Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

Just now, JimJams said:

Conversely that's also a good reason that if he should stay he's not going to be phoning in the performances.

Agree, and this is related to a point I tried to make yesterday, specifically that should he not get a move, he should put in good performances for the year remaining to ensure he gets the best clubs possible paying attention to him as a free signing option. I believe clubs will be more inclined to sign him should he demomnstrate that level of effort and commitment in the final year of his contract.

11 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Agree, and this is related to a point I tried to make yesterday, specifically that should he not get a move, he should put in good performances for the year remaining to ensure he gets the best clubs possible paying attention to him as a free signing option. I believe clubs will be more inclined to sign him should he demomnstrate that level of effort and commitment in the final year of his contract.

That is true , even if he comes without a fee , any club is going to look for their money's worth if they are paying out a signing on fee and 7 to 8 million quid a year.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Would it suit us to offer him a new contract with a poor release clause and probably a pay raise? I don’t think it would, I’m also not sure what he did last season to warrant this hence the reason he probably isn’t getting the interest from the teams he thinks should be in for him.

It improves our chance of getting £30m for him when currently I would say he looks odds on to leave for nowt.

10 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

It improves our chance of getting £30m for him when currently I would say he looks odds on to leave for nowt.

You could argue that it also increases the chances of squad unrest and a player on a high contract as well though.

I don’t think he is due to leave for nothing at all, I suspect that ultimately if he doesn’t get further interest he will go to Arsenal late in the window for a similar price you mention.

Even though its early days the lack of clubs queuing up to sign him when its well known he's available cheaply is worrying. A lot of our business hinges on selling and at the minute we don’t hold enough sway with our potential outgoings to make it work, for Tielemans and Soyuncu its on their terms as they have a year left, for the others they are so bad we’ll have to beg people to take them. 

Not a good start to a ‘major rebuild’. 

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

I'm pretty sure people would sign him based on his obvious talent regardless of how he plays next season (in this mad hypothetical world where he runs down his contract and we don't sell him).

But 2 seasons of below par Youri is going to make the " people " of big clubs have doubts. 

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Mad to think that not a single CL club is interested in him. 

Suspect it’s not that no CL team would have him, more that none who would pay (at least) what he is on now have come forward.

• Like 1

Honestly, if I'm Youri I'm considering extending with some sort of sensible release clause being included.

Arsenal won't get anywhere near UCL football next season, they had the chance last season with everyone else having a busy midweek schedule and ****ed it. They're extending the likes of Elneny and giving players like Nkethia 100k/ week 5 year contracts. Retaining a mediocre 23 yr old striker on silly money instead of going all out for an actual talent doesn't exactly scream ambition to me.

Sign a 1+1 extension or something that contains a release clause of like 30m should a UCL club come for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

We didn’t give a sh1t that Evans was awful in his last year at West Brom, likewise clubs will know that he’s a top player regardless of whether he phones it in this year. Bigger concern is whether he has the physicality to play in a top midfield which I suspect is the biggest limiting factor here 

• Like 3

What if he's worried about getting an injury next season it will be even worse than this season as he will be out of contract.

If a player is looking to move he is never putting 100% into his game in case he catches an injury. 

So yea we might get a good half a season out of him but that's ya lot, like I said you might as well play with 10 men.

The thing is he is what 24 years old? Based on last seasons performance why would a CL club come in for him now and pay £25m-£30 for an underperforming player? They may as well wait for a year and see if his performance has increased and if it has get him on a free.  

14 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Man City bid £60m and Man United paid £80m for Harry Maguire after a fair season and people think that clubs in the Champions League wouldn’t take Youri Tielemans on a free transfer? 

But he’s not on a free is he. Nobody in the CL is going to pay £30 mill for him. He’s not that good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, theessexfox said:

We didn’t give a sh1t that Evans was awful in his last year at West Brom, likewise clubs will know that he’s a top player regardless of whether he phones it in this year. Bigger concern is whether he has the physicality to play in a top midfield which I suspect is the biggest limiting factor here 

The point about Evans is a good one. :thumbup:

9 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

The thing is he is what 24 years old? Based on last seasons performance why would a CL club come in for him now and pay £25m-£30 for an underperforming player? They may as well wait for a year and see if his performance has increased and if it has get him on a free.  

Quite simply because £25-30m is nothing to them rather than have to battle many clubs when he's on a free transfer and pay a bigger salary and massive signing on fee that makes the previous years total outlay not much cheaper.

He'd be a very useful squad player for many clubs but whether that would be what Tielemans envisages is debatable. I think he probably pictured demand being very high from him because his form was up there with the best so maybe a move to a club like Arsenal ticks the boxes. 

Bigger wages, prestigious club who will make a challenge for the top 4 but not guaranteed to get it but he'll be a key player.

This situation is getting annoying now. I think what is evident is that he hasn’t got the offers which he thought he would have from established, European heavyweights. Hardly surprising with his performances this season though.

I reckon he is still holding out though, whilst these are early days in the window, I reckon that it’s quite likely that somebody decent will come in for him. This makes for a dangerous dynamic for us though. My main concern is that somebody will pick him up from the market close to the end and we will have little time to replace him.

The sensible solution would be to get a replacement as clearly, clubs will know that we will have money in the bank should be leave. But, the issue is that I don’t think we have the money for a big player (especially with it not being a guarantee that Tielemans leaves).

I am pretty sure that I have said this before on this thread but we need to offer him some form of ultimatum. Simply, he either needs to sign a contract, most likely with a realistic release clause or we may have to just somewhat hound him out. 

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

7 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

This situation is getting annoying now. I think what is evident is that he hasn’t got the offers which he thought he would have from established, European heavyweights. Hardly surprising with his performances this season though.

I reckon he is still holding out though, whilst these are early days in the window, I reckon that it’s quite likely that somebody decent will come in for him. This makes for a dangerous dynamic for us though. My main concern is that somebody will pick him up from the market close to the end and we will have little time to replace him.

The sensible solution would be to get a replacement as clearly, clubs will know that we will have money in the bank should be leave. But, the issue is that I don’t think we have the money for a big player (especially with it not being a guarantee that Tielemans leaves).

I am pretty sure that I have said this before on this thread but we need to offer him some form of ultimatum. Simply, he either needs to sign a contract, most likely with a realistic release clause or we may have to just somewhat hound him out. 

What like, rendition him? Be serious, this whole hard ball, acting tough nonsense would never ever work, you just upset the whole mood across the club and risk alienating any future signings. People keep saying this like he should be delighted to be have given the chance to play for this club, but this isn`t his club, he needed to get over the Monaco debacle, we gave him that chance and in return he gave us some good years, but now he wants to play CL, so we have to wait for someone to arrive who will pay a decent sum and where he is wiling to go.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 2

Also love how passionate fans get about players who may leave and football clubs being inactive for transfers less than a month after the season is finished. 

The majority of footballers are still on international duty combined with staff taking a break with their families. 

• Like 2