Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

5 hours ago, CloudFox said:

I don't think Youri is a legend yet. How he leaves us (or commits to stay) will determine that, I think.

For example:

Vardy

Legend for what he's done for us and his loyalty to us.

Kaspar

See above.

Kanté

Legend for what he was for us, which could have been undermined by his wanting to leave so sooner. However, his attitude towards us (and attendance of some of our games) has been exemplary. So, Legend.

Mahrez

Legend for what he was for us, but lost that status (and for most of us, respect for him) due to forcing a move and then talking down about us. Still a great player for us.

Maguire

Not a legend, as he didn't really do anything of note or connect with the fanbase. Him deleting all Leicester-related content from his socials erased any chance anyway. A good player for us, nonetheless.

Chilwell

Not a legend, sadly. He could have been, despite the mixed feelings about him. Him deleting all Leicester-related content from his socials erased any chance anyway.

Youri's story is still being written. By the end of this summer, we should have a better understanding of what that looks like. I think for me, if he leaves on good terms, and retains acknowledgement that he played for us, that FA Cup Goal and his behaviour will grant him Legend status.

My idea of a footballer who can be classed as a legend is

1. Loyalty and longevity a player who has be consistent over season on season over a period of time.

2. A player who shows exemplary respect for the club and its fans.

3. A player who leads from the front and sets a positive example to others both on and off the field.

For me only Kasper and Vards fit the above. The rest have just passed through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wokinghamfox said:

1. Loyalty and longevity a player who has be consistent over season on season over a period of time.

3. A player who leads from the front and sets a positive example to others both on and off the field.

An interesting definition.  I think the idea of a club legend is far more amorphous and really depends on so many variables that it's actually indefinable.

For example would Best(or indeed many other players) have fitted within category three.  I personally don't really care what players do off the field within reason.

All of that said, what about Albrighton? 

Edited by Bordersfox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

You seriously believe that after scouting a player, numerous times, having your analytics team do the numbers, confirming that the player is the right fit for the team personality wise that it may all come to nothing because a few gobby idiots (that includes me) have slated a player on a fans chat page?

You are Father Dougal and I claim my five pounds ;)

I assume we did all of that and ended up with the dynamic duo from Southampton. Should have listened to the gobby Saint's fans.

1 hour ago, wokinghamfox said:

It’s eye of the beholder stuff to be honest, some will value integrity, others records or many different defining characteristics or achievements. No one size fits all for everyone, best almost to say favourites.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Fairly simple for me, if you're part of the squad that won either the PL or FA Cup (especially if you scored the winning goal) then you're a legend.

As a club we don't have a great history of cup/title wins, when you help win the biggest two in the country you're a legend.

I understand your logic, but what that suggests is that players like Nathan Dyer, Mark Schwarzer, Gökhan Inler, Danny Ward and Ayoze Perez are Legends in your eyes. Are they? No disrespect to any of them, but that just doesn't feel right to me.

I think it has to be more than winning trophies for me. We may not have many, but trophies aren't really why I support this team, or the players who play for our club.

3 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

Considering he scored THE goal to win the FA cup (and what a bloody beautiful goal it was), and irrelevant of the drop off, has been part of a highly successful league period for us, I don’t understand how he can’t be a legend.

I think he can be, but he isn't yet. If he leaves this summer, deletes any mention of us on socials like Maguire and Chilwell, and either pretends we don't exist or talks us down, would you really class him as a legend?

For what it's worth, I don't think he will do that. As a result I think he will be a Legend, and that goal will go down in folklore.

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

I think he can be, but he isn't yet. If he leaves this summer, deletes any mention of us on socials like Maguire and Chilwell, and either pretends we don't exist or talks us down, would you really class him as a legend?

For what it's worth, I don't think he will do that. As a result I think he will be a Legend, and that goal will go down in folklore.

When did Maguire ever do that? Ive seen him post numerous fox and blue love heart emojis on LCFC posts since hes left

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

I wouldn’t read too much into the socials stuff. Most players social medias are handled by companies these days and they definitely cater towards the fans of the bigger clubs for more interactions, likes or views etc. 

His FA cup final goal was legendary.

He’s not a legend for me. I’m more frustrated with how poor he was last season and now we’re going to have to let him go on the cheap. I can see him going for around £25m.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, wokinghamfox said:

[Stares in Marc Albrighton...]  :mad:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wokinghamfox said:

Big Wes? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

When did Maguire ever do that? Ive seen him post numerous fox and blue love heart emojis on LCFC posts since hes left

How odd, I swear he had. I must have collated him and Chilwell.

Apologies, I've got that completely wrong with Maguire.

A club legend for me is:

- First, Someone who excites the fans with performances. Doesn't matter if that's being a hard man, goalscorer, playmaker or superset.

- They then need to compound their talent by showing they love the club or share common ground with the fans, above and beyond what's expected or merely badge kissing.

- They then also need to have been seen to sacrifice another opportunity in order  to  continue their career with leicester.  This separates stars from legends at a specific club.

For me, in the modern era, this means: Walsh, Elliot, Heskey, Izzet, Kasper, Wes, Vardy, 

Players like Joachim, Lennon, Kante, Mahrez missed out on the love and sacrifice aspect whereas players like Albrighton, Savage, Guppy miss out on the exciting talent and sacrificing other opportunities aspects.

10 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Call me old fashioned but "Deleting things on socials" should not come into any discussion on players standing within a club ever. 

To clarify: I got it wrong on Maguire.

And it's not about the deletion, per se, it's what it represents: trying to pretend to the outside world that you didn't play for us is quite disrespectful, IMHO.

32 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

A club legend for me is:

- First, Someone who excites the fans with performances. Doesn't matter if that's being a hard man, goalscorer, playmaker or superset.

- They then need to compound their talent by showing they love the club or share common ground with the fans, above and beyond what's expected or merely badge kissing.

- They then also need to have been seen to sacrifice another opportunity in order  to  continue their career with leicester.  This separates stars from legends at a specific club.

For me, in the modern era, this means: Walsh, Elliot, Heskey, Izzet, Kasper, Wes, Vardy, 

Players like Joachim, Lennon, Kante, Mahrez missed out on the love and sacrifice aspect whereas players like Albrighton, Savage, Guppy miss out on the exciting talent and sacrificing other opportunities aspects.

I was excited every time guppy crossed the ball.....

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

How odd, I swear he had. I must have collated him and Chilwell.

Apologies, I've got that completely wrong with Maguire.

Yeah Chilwell and Kante did but im pretty sure most accounts are run by their management anyway, dont think its personal

• Like 1