m assuming Rodgers has said to him that he would accept an offer for him if it matched what the club felt he was worth, with which Tielemans has said he‘ll stay and play as normal until the contract runs down, if the offer doesn’t come.

It’s called man-management.

Tielemans is no Pogba. He won’t lob his toys anyway.

...that doesn't prevent clubs from putting in an offer at the back end of the window!!!

We have a league campaign to pursue, we need to know the makeup of our squad and how we seek to proceed.

Guest Col city fan
5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that doesn't prevent clubs from putting in an offer at the back end of the window!!!

We have a league campaign to pursue, we need to know the makeup of our squad and how we seek to proceed.

Indeed, like we did last season when we signed Bertrand and Vestie last minute. I wouldn’t use Leicester as a good example of how to get transfers right at the moment.

4 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....totally agree with this, but we should have had deadlines in place!!!

The club's approach to this has been wrong, we have indulged Youri, and we do need a club policy, to prevent this from happening again.

How do you prevent this happening again? You can’t force players to sign new deals? 

At the end of the day, whilst Youri is here, he is one of the first names on the team sheet. He’s a cut above everyone else, and will move on, whether that’s for free at the end of next season or for a few this window. Either way he’s been a model professional and with a World Cup coming up, I don’t see his performances dropping this season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I mean tell him if he doesn't sign a new deal or find a club willing to pay us £25m this summer then he risks not playing and missing the World Cup. Simple

How does this attitude benefit anyone? If we have one of our best players, earning big money sitting on the sidelines because he won’t sign a new deal, not only do we miss out on his playing skills, but we risk pissing off the rest of the playing staff and looking like a bunch of dicks to any future signings. 
We paid for Youri’s services, we offered him a contract which he signed in good faith and honoured, you can’t just throw the toys out the pram because he doesn’t sign a new one.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

How does this attitude benefit anyone? If we have one of our best players, earning big money sitting on the sidelines because he won’t sign a new deal, not only do we miss out on his playing skills, but we risk pissing off the rest of the playing staff and looking like a bunch of dicks to any future signings. 
We paid for Youri’s services, we offered him a contract which he signed in good faith and honoured, you can’t just throw the toys out the pram because he doesn’t sign a new one.

I agree with this in the main.  However, it should be noted that for most of last season Tielemans wasn't one of our best players.  For a lot of it he was pretty close to awful.  Whether he plays should be strictly contingent on whether he deserves to play.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

He isn't currently one of our best players though however, that's in his past. Pick on current form, not past history. 

Rodgers apparent favouritism of Perez at one point was wrong and the same attitude with Tielemans is also wrong imo.

However, every player is redeemable. Should Tielemans bust a gut, show interest and good form better than his competition, then of course he should be a first name on the teamsheet.

But ... that hasn't happened for a while (early pre-season days for him yet in fairness). Until he does, Rodgers should have the balls to bench him. With the World Cup and his future at stake, it may be just the way to tease one last good season out of him.

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

He isn't currently one of our best players though however, that's in his past. Pick on current form, not past history. 

Rodgers apparent favouritism of Perez at one point was wrong and the same attitude with Tielemans is also wrong imo.

However, every player is redeemable. Should Tielemans bust a gut, show interest and good form better than his competition, then of course he should be a first name on the teamsheet.

But ... that hasn't happened for a while (early pre-season days for him yet in fairness). Until he does, Rodgers should have the balls to bench him. With the World Cup and his future at stake, it may be just the way to tease one last good season out of him.

He won’t bench him

Stop thinking he will…….

And neither should he ffs

:nono:

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Thank God… some sense 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

He won’t bench him

Stop thinking he will…….

Not a chance. If he’s still with us in two weeks’ time, he’ll start against Brentford. And he’ll continue to start while he’s at the club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

He won’t bench him

Stop thinking he will…….

So you would advocate potentially selecting a player whose form does not merit a place in the team, that is madness.

As many have said he was pretty dreadful for large parts of last season, no idea what Tielemans you were watching if indeed you were.

Guest Col city fan
58 minutes ago, Ian S said:

So you would advocate potentially selecting a player whose form does not merit a place in the team, that is madness.

As many have said he was pretty dreadful for large parts of last season, no idea what Tielemans you were watching if indeed you were.

Ask the manager.

He seems to have Tielemans as the first name on his team sheet every week. 

By definition you want ‘Rodgers out’ by the sounds of it.

The above poster is right. If Tielemans is still with us in two weeks time, he’ll play unless he’s about to leave.
Won’t he?

Edited by Col city fan

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Ask the manager.

He seems to have Tielemans as the first name on his team sheet every week. 

By definition you want ‘Rodgers out’ by the sounds of it.

The above poster is right. If Tielemans is still with us in two weeks time, he’ll play unless he’s about to leave.
Won’t he?

I suspect he will play and as long as he's performing then it makes sense but as I said before, we are in danger of being very vulnerable to important first team players running their contracts down here. We've always managed to do OK in that regard but once it starts it can be difficult to deal with, Arsenal and Spurs found that for a few years and it causes huge issues.

I'm sure the club will know what is going on by now. Rodgers was supposed to have a talk with Youri last week and why wouldn't Youri be honest with his intentions. If we couldn't afford to lose the money on Youri, we should have sold him last season, again its the lack of foresight with the club you'd expect big money men to get right, which brings us to Maddison I suppose, although we didn't pay so much for maddision so if we lose him for free it wouldn't be such a blow to the club.

However if Youri is playing silly buggers and being evasive, or if he says I want to run my contract down, the club will either take any offer put on the table or decide to set a precedent and not play him, I think Spurs did this with Eriksen. Making him Captain in a team playing with Ndidi though points to being on good terms with him so I think if no satisfactory offer comes in, he'll sign a new contract, I just hope we're not giving him silly money 

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

He won’t bench him

Stop thinking he will…….

I don't think he will either, but it's just my opinion he should do if his form and efforts are the same as last year because he was a definite weak link and mostly gash. Lethargic whilst others around him were working hard, constantly giving possession away and more annoyingly for me shouting and gesticulating to his team-mates as if he was orchestrating the midfield which he most definitely wasn't. How could you ever countenance such a player in your side after so many poor performances? Supposedly on the grounds that he might come good evidenced on the basis he was good the season before. For me, you pick on current form not imagination and anyone who thought he was good last season either has a good imagination or is starstruck. With everyone fit we have better options unless he improves.

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

How do you prevent this happening again? You can’t force players to sign new deals? 

At the end of the day, whilst Youri is here, he is one of the first names on the team sheet. He’s a cut above everyone else, and will move on, whether that’s for free at the end of next season or for a few this window. Either way he’s been a model professional and with a World Cup coming up, I don’t see his performances dropping this season.

...at the moment it is a guessing game, will he sign or will he not sign!!!

Put a deadline in this scenario and we have a situation where we know there there will be a resolution and when it will be. He either signs an extension or he doesn't and walks away for free next season either way we all know where we stand.

If clubs are sitting on putting in later offers, which will totally disrupt our plans for the coming season, then they either make an offer now or risk losing him next season.

He is not getting punished, he is not being marginalised, nor are we forcing him to sign a contract, we just need this saga to end and a deadline stops this impasse.

33 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I suppose, although we didn't pay so much for maddision so if we lose him for free it wouldn't be such a blow to the club

...not sure you are right about this, it is irrelevant what we paid for him in the first place!!!

By the same token, you would have been comfortable losing Mahrez, Vardy, Chilwell and Maguire to free transfers as the cost to acquire them was low (Chilwell was from the academy).

The consensus at this moment is for Maddison's price to be £60m +, we cannot afford to allow him to leave on a free because he cost us £25m.

The Youri situation needs the club to have a policy in place which triggers a sale (or a contract review, where there is an opportunity to extend) of a player with 2 years to go with their contract. As long as new players are made aware when they sign for us, then we prevent this situation from happening again.

Which is a sound idea, however if they choose to extend then that generally comes with a wage rise, so our wage bill goes up to breaking point if they all stay. 

Said it before, everybody wants us to get top money for our players but don't want to sell those players when they hit their peak. I guess that's because you can never really know when that is. 

I wanted us to sell Maguire a year before we did because there was talk of a £50mill offer and he'd come off the back of some decent England performances. I didn't think his value would increase much if at all and thought we'd missed a trick. A year later and we're fully balaclava'd up  sawn offs at the ready, absolutely taking the piss out of Man Utd. Though that was a more unique situation than you'll see most windows.

The time to sell Youri was a year ago. But you'd have seen total meltdowns. Like those you see mentioned when there's talk of selling Madders or Barnes. They're justified as you dont have hindsight in the here and now.

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I've had this debate as well.  I think in the main it's understandably frustrated fans going through some odd contortions to get to a scenario where the club can take control of this situation.  It's a fantasy though.   We simply aren't going to bench him and nor should we, unless of course he plays poorly (which is a different argument altogether). 

Therefore any threat to do so actually makes us look weaker and, as you say, like dicks to everyone else including existing and future players.

This is the reality and we'll see more of it, players running down contracts particularly at 'smaller' clubs enabling them to bugger off to 'bigger' clubs for a nice juicy signing on fee.  Sadly I think it will just reinforce the status quo and the big clubs cartel.  But that's not something Leicester can sort out by trying to bench Youri.  

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
6 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

I've had this debate as well.  I think in the main it's understandably frustrated fans going through some odd contortions to get to a scenario where the club can take control of this situation.  It's a fantasy though.   We simply aren't going to bench him and nor should we, unless of course he plays poorly (which is a different argument altogether). 

Therefore any threat to do so actually makes us look weaker and, as you say, like dicks to everyone else including existing and future players.

This is the reality and we'll see more of it, players running down contracts particularly at 'smaller' clubs enabling them to bugger off to 'bigger' clubs for a nice juicy signing on fee.  Sadly I think it will just reinforce the status quo and the big clubs cartel.  But that's not something Leicester can sort out by trying to bench Youri.  

Absolutely spot on

Anyone saying Tielemans should be benched is just throwing their toys out of the pram in an immature moment.

It’s this attitude of ‘if he wants to go then let him go’ (which I agree with tbf). But if we can’t let him leave or ultimately don’t want to, then play him as one of the best players at the club and let him see out his contract in a fair and adult way.