Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

17 hours ago, Corky said:

If his wage demands are so high, why are the club being criticised? We can't do much if he wants a lot more and if other clubs also aren't willing to pay 

Agreed but it makes no sense whatsoever for Rodgers to have him as captain with one foot out the door already and us in a relegation battle. To me it just sends the wrong message. Everyone knows he's going and we are probably getting nothing for him so at least put someone in as Captain that will be with us a while.

• Like 1

Again it looks like the club has messed up on this, we had the more sway in the summer or before where we could have forced his hand by telling him he'll train with thr u21s and sit on the bench  for the rest of his contract unless he moves  a season not playing might have bothered him, especially before the world Cup, but now he'd be happy to sit on the bench for for half a season 

On 18/01/2023 at 17:13, Corky said:

If his wage demands are so high, why are the club being criticised? We can't do much if he wants a lot more and if other clubs also aren't willing to pay 

I wouldnt criticise the club for not meeting his wage demands. That is very much a good thing. 

However, how we approach players who make it clear they either do not want to be here or are actively playing down their contract probably needs changing. 

I know a lot of people wont agree with me but sometimes a bit of arrogance with them has long term benefits. 

1 minute ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I wouldnt criticise the club for not meeting his wage demands. That is very much a good thing. 

However, how we approach players who make it clear they either do not want to be here or are actively playing down their contract probably needs changing. 

I know a lot of people wont agree with me but sometimes a bit of arrogance with them has long term benefits. 

Like Soyuncu? 

If a player wants to go on a free, or wants the power from a short contract, I'm not sure there is any perfect solution to it. Other than not signing players who won't sign long contracts in the first place (that come with their own risks). 

The biggest gripe I have is making him captain, should never have happened.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Like Soyuncu? 

If a player wants to go on a free, or wants the power from a short contract, I'm not sure there is any perfect solution to it. Other than not signing players who won't sign long contracts in the first place (that come with their own risks). 

This is definitely one of things we should never had done. 

I also agree with you that it isnt an easy situation. I do believe our players, Soyuncu, Tielemans and maybe even Ndidi believe that they are better than they actually are. The situation of Soyuncu and Tielemans highlight that. Tielemans has effectively made himself available for two years and while a "bigger" club would be willing to add him to the squad, they are perfectly happy to wait and risk losing him in a bidding war when he is free. 

We;ve been lucky at this club in recent times to have seen genuine world class talent. Mahrez, Kante, Prime Vardy (I dont care what anyone says), Fofana (waits to be hit) all fall within that catergory for me. I dont think we have one player who falls within that category right now. Our most influential, effective player is Maddison. Dropping/isolating him would (as we can see right now) have a detrimental effect on our progress. 

I would've treated him just like Soyuncu and with a world cup coming up he wouldve been forced to take some sort of move last summer. Where he goes ? I couldnt care less. However, that would've meant we could've recouped something and had a replacement. all ifs and maybes I know.  

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 2

On 17/01/2023 at 10:08, Mickyblueeyes said:

I was watching the sky sports transfer documentary - really interesting if anyone wants to watch it. I think it is on demand. 

Anyway, they follow around quite a few players who were looking to move last summer. One player was Fabian Ruiz of Napoli. Ruiz decided he was not going to sign a new contract. Napoli immediately told him to find a move elsewhere. He wasnt training with the first team and Spalletti came out in a press conference and said this club is for players who want to be here. Ruiz obviously signed for PSG - quite a reasonable fee for him around £21m. However, Napoli added to their squad and are currently sat top of Serie A. By no means have they gone out and spent £60m to replace him. 

It got me thinking. Not only have are we incredibly nice to players who either dont want to sign a contract or openly admit they want to leave, we make them captain. Youri Tielemans should've been out of this club two transfer windows ago. If he thinks he can get a move to one of the big six, get his agent to make the deal happen. If not, tell him to get whatever deal he can but he needs to leave. He is now seeing through his contract. Sometimes he shows up. Sometimes he doesnt but generally we are officially a stop gap until he signs for his real club. 

Sometimes that arrogant approach has longer term benefits for the football club. We are so nice in what we do, we'll always be a push over. 

I can’t help but think this is the way were going to have to go in the future. After all this is a football club/business not a charity.

If players don’t want to sign another contract when they get to the two year left period, tell them to get there agents to get them moves and stop them training with the first team.

I think its a case of commitment like the Napoli boss said, you either want to be here or you don’t.

This in-between “I like it here but I’m looking for something better” doesn’t help anyone.

It’s one thing to be 100% committed to the club and consider other options if they come along and another to be playing and actively looking for a move.

Most people who watch every game would say, of all the problems we've got at the moment, commitment is a major one. Other teams seem so much more “up for it” and “want it more”, than we do.

I wonder if having players training with the squad week in week out, who don’t 100 percent want to be here, has had an effect?

I’m sure people will jump on this and say we can’t do it, but what have we gained in keeping these players around?

What have we lost in keeping them here? Their values have dropped and we’ll get nothing for most of them. We've paid huge wages for hardly any game time when a fee could have got a replacement in who wanted to be here and got them bedded in and on less wages.

While we cant just get rid of player we don't want we can certainly make the options of them staying less attractive.

Just another thought, has anyone, signing a contract kept them at Leicester? Fofana had only just signed another contract and left months later. It just meant we got a reasonable fee for him. In my opinion he did the right thing by the club.

Does running your contract down prolong your time at the club? Do other teams just wait knowing you get cheaper as time goes by? It’s no secret both Teilemans and Soyuncu contracts are coming to an end, both have been looking for moves in what seems like years, both still here.

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This is definitely one of things we should never had done. 

I also agree with you that it isnt an easy situation. I do believe our players, Soyuncu, Tielemans and maybe even Ndidi believe that they are better than they actually are. The situation of Soyuncu and Tielemans highlight that. Tielemans has effectively made himself available for two years and while a "bigger" club would be willing to add him to the squad, they are perfectly happy to wait and risk losing him in a bidding war when he is free. 

We;ve been lucky at this club in recent times to have seen genuine world class talent. Mahrez, Kante, Prime Vardy (I dont care what anyone says), Fofana (waits to be hit) all fall within that catergory for me. I dont think we have one player who falls within that category right now. Our most influential, effective player is Maddison. Dropping/isolating him would (as we can see right now) have a detrimental effect on our progress. 

I would've treated him just like Soyuncu and with a world cup coming up he wouldve been forced to take some sort of move last summer. Where he goes ? I couldnt care less. However, that would've meant we could've recouped something and had a replacement. all ifs and maybes I know.  

I find it hard to get too annoyed with players running down their contracts.  We gave them a contract for a period of time and as long as they don't down tools then they're honouring the contract they agreed which appears to be the case with Youri.  Soyuncu may be different if he's not working hard enough in training etc.

I agree with all the previous posters that we should not be giving the captain's armband to a player that has made it clear his future is elsewhere.  The captain should be a player that epitomises the give everything for Leicester, team ethic, and a player who is counting down to his next move is not that character.

5 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I can’t help but think this is the way were going to have to go in the future. After all this is a football club/business not a charity.

If players don’t want to sign another contract when they get to the two year left period, tell them to get there agents to get them moves and stop them training with the first team.

I think its a case of commitment like the Napoli boss said, you either want to be here or you don’t.

This in-between “I like it here but I’m looking for something better” doesn’t help anyone.

It’s one thing to be 100% committed to the club and consider other options if they come along and another to be playing and actively looking for a move.

Most people who watch every game would say, of all the problems we've got at the moment, commitment is a major one. Other teams seem so much more “up for it” and “want it more”, than we do.

I wonder if having players training with the squad week in week out, who don’t 100 percent want to be here, has had an effect?

I’m sure people will jump on this and say we can’t do it, but what have we gained in keeping these players around?

What have we lost in keeping them here? Their values have dropped and we’ll get nothing for most of them. We've paid huge wages for hardly any game time when a fee could have got a replacement in who wanted to be here and got them bedded in and on less wages.

While we cant just get rid of player we don't want we can certainly make the options of them staying less attractive.

Just another thought, has anyone, signing a contract kept them at Leicester? Fofana had only just signed another contract and left months later. It just meant we got a reasonable fee for him. In my opinion he did the right thing by the club.

Does running your contract down prolong your time at the club? Do other teams just wait knowing you get cheaper as time goes by? It’s no secret both Teilemans and Soyuncu contracts are coming to an end, both have been looking for moves in what seems like years, both still here.

Mahrez was here much longer than he wanted because we wouldn't accept bids for him while he was under contract.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2023 at 11:09, desertfox2 said:

Agreed but it makes no sense whatsoever for Rodgers to have him as captain with one foot out the door already and us in a relegation battle. To me it just sends the wrong message. Everyone knows he's going and we are probably getting nothing for him so at least put someone in as Captain that will be with us a while.

Spot on. We could do with a reset with the new players coming in until the end of the season. My preference would be Faes simply due to consistency in playing games. And he makes less errors than amartey.

Unfortunately Rodgers doesn't like change.

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

Like Soyuncu? 

This, sent the whole dressing room the wrong message.

Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Everyone criticising Youri is in for a rude awakening to see how we play when he leaves....

Yep. We're losing a quality player. I have been a big critic of his, I've always said I don't think he's good enough for a big club in this Country, but most of our good stuff goes through him. I can't see us getting a midfielder of his level when he leaves.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

This, sent the whole dressing room the wrong message.

I cant stand it when people come up with hyperthetical ideas from absolutely nothing. You have no idea what conversations are had in trainiing or the influence he has in the changing room. Hes under contract at LCFC so he has the right to claim the title as captain, this boy won you a trophy dont forget.

3 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Everyone criticising Youri is in for a rude awakening to see how we play when he leaves....

Whilst we will be losing a quality player I am alarmed at the drop in performance from a physical perspective from Tielemans over the past 18 months. I actually think if we can replace him with a player whos got a bit more running power we'll actually be better off. 

Tielemans isn't fit, strong or fast enough for a top team and even if one takes a gamble on him on a free he'll be sent out on loan within 6 months. Realistically with the draw backs he has we are as good as he'll ever get in terms of being a starting regular. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I’m a fan of YT (who wouldn’t be after what he’s done here), but maybe we could buy a replacement who actually tackles. You can have good vision and also commit to challenges!