Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Cincinnati Fox said:

Liverpool sniffing about with a very low ball offer

Take it.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

The desperation on here is palpable. 

Hes basically playing for the opposition anyway at the moment.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
9 minutes ago, Cincinnati Fox said:

15 million, 3 year contract. Fills a gap and they can probably sell him for 30 as they are well run

Where did you hear this?

29 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Unless it's over £25m I'd rather we keep him, he's still the best number 8 that we have. 

Would be a good alternative/succession planning for Thiago, tbf. 

If Liverpool are even contemplating replacing Thiago with ****ing Youri Tielemans, they might as well get prepared for another 30 years of no title. Tielemans isn’t half the player Thiago is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

What? Yeah he's not as good as Thiago, but think about how good he's been for us when the rest of the team around him is also playing well. I'm sure he'd perform well in a free-flowing Liverpool side. 

Youri Tielemans has been good for us. Poor for about a year but a good player for us. 

The levels between him doing for us and them is vast. Youri us a tendency to struggle with expectancy. See us, see Monaco. If he went to Liverpool he will be a good squad filler. Similar to Lallana. 

Thiago is a world class midfielder.

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

That's essentially what I was saying when I said he was a good alternative/succession planning and he's not as good as Thiago. Does Tielemans have a tendency to struggle with expectation? He's popped up at some big moments when we've needed him to, obviously not quite so much recently. 

He's levels above Lallana though, let's not be silly here. 

That’s unfair on Lallana. Before he went to Liverpool he was also Southampton’s main man. There is a different level there. And I’m not having a dig at Tielemans. His career is doing that. Here. Monaco. He has had periods of spectacular failure. The good with the bad. The consistency needed to be a Thiago is another level. We saw it with Mahrez. We saw it with Kante. I think we were also seeing it with Fofana. 

There is a reason a player whose been in the shop window for what is now 8 months hasn’t even been 4th choice for a lot of clubs. 

Liverpool is probably a step too far for him but he’ll get a move to Palace or Everton in a year or too, so it works out. 

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Lallana at his best was never as good as Tielemans at his best. Maybe he would have been had he not struggled with injuries, but seriously? 

I'm not saying he is on Thiago's level either. None of my posts have said that. 

The Palace or Everton comment is crazy lol no way he ends up at either of them in the next couple of years. 

A few years ago there was a link that had us chasing Danny Ings. Not all but some of the responses were that Ings was no where good enough for us. He went off to Southampton and Villa and has had a very decent PL career. He would’ve been quite effective here hindsight.

There is a consistency requirement at that level which to date, in his career, Tielemans has not been anywhere near. There is a reason why a cut price Tielemans still sits on the shelf a week before the deadline. If he was good enough to step in (even occasionally) for Thiago for Liverpool to continue to hit their levels (90 plus points, cup finals) the saving of £5m means nothing. 

If he is signed at that level, he is a stop gap. Rightly so. When that club needs to free up space in the squad to sign someone else, he moves on. What sort of club does he sign for in the PL ? United - no. Chelsea - no. Man City - not a chance. 

Take Naby Keita for example. If you told me we sell Tielemans but get Keita, there would be genuine excitement in our fan base. A fit Naby Keita is an excellent footballer. Sometimes he can’t get in that Liverpool team. 

Say Fofana changes his mind and decides he wants to stay but you can only keep one of the two. How many Leicester fans are opting for Tielemans ?

He is talented footballer who lacks consistency. There are many like him. Very few like Thiago. That’s why he is world class. 

Call a spade a spade. Youri has been a good player for us but to suggest he is anywhere near world class is not correct. He is a squad filler at a world class team. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Tielemans in a Liverpool sidelol 

Probably doesn’t even work hard enough to make the tea in Klopp’s office. 

Klopp will have Youri running around like prime Kante once he gets that special "asthma" medication.😁

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

A few years ago there was a link that had us chasing Danny Ings. Not all but some of the responses were that Ings was no where good enough for us. He went off to Southampton and Villa and has had a very decent PL career. He would’ve been quite effective here hindsight.

There is a consistency requirement at that level which to date, in his career, Tielemans has not been anywhere near. There is a reason why a cut price Tielemans still sits on the shelf a week before the deadline. If he was good enough to step in (even occasionally) for Thiago for Liverpool to continue to hit their levels (90 plus points, cup finals) the saving of £5m means nothing. 

If he is signed at that level, he is a stop gap. Rightly so. When that club needs to free up space in the squad to sign someone else, he moves on. What sort of club does he sign for in the PL ? United - no. Chelsea - no. Man City - not a chance. 

Take Naby Keita for example. If you told me we sell Tielemans but get Keita, there would be genuine excitement in our fan base. A fit Naby Keita is an excellent footballer. Sometimes he can’t get in that Liverpool team. 

Say Fofana changes his mind and decides he wants to stay but you can only keep one of the two. How many Leicester fans are opting for Tielemans ?

He is talented footballer who lacks consistency. There are many like him. Very few like Thiago. That’s why he is world class. 

Call a spade a spade. Youri has been a good player for us but to suggest he is anywhere near world class is not correct. He is a squad filler at a world class team. 

Have you seen anyone convincingly argue against this point, because I haven't? 

It just seem to be blithely ignored as any kind of indicator of his true ability. I continue to see bold assertions from people who seem to think we should ignore the last 12 months and  base our opinion purely on what is turning out to be a relatively shorter and shorter window of excellence here.

To me the lack of interest in him is as close to an empirical refutation of the idea that he's remotely world class as it gets. The idea that he just needs to be surrounded by quality players to show something approaching this level doesn't seem to be one the teams full of quality players are buying into. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Unless it's over £25m I'd rather we keep him, he's still the best number 8 that we have. 

Would be a good alternative/succession planning for Thiago, tbf. 

Just don't think personally he'll ever make the grade at a team like Liverpool. Not quick or athletic enough and gives the ball away far to easily. That is unless he's just been coasting here for a long long time in which case his attitude could look a bit doubtful. I think there are a lot of blue tinted glasses here where Tielemans is concerned, he can make one slide rule pass once every 3 games and people get carried away. The demands of a 'real' elite manager would be a lot more I think. He probably needs the pressure of having to perform or get benched to get the best out of him which is something he's never had here.

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

Have you seen anyone convincingly argue against this point, because I haven't? 

It just seem to be blithely ignored as any kind of indicator of his true ability. I continue to see bold assertions from people who seem to think we should ignore the last 12 months and  base our opinion purely on what is turning out to be a relatively shorter and shorter window of excellence here.

To me the lack of interest in him is as close to an empirical refutation of the idea that he's remotely world class as it gets. The idea that he just needs to be surrounded by quality players to show something approaching this level doesn't seem to be one the teams full of quality players are buying into. 

I thought our players were all top class and we should be challenging regularly…..   :D

But I agree, he worked well enough for us when he was at his best and in the right system, but he is not action enough for teams truly challenging that high in the league