Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

I'm surprised Arsenal are prepared to wait a year. Tielemans is only 25 but he's played around 500 career matches already and he's hardly the most mobile already. I can see him being a player that begins to decline at 27/28 so you'd think Arsenal, if they really do like him, would want to get him onboard as soon as possible.

12 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Why would they be a Europa League club for a decade? I know it's early days but we are bottom and they are top. They play Infront of 60k in London and pay higher wages than us. They have way more chance of winning things and being in the top 4 than we do currently, it's got to be fairly attractive. Midfield is their weakest point aswell, he's better than Xhaka, Elneny and Sambi Lokonga, meaning he will play regularly as well.

I'm not suggesting they're not a step up from us. 

I just don't think there's currently any evidence that Arsenal are ready to consistently break the top four, let alone challenge for titles. 

They absolutely might do it this season (although making predictions like that after a few games is always dangerous) while Chelsea and United in particular are having a bit of a crisis of identity, but there's been no evidence for years to suggest Arsenal (or Tottenham) can keep up with the spending power of the "big four" and I think if you give it long enough, laugh as people might, Newcastle are going to come along and eventually join that party. 

Yes, Arsenal's spending has finally taken an upturn over the last eighteen months but they're a long way off proving that that's consistent and Kroenke has been extremely conservative so far in his ownership of the club. 

Just now, Finnegan said:

I'm not suggesting they're not a step up from us. 

I just don't think there's currently any evidence that Arsenal are ready to consistently break the top four, let alone challenge for titles. 

They absolutely might do it this season (although making predictions like that after a few games is always dangerous) while Chelsea and United in particular are having a bit of a crisis of identity, but there's been no evidence for years to suggest Arsenal (or Tottenham) can keep up with the spending power of the "big four" and I think if you give it long enough, laugh as people might, Newcastle are going to come along and eventually join that party. 

Yes, Arsenal's spending has finally taken an upturn over the last eighteen months but they're a long way off proving that that's consistent and Kroenke has been extremely conservative so far in his ownership of the club. 

Provided they are well managed it's a young team that's only going up. Players like Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, Jesus, Odegaard, White, Tomiyasu etc are only going to improve by playing each week. The danger for Arsenal is that if they don't win something soon those players will be snatched up by UCL regulars.

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Provided they are well managed it's a young team that's only going up. Players like Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, Jesus, Odegaard, White, Tomiyasu etc are only going to improve by playing each week. The danger for Arsenal is that if they don't win something soon those players will be snatched up by UCL regulars.

Yeah exactly, Arsenal aren't really a dominant force in world football anymore. They've definitely recovered a bit from a few years ago when they were a joke but they're not there yet. 

4 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

I think anything less than 25m and we've got to keep him. He's very important creatively. If he maintains form and gets another 6 or 7 goals/assists in his last year. That might just be the difference and keep us in the PL.  

I mean we all think this, and from the eye test it seems plausible, but we are bottom of the league in terms of big chance creation with him running the midfield 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

We had a ‘young team that’s only going to get better’ as recently as 12 months ago, yet we are now completely doggo.

1 minute ago, jim5000 said:

We had a ‘young team that’s only going to get better’ as recently as 12 months ago, yet we are now completely doggo.

I think we were in a similar position to Arsenal in 2019 but we've allowed our squad to go completely stale.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hamilton Fox said:

Don’t agree, we aren’t going to get a quality replacement for £20m and I’d rather have another season with tielemans in the team hopefully giving us enough quality to avoid relegation right now

He makes too many mistakes and isn't performing at the levels we know he's capable of. He's been carried through games for the majority of the past 12 months. 

• Like 1

It’s that late into the window I’d just keep him for the season now, even if that means losing him for free. 

I guess it’s easy to say this when it’s not my £15-20m but with the start we’ve had, he’s move valuable to us this season, than the money would be. 

• Like 1

If he actually signs for Newcastle then I lose a lot of respect for him 

as a comparison to wes forcing a move  to Chelsea it’s not even in the same book, let alone page!

but money talks and if he has set a salary that no one will meet and Newcastle decide to then I suppose it’s his career choice ….

Guest Mee-9

Can't believe some people are forgetting that a few games ago 'his head wasn't in it' also. 

He's nowhere near the level of Fofana, but it's clear his head's been turned and he isn't some martyr figure that people seem to believe he is for 'putting effort on the pitch.' 

He's got to go simple, to whoever purely to save that £20m. 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If he actually signs for Newcastle then I lose a lot of respect for him 

as a comparison to wes forcing a move  to Chelsea it’s not even in the same book, let alone page!

but money talks and if he has set a salary that no one will meet and Newcastle decide to then I suppose it’s his career choice ….

Newcastle will be pushing for that 'best of the rest' this season. We are nuts if we don't think that Newcastle's trajectory isn't exciting for players, compared to fighting for scraps via Rodgers ball. Not europe this season, very likely candidates for Europa next season.