Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

Just now, Grebfromgrebland said:

Yes and he also had Mahrez coming through as his replacement. 

If we already had tielemans replacement in (Soumare!) then there's be a lot less stress about this situation.

You can't sell a player if no team comes in for him, maybe we could now start offering him around for £10m as it's better than nothing but given the predicament we are in I'm not even sure that benefits us short term. 

We would have sold him last summer if a bid of £35-40m came, there wasn't even one derisory bid, we've never ever had one. So I repeat, what could the club have done to safeguard themselves on Tielemans?

• Like 1

Maybe you have better memories than me but I don’t remember Knockert leaving due to refusing to sign a new contract and if that was the situation I don’t think we as a club were that bothered as for a start we didn’t pay 40 million for him and two we didn’t play him that often as he was so inconsistent. 

14 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Yes and he also had Mahrez coming through as his replacement. 

If we already had tielemans replacement in (Soumare!) then there's be a lot less stress about this situation.

Whoever thought Soumare was going to be a direct replacement for Tielemans wants their head examining!!

24 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

IMO we are loaded with central midfielders. KDH's surprise emergence as being immediately ready for the Premier League and the return of Dennis Praet mean if/when Tielemans & Soumare leave, the money raised/saved can go on strengthening another position.

Edited by LeePhilpottsBaldSpot
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, wignalll2007 said:

Maybe you have better memories than me but I don’t remember Knockert leaving due to refusing to sign a new contract and if that was the situation I don’t think we as a club were that bothered as for a start we didn’t pay 40 million for him and two we didn’t play him that often as he was so inconsistent. 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/knockaert-has-no-regrets-rejecting-leicester-extension

The point I'm making is, you say Pearson would never have allowed this situation to happen and I retorted that he'd never been in this position at an established PL club with players that are sought after by massive clubs or who think massive clubs will want them.

The one example where a player we'd paid a big fee at the time for and who'd done very well for us is Knockaert and yet he was allowed to reject contracts and walk away on a free. You say that's not the same because we didn't need him but given Pearson never managed a club in the standing that we have been for several years, what evidence have you got for that belief?

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/knockaert-has-no-regrets-rejecting-leicester-extension

The point I'm making is, you say Pearson would never have allowed this situation to happen and I retorted that he'd never been in this position at an established PL club with players that are sought after by massive clubs or who think massive clubs will want them.

The one example where a player we'd paid a big fee at the time for and who'd done very well for us is Knockaert and yet he was allowed to reject contracts and walk away on a free. You say that's not the same because we didn't need him but given Pearson never managed a club in the standing that we have been for several years, what evidence have you got for that belief?

Ok I take your point. 

Can you answer me this? 
Do you think Rodgers is doing a good job? 

From what I saw on Saturday, I don't think Youri gets into that Arsenal side. Not the starting 11 for Prem matches anyway. Their movement was streets ahead of anything we displayed, and Youri was absent. I honestly don't see why they'd want him.

3 minutes ago, taupe said:

From what I saw on Saturday, I don't think Youri gets into that Arsenal side. Not the starting 11 for Prem matches anyway. Their movement was streets ahead of anything we displayed, and Youri was absent. I honestly don't see why they'd want him.

Because he can play a lot better than he did for us on Saturday - some players simply wouldn’t have managed the heat as well as others.  Probably wasn’t the best day to make judgements 

also, ask any gooner how well xhaka is playing (he is now replicating his Swiss national team performance levels)  - when you bring in good players it raises the standard in the squad.  

Edited by st albans fox

7 hours ago, Smudge said:

An outfield footballer's career at a high level of earnings is about 15 years, max.

How anyone can deride a player for maximizing those earnings is beyond me.

We treat players like mercenaries and wonder why they act like mercenaries.

I had more sympathy for this argument in the old days, when top footballers earned a decent wage but nowhere near enough to set them up for life.

Less so nowadays, given that even the most mediocre Premier League squad player probably earns more in a year than most people see in a lifetime.

10 minutes ago, Simoken said:

whats with a majority of peoples obsession with the Pearson era, it was a terrible period for the club of uncertainty and relegation.

I’m by no means a Pearson obsessive, but I’m fairly sure we never got relegated under him. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Simoken said:

whats with a majority of peoples obsession with the Pearson era, it was a terrible period for the club of uncertainty and relegation.

Really a period of uncertainty and relegation? 

The man got us out of the first division, the Championship and set up the infrastructure that won us the league! 

Edited by wignalll2007
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Simoken said:

What on earth are you talking about? How long have you been supporting the club? absolute rubbish. He started the whole thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

What on earth are you talking about? How long have you been supporting the club? absolute rubbish. He started the whole thing.

That last season with Pearson we only just survived so yeah huge uncertainty.. That Vardy goal decided if we were down or  staying. His bizarre behavior on and off the pitch, a total embarrasment and the fact hes way out of his depth in the PL not just with LCFC. who the **** wants that era to return? lets think forwards not backwards. #UPTHERODGERS #WEREMASSSSSSIVE

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, wignalll2007 said:

Weak leadership and management has caused this situation. No way would this of happened under someone like Nigel Pearson. I think it highlights the current problems we have in a nutshell! 

It did happen under Pearson. In our championship winning season we had a number of players in their last year, with no marquee signings that summer too. Had we not won promotion, we probably would’ve had a heavy rebuild due to a number of key players leaving. 

37 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Are you confusing the Pearson era with the era before the Pearson era? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Let's not forget we've had zero bids for Youri, which the club will be so frustrated over. Not last summer, not this summer. 

...as countless posters have said, the agents talk first then the clubs become involved!!!

What if Tielemans had a "red flag" issue, that he has to be guaranteed game time in his preferred position for a new club. How many teams out there would be able to offer him that promise, it may well explain why no offers have been received because behind the scenes he is asking for something that clubs are unable to do, or not wish to offer.

A club  our size would perhaps jump at the chance to recruit him, and somewhere such as Newcastle could see this as a chance to bring in a "keystone".

Youri will be here this season and perhaps for the next three seasons, unless someone outthere gives him the role that he wants and on his own terms.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2022 at 08:02, Sunbury Fox said:

I think Praet is a decent player but Youri is on a completely different (higher) level. When Youri leaves I think fans who are sceptical about him will realise just how good he really is. 

My personal opinion is that he lacks focus and commitment. It's been a contentious subject for more than one season. Had he the focus of, for example Vardy, then his influence on games would be far more significant. He doesn't seem to work on his involvement - seems to float around the activity.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...as countless posters have said, the agents talk first then the clubs become involved!!!

What if Tielemans had a "red flag" issue, that he has to be guaranteed game time in his preferred position for a new club. How many teams out there would be able to offer him that promise, it may well explain why no offers have been received because behind the scenes he is asking for something that clubs are unable to do, or not wish to offer.

A club  our size would perhaps jump at the chance to recruit him, and somewhere such as Newcastle could see this as a chance to bring in a "keystone".

Youri will be here this season and perhaps for the next three seasons, unless someone outthere gives him the role that he wants and on his own terms.

Unfortunate as it is, he definitely isn’t going to be here for the next 3 seasons. If he doesn’t leave before the end of the window there will be loads of teams interested when he won’t cost them a fee