Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

It becomes an odd equation; how much is a not 100% Youri worth to us (in footballing terms) He's still a class act, better than many a committed alternative, but how do you decide it?

That's where the club's valuation comes in I guess. As the decider, the line in the sand. I've no idea what that valuation is but don't be surprised if Youri stays (unless interest from another club forces Arsenal's hand) this window. There's always January.

For me, this is an intriguing story and one told much more quietly and respectively than Fofana's toys.

52 minutes ago, taupe said:

I personally think Arsenal would be insane to wait til the summer. 

If YT has a good season this year and returns to something like his best form and he's then available for free, Arsenal have zero chance. 

Barcelona and Madrid will be all over it, Juventus will be circling, they'll all be coming out the woodwork with offers. 

Arsenal's main advantage at the moment is that none of those clubs can afford to take a punt and it's too much to pay for them for a guy with a year left who just had a mediocre season. 

• Like 3

Barcelona and Madrid wouldn’t touch Youri no matter what he does this season - he’s not in that class.  Liverpool no way, he can’t play in that system.  Juventus?  I suppose it’s possible, but we’ve seen nothing concrete indicating that’ve ever had serious interest.

If I were Arsenal, I’d wait.  There are bigger clubs, but not nearly as many as there are smaller ones.  The number of clubs bigger than Arsenal who’d actually pursue Tielemans is so small that they have to like their odds.

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I personally think Arsenal would be insane to wait til the summer. 

It's something that jangles 'not quite right' to me too tbh. For me, Youri can't feature that highly in their plans if they're prepared to gamble. Even from Youri's perspective, it doesn't quite square up for me. 

That said, if that's the deal what's it matter what I think :dunno:

Edit: I guess @Deeg67is right - where Youri would fit well is kinda niche. Maybe Arsenal are confident he wont tick other club's boxes.

Edited by taupe
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, taupe said:

Even from Youri's perspective, it doesn't quite square up for me

Which bit? Definitely makes sense for Youri to wait. 

Right now it looks like his main option is Arsenal. One small step forwards. They're likely to be a perpetual Europa League club for the next decade at least. 

If he's up for free next year and he plays himself back in to some good form in the meantime then he'll have far more offers to consider. 

Just now, jonny_wright said:

Survival is worth more than 19m - may as well keep him now and let him walk next summer 

Yes, I reckon that'll be in the mix of thinking. Depends who (indeed if) we have lined up as incoming 

Remember we paid £15m for Vestergaard with one year left on his deal last summer, and Villa did the same with Ings for £30m… I’d almost be tempted to keep him for £19m, might keep us out of a relegation scrap if he continues to put in the effort. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Which bit? Definitely makes sense for Youri to wait. 

Right now it looks like his main option is Arsenal. One small step forwards. They're likely to be a perpetual Europa League club for the next decade at least. 

If he's up for free next year and he plays himself back in to some good form in the meantime then he'll have far more offers to consider. 

Why would they be a Europa League club for a decade? I know it's early days but we are bottom and they are top. They play Infront of 60k in London and pay higher wages than us. They have way more chance of winning things and being in the top 4 than we do currently, it's got to be fairly attractive. Midfield is their weakest point aswell, he's better than Xhaka, Elneny and Sambi Lokonga, meaning he will play regularly as well.

• Like 1

Didn’t Klopp say yesterday they had bid for another player but he chose to go to another club. Wondered at the time if that could be Youri, who has instead agreed to go to the Arse. 

Hopefully, £19m was Liverpool’s bid (mystery club) and instead he’s going to Arsenal for more like £25m?! 

2+2=5 and all that

1 minute ago, teblin said:

19m is a low ball offer however that means. £19m to spend and also a years less wages. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was Liverpool.

I'm not sure it does mean that. We're not getting 70 million to spend from Fofana as far as I can see. Also we lose his wages but we have no one at the club who plays like he does and creates the chances he does. So would need to pay someone else a good proportion of his wages.

I don't see any likely replacement being anywhere near his level and certainly not for 19 million. Not sure we have time or money or available wages to replace.

This 'mystery club' was actually a masterstroke from Rudkin. He picked up the blower to some random Twitter wannabe and said "keep this on the down low but we've had an offer on Youri, I can't tell you from who at this moment but I will let you know because I respect what you do"

Edited by taupe

Arsenal & Liverpool both need a midfielder like him, hopefully we can hold out for closer to £25 million.

Ideally if we have any departures it needs to be Tielemans & Soyuncu, you can’t let those two walk away for free next summer.