Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

59 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Find it odd that at the quoted prices, no-one from Italy, Spain or France has had a nibble

I expect a lot of them are potentially looking at getting him to agree a contract on a free at the end of the year

If he has a good world cup, those European clubs can all throw offers at him and get him signed up 6 months before his contract finishes

• Like 1

The idea that megaclubs would be beating our door down with huge offers for Youri was a fantasy driven by homers who have an inflated view of his value.  It was never going to happen - he's just not at the level the really top clubs will pay big money for.  He's a good player, and if he had three or four years left on his contract you'd get offers from "big-ish" clubs, especially in Europe, or maybe a struggling giant like MU would take a punt.  As is, these clubs see no urgency in paying 20 million or more for a guy they can get on a free in a year if they really want him.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
6 hours ago, Ian S said:

You wasting your breath, as am I expecting an answer re where is the queue of top clubs for his services.

I genuinely reply to your posts with a due sense of dread as you seem to me to be an ‘aggressive’ poster.

But here goes…

Tielemans is a quality footballer. He’s an international with many many caps under his belt. He’s consistently picked by Belgium, a team well up in the FIFA rankings.

I clearly see him as being a better footballer than you do. He also seems a good bloke, great to work with and (according to Rodgers), a model pro.

Given this, the club should have pushed the boat out to secure him on a long term deal AND had the ambition to make him want to stay. I say that again.. to make him WANT to stay. What did we do as a club? Last summer we signed Vestergaard and Bertrand (two complete duffers from Southampton). This summer we’ve signed no-one. Tielemans knows this. For his career to progress, it’s likely he needs to move on. Who can blame him? Would you want to stay in a team that concedes goals at the rate we do?

Regarding my point about disrespecting him, just look at this thread for that. You do it yourself. In some misguided notion of portraying ‘loyalty’ to Leicester, you’ll be happy for a player like Tielemans just to go without thinking of the potential implications of this. Who do we get to replace him for 15 mill?

Finally, in terms of there not being a queue to be signing Tielemans, well firstly, the windows not shut and secondly any suitors are probably waiting to secure him on a free. We’ll have to wait and see for that.

When I watch Tielemans play for Leicester I think he is a player who is better suited in a club showing more ambition than we are and with a fan base who see in the player what I see. I think he’d look very very good at Arsenal for instance. 
If you don’t like my view on this, that’s fine. I’ll handle it. 

Edited by Col city fan

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I genuinely reply to your posts with a due sense of dread as you seem to be an ‘aggressive’ poster.

But here goes…

Tielemans is a quality footballer. He’s an international with many many caps under his belt. He’s consistently picked by Belgium, a team well up in the FIFA rankings.

I clearly see him as being a better footballer than you do. He also seems a good bloke, great to work with and (according to Rodgers), a model pro.

Given this, the club should have pushed the boat out to secure him on a long term deal AND had the ambition to make him want to stay. I say that again.. to make him WANT to stay. What did we do as a club? Last summer we signed Vestergaard and Bertrand (two complete duffers from Southampton). This summer we’ve signed no-one. Tielemans knows this. For his career to progress, it’s likely he needs to move on. Who can blame him? Would you want to stay in a team that concedes goals at the rate we do?

Regarding my point about disrespecting him, just look at this thread for that. You do it yourself. In some misguided notion of portraying ‘loyalty’ to Leicester, you’ll be happy for a player like Tielemans just to go without thinking of the potential implications of this. Who do we get to replace him for 15 mill?

Finally, in terms of there not being a queue to be signing Tielemans, well firstly, the windows not shut and secondly any suitors are probably waiting to secure him on a free. We’ll have to wait and see for that.

When I watch Tielemans play for Leicester I think he is a player who is better suited in a club showing more ambition than we are and with a fan base who see in the player what I see. I think he’d look very very good at Arsenal for instance. 

Well said Col, bang on imho. His form dipped last season but he's a fantastic footballer, more than capable of playing at a higher level. I would hate to see him go to Arsenal or United but if he does, his arrival makes either team stronger straightaway. I think we will have offers but even if we don't, Youri will have some great offers when he leaves on a free. I still think that's his plan and always has been.

25 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I genuinely reply to your posts with a due sense of dread as you seem to be an ‘aggressive’ poster.

But here goes…

It's a  nice thought, but it's ultimately naive.

What do you mean - push the boat out on a long-term deal? Offer him £200k? £300k? a week? He's already one of our top earners and as it's pretty clear right now, our wage bill is way too high as it is, only a couple of seasons ago our wage bill was higher than our entire turnover.

Do you really think the club's contract offer which has been on the table since early last season would be derisory? I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't towards the very limit of where we can go while still trying to keep a sustainable wage bill. Tielemans has ultimately decided he doesn't want that contract, which is fair enough, but that's his choice.

And what happens when we offer him £200k per week? Wouldn't our other key players like Vardy and Maddison start wanting the same? I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Vardy even had a clause in his contract that his wage would always match the highest earner at the club.

"You’ll be happy for a player like Tielemans just to go without thinking of the potential implications of this. Who do we get to replace him for 15 mill?" - Absolutely no one wants him out the door for that money, but people are thinking through the ramifications of this - the ramifications are that it's £15mil now or £0 next summer. We're not getting into CL this season, we're in for a mediocre season whether he stays or goes, so the "keep him for another year, he will be worth that extra money if he fires us to the CL this season" idealists who were using that defence back in May, surely have to accept that won't happen by now?

The reality is we're not going to replace him well for £15mil at all, but we're still going to have more a chance to at least replace him with a serviceable replacement than trying to replace him for £0 next summer.

No one wants to see Tielemans go for a cut down price, but it's not the club that's caused the price to be cut down, it's Tielemans running down his contract. I think you have an naive view on how much we've had to live outside our realistic means to be able to compete with the big boys in recent seasons. Our wage to turnover % is extraordinary compared to pretty much every other PL club.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I expect a lot of them are potentially looking at getting him to agree a contract on a free at the end of the year

If he has a good world cup, those European clubs can all throw offers at him and get him signed up 6 months before his contract finishes

I think he will be gone by end of the window, people just waiting to drive the acceptable fee level down

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

I expect man utd to come in now.  They need mf quality 

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

I am hoping man utd bid up arsenal 

They prefer Rabiot which says everything you need to know.

Tielemans isn't fancied by any of the big boys, not if they have to pay a fee.

4 hours ago, Ian S said:

😂😂 , don’t make me laugh.Never good enough for Liverpool, think it may be dawning on him he is at his level.

Can’t disagree anymore with this. The guy is class. His vision and technique are way above that of anyone we have ever had in a no 8 roll. Last season, the fact BR wanted KDH to press high leaving YT to sit deeper and collect the ball at RB , and the loss of WN dramatically hindered his natural game. Playing in that Liverpool team, he thrives….

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

After yesterday's performance I hope we refuse any offers under £20m. I'd sooner keep him and have him leave on a free in the summer.

He could be the difference beween us getting European football or not. Relegation or not if you're on of the doom mongers on here.

Both worth more than £20m.

The cost of keeping him would by 20mil plus his wages....  

There seems to be a lot of reports in the past 3 hours stating that Arsenal are looking to move quicker than Man U to secure Tielemens & are willing to go up to €50m...hmmm if your going to do it do it quickly please & for €50m

• Haha 1

After yesterday's performance I hope we refuse any offers under £20m. I'd sooner keep him and have him leave on a free in the summer.

He could be the difference beween us getting European football or not. Relegation or not if you're on of the doom mongers on here.

We're not going down though.

He's only worth it if we get back into the CL, £20m + his wages, wouldn't cover getting into the Conference League or Europa League - and that's also not covering the £20mil+ one year wages we could then spend on a replacement at some point.

We're not making the CL or getting relegated this season. He might be the difference between finishing 7th and 10th and making the Conference League (and I don't think he would have a 3 position impact anyway), but at that point it still makes far more sense for us to sell this summer as it will give us more funds to get a replacement in than let him go for nothing next summer.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

There seems to be a lot of reports in the past 3 hours stating that Arsenal are looking to move quicker than Man U to secure Tielemens & are willing to go up to €50m...hmmm if your going to do it do it quickly please & for €50m

For €50m I’ll drive him there (and I want him to stay) 

• Like 3

We won't be anywhere near the European places ,this season.

We'll do well to stay up with that defence 

• Haha 1

I’d just get rid of him for whatever we can get. He was mentally gone last season. This ain’t going to be any better. He isn’t committed to us and has no loyalty - fair enough. However, we should move him out and move on. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

The cost of keeping him would by 20mil plus his wages....  

33 minutes ago, Sampson said:

We're not going down though.

He's only worth it if we get back into the CL, £20m + his wages, wouldn't cover getting into the Conference League or Europa League - and that's also not covering the £20mil+ one year wages we could then spend on a replacement at some point.

We're not making the CL or getting relegated this season. He might be the difference between finishing 7th and 10th and making the Conference League (and I don't think he would have a 3 position impact anyway), but at that point it still makes far more sense for us to sell this summer as it will give us more funds to get a replacement in than let him go for nothing next summer.

Shouldn't be seen to be selling a player of his quality for £15m, there are worse players with a year left going for more.

He's also worth keeping just to watch displays like the first half yesterday.

3 hours ago, Tackeberry29 said:

Can’t disagree anymore with this. The guy is class. His vision and technique are way above that of anyone we have ever had in a no 8 roll. Last season, the fact BR wanted KDH to press high leaving YT to sit deeper and collect the ball at RB , and the loss of WN dramatically hindered his natural game. Playing in that Liverpool team, he thrives….

He'd have to move a hell of a lot quicker at Liverpool and not pass to the opposition. Nowhere near good enough, he'd be on the bench at best.