Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

50 minutes ago, davieG said:

Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans has admitted that he could be on the move this summer and may have hinted that his destination could be Old Trafford.

Manchester United have long been admirers of the talented Belgian and are looking for reinforcements in the midfield area, having lost Paul Pogba and Nemanja Matic, whose contracts are about to expire.

Back in 2013 when still at Anderlecht, Tielemans revealed that United is his “dream club”.

And there have been persistent reports linking him with a move to Old Trafford since 2019, when he was reported to be lined up as a replacement for the outgoing Ander Herrera.

Arsenal think they will sign Youri Tielemans from Leicester this summer, and want it done by the end of the month.

90Min report that the only remaining issue is the size of the transfer fee that the Gunners pay for a player who is going into the final 12 months of his contract.

They say that Arsenal are now the favourites for the ‘outstanding‘ Belgium international, and that the player himself wants to make the move.

And with transfer rumours hanging in the air, the Belgian has made it clear no decision has been made just yet.

“That [a move] is not out of the question. But I can also stay,” he said during international duty, via the Express.

“I feel very good at Leicester, I was welcomed with open arms from day one. I give everything for the club until the last day.

“But of course you have to listen to other opportunities, you have to look at your career, and sometimes you have to make choices. Maybe one will come my way.”

Tielemans has been with Leicester since 2019, initially spending time with the club on loan, ahead of joining permanently.

Since then, he has racked up 120 Premier League appearances in all, playing a key role in the club’s FA Cup-winning campaign last year.

If this is true then we should hopefully get £30m + for him.  They will not both bid the same and leave to chance him going to the other team. I imagine there will be one or two others sniffing around if they do not get there priority tagets before too long also.  We will have a number of bids for him this summer.

Anything over £30m at this stage will be a bonus.

3 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Or when he's not played to exhaustion, or Ndidi is in the team and he doesn't have to play in a double pivot..?

Not having a go at you at all @kristianity77 but the view of too many on here that Tielemans 'couldn't be bothered' last season is sheer nonsense. He was consistently decent, occasionally excellent, until Wilf's injury despite playing twice a week every week. Like many, he was running on fumes for much of the second half of the season, and played out of position.

He remains, for me, one of the best CM's I've seen play for the club and a true contender for a place in an all time XI.

Louder for the people in the back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

What like, rendition him? Be serious, this whole hard ball, acting tough nonsense would never ever work, you just upset the whole mood across the club and risk alienating any future signings. People keep saying this like he should be delighted to be have given the chance to play for this club, but this isn`t his club, he needed to get over the Monaco debacle, we gave him that chance and in return he gave us some good years, but now he wants to play CL, so we have to wait for someone to arrive who will pay a decent sum and where he is wiling to go.

He has indeed given us some great performances in return, but we can’t rewrite history. We saved him as that Monaco move went horribly wrong for him. This time last year, I reckon he probably would have the interest from the ‘elite’ clubs but clearly it was too early, this season his performances have not done enough. He also needs to remember that he isn’t the only player who is good in his particular role, look at Gallagher / Neves - there are other players out there who have had better seasons.

As I’ve almost said above, I only reckon he will get his dream move through a last minute offer. My main concern is that it leaves us in a tough predicament as firstly, we don’t have the money to sign a replacement now and secondly, we may have not time to replace such a key player. 

Of course, as you rightly say, the ultimatum doesn’t really work in practice but there comes a point where we have to protect our interests. Yes, he has been great for us but this doesn’t change the fact that we need to protect ourselves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Being a major part of us getting to the Final and then scoring the goal (a stunner at that) to win us the one major domestic trophy the club has NEVER won, for me, makes him a legend.

This. That goal will be forever written in our folklore and Tielemans will be spoken about amongst Leicester fans for generations to come. That surely achieves legend status.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

He has indeed given us some great performances in return, but we can’t rewrite history. We saved him as that Monaco move went horribly wrong for him. This time last year, I reckon he probably would have the interest from the ‘elite’ clubs but clearly it was too early, this season his performances have not done enough. He also needs to remember that he isn’t the only player who is good in his particular role, look at Gallagher / Neves - there are other players out there who have had better seasons.

As I’ve almost said above, I only reckon he will get his dream move through a last minute offer. My main concern is that it leaves us in a tough predicament as firstly, we don’t have the money to sign a replacement now and secondly, we may have not time to replace such a key player. 

Of course, as you rightly say, the ultimatum doesn’t really work in practice but there comes a point where we have to protect our interests. Yes, he has been great for us but this doesn’t change the fact that we need to protect ourselves.

Agree with pretty much everything you say, it is difficult and it is us and not him that could be left without a seat, which is far from ideal. I romantically think he likes and appreciates us as a club and would "do right by us" if he possibly can, but  the way player contracts are working of later does not fill me with hope in general.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

He scored a spectacular FA Cup winner on a level with Gerrard and Ricky Villa.  That's legend in its own right

....that word is thrown about a lot in football and it seems it doesn't take a lot to have it attributed to players now!!!

A long time of service used to be the criteria, as opposed to one off moments.

Youri will always be remembered in our history for that goal, it will be played over and over again, but classing him as a legend, is rightly, an undervaluation of the term.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Agree with pretty much everything you say, it is difficult and it is us and not him that could be left without a seat, which is far from ideal. I romantically think he likes and appreciates us as a club and would "do right by us" if he possibly can, but  the way player contracts are working of later does not fill me with hope in general.

Yeah, the feeling that he is holding out for as long as possible to force his ideal move makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. I do think he is both a professional and a very respectful person, but it isn’t always about the player. External actors, e.g agents often have a large say and can often influence moves which makes me uncomfortable.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

57 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

FFS

The guy is a legend, he's not had a great season, doesn't mean that will continue.

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I'd hardly call him a legend, you'd have to have a very low bar for legendary status.

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

He scored a spectacular FA Cup winner on a level with Gerrard and Ricky Villa.  That's legend in its own right

I don't think Youri is a legend yet. How he leaves us (or commits to stay) will determine that, I think.

For example:

Vardy

Legend for what he's done for us and his loyalty to us.

Kaspar

See above.

Kanté

Legend for what he was for us, which could have been undermined by his wanting to leave so sooner. However, his attitude towards us (and attendance of some of our games) has been exemplary. So, Legend.

Mahrez

Legend for what he was for us, but lost that status (and for most of us, respect for him) due to forcing a move and then talking down about us. Still a great player for us.

Maguire

Not a legend, as he didn't really do anything of note or connect with the fanbase. Him deleting all Leicester-related content from his socials erased any chance anyway. A good player for us, nonetheless.

Chilwell

Not a legend, sadly. He could have been, despite the mixed feelings about him. Him deleting all Leicester-related content from his socials erased any chance anyway.

Youri's story is still being written. By the end of this summer, we should have a better understanding of what that looks like. I think for me, if he leaves on good terms, and retains acknowledgement that he played for us, that FA Cup Goal and his behaviour will grant him Legend status.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Fairly simple for me, if you're part of the squad that won either the PL or FA Cup then you're a legend.

As a club we don't have a great history of cup/title wins, when you the highest two in the country you're a legend.

I think every player in the first XI of the PL winning squad has to go down as a legend, really. Such a monumental achievement in sport. Will likely never be beaten.

Not sure the same goes for the FA Cup in my book, but I wouldn't argue against Youri being regarded a legend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox in the North said:

Considering he scored THE goal to win the FA cup (and what a bloody beautiful goal it was), and irrelevant of the drop off, has been part of a highly successful league period for us, I don’t understand how he can’t be a legend.

Seems that, for many, only those who played 200 plus games (and won nowt) during the period 1910-1979 can be a legend.

Kante doesn't count because although he won the PL he chose to leave and join Chelsea.

Mahrez doesn't count because although he won the PL and entertained wondefully with his sublime skills for a few seasons he had the audacity to want to further his career.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The cup run includes one of the greatest individual performances I’ve seen from a LCFC player too, the QF at home to Man U. He ran the game, got the decisive goal as well

Any city fan knows what Tielemans brings. For all his pluses he does have negatives, and I would say that the negatives ought to be crucial for a UCL club that he wants to play for. 

As a general point i think over time it will become inevitable that Arteta (if he goes there) will become irritated with Tielemans tracking back and stamina. He will also have issues like we do with him where he passes either too many balls astray, or passes back towards the D/keeper where an opponent is waiting. 

Tielamns isn't great under pressure. He's good at releasing the ball under pressure but not when he is being pressured. Those are my cons, far outweighed by the pros of course! 

• Like 2

If Arteta and his staff aren't aware of Tielemans shortcomings then they aren't doing their job correctly. Not sure there's a problem with stamina, he puts in the yards and plays almost every game. The problem for a club with a better squad than ours is that, as we know, if you drop hime for a couple of weeks it takes him time to get back up to speed.

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

Fairly simple for me, if you're part of the squad that won either the PL or FA Cup (especially if you scored the winning goal) then you're a legend.

As a club we don't have a great history of cup/title wins, when you help win the highest two in the country you're a legend.

I do see your point and other people's, just not for me that's all. The Premier league title is over a long hard season, the FA Cup can be a little bit luck of the draw and in our case a bit of fortune perhaps on a particular day in a one off match.

It was indeed an absolute cracker of a goal and a special moment however. Sometimes legendary status for me needs a bit of longevity but not always. Sometimes like Vardy, Marhez, Kante and Albrighton, it can be achieved in one special season. Tielemans scored a cracking goal and indeed has contributed a few more for the cause but for me, I think some people view him through blue tinted glasses. He has had a few very good games and can be a very good player but just for me, nothing quite that special. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I do see your point and other people's, just not for me that's all. The Premier league title is over a long hard season, the FA Cup can be a little bit luck of the draw and in our case a bit of fortune perhaps on a particular day in a one off match.

It was indeed an absolute cracker of a goal and a special moment however. Sometimes legendary status for me needs a bit of longevity but not always. Sometimes like Vardy, Marhez, Kante and Albrighton, it can be achieved in one special season. Tielemans scored a cracking goal and indeed has contributed a few more for the cause but for me, I think some people view him through blue tinted glasses. He has had a few very good games and can be a very good player but just for me, nothing quite that special. 

He doesn't have to be that 'special', five attempts, one win and he scored the winning goal, for me that is legendary status. imo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

The more prospective buyers who read the comments in this forum, and they will, the less likely they are to come in for him . Unless he is dirt cheap of course. The comments firstly by the Monaco fans and now by Foxestalk will not go unnoticed.

They really won't.   Or rather, any business deciding whether to spend many millions of pounds that lets it's decision be remotely swayed or influenced by the chunterings of fans on a fan forum is a basket case.  

• Like 3