Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

You may well be right - I haven't seen enough of him to judge. I was just arguing that Sly's suggestion that Alves' development will be hindered if Tielemans stays doesn't make much sense.

...he was actually using Alves as an example, as opposed to a like for like replacement!!!

The gist was, Tielemans was taking up a space that prevented the progress of an academy player. 

I do not believe any of our upcoming academy protégé are ready as yet, and depending on how Rodgers wishes to play this upcoming season, we might not have to replace him, should we look to bring Maddison deeper, with someone such as Piroe further forward.

18 minutes ago, Dames said:

This translates to they are going to try and do it on the cheap. Going to be a long summer.

Yeah, I'd tempted to **** the bait off. Arsenal been 'working on a deal' now since end of the season. Could do with get some hammed up interest to push them. Rudkin make it happen. 

Oddly though you understand Arsenal's position but I don't think it presents well. Appears to be this summer and particular with top six a feeling about 'getting your work done early'. Spurs have pushed that. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

I'm wondering if it's best to try and get him signed onto a new contract and let him have a 40 million release clause for champions league teams.

The absolute worst case scenario is that he goes into the new season still playing for us with his contract set to end in 2023.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

I'm wondering if it's best to try and get him signed onto a new contract and let him have a 40 million release clause for champions league teams.

The absolute worst case scenario is that he goes into the new season still playing for us with his contract set to end in 2023.

Maybe he has already agreed to join someone after next season for free.

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he was actually using Alves as an example, as opposed to a like for like replacement!!!

The gist was, Tielemans was taking up a space that prevented the progress of an academy player. 

I do not believe any of our upcoming academy protégé are ready as yet, and depending on how Rodgers wishes to play this upcoming season, we might not have to replace him, should we look to bring Maddison deeper, with someone such as Piroe further forward.

That still doesn't make any sense as Alves will be in the development squad anyway. If Tielemans stays it won't have any impact on Alves' eligibility to play.

Anyway...it seems very much like Arsenal are going to try to push as hard as possible to get Tielemans on the cheap. This obviously doesn't suit us as that won't give us enough funds for a replacement. So it looks like we're going to get one of those tedious, drawn-out transfer sagas that drags on until the end of the window. Oh joy...:(

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

....any team looking for Champions league are not going to guarantee him game time!!!

Arsenal may be desperate and naive enough to do so. Looking around Europe it would have to be a league where a team is dominant, PSG, BMG, AC Milan or Real Madrid.  They have the quality and also players in place, they don't need him, money then becomes a problem for the lesser teams in those leagues so the salaries are not going to be competitive. 

The likelihood is that we turn out to be his best option, whether we like it or not.

23 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah, I'd tempted to **** the bait off. Arsenal been 'working on a deal' now since end of the season. Could do with get some hammed up interest to push them. Rudkin make it happen. 

Oddly though you understand Arsenal's position but I don't think it presents well. Appears to be this summer and particular with top six a feeling about 'getting your work done early'. Spurs have pushed that. 

Thinking about it is that another angle could be that they haven't quite got Youri or his agent convinced. You hear it so many times in modern football that personal terms are agreed way in advance of an official bid. 

24 minutes ago, Dames said:

Thinking about it is that another angle could be that they haven't quite got Youri or his agent convinced. You hear it so many times in modern football that personal terms are agreed way in advance of an official bid. 

Teams will rarely put in an official bid unless they know it’s going to be accepted at some point. (The initial low ball offer may be rejected but there is a deal to be done ). These days clubs know via agents whether a club will sell a player and for how much 

• Like 1

As we have shown in the pass we can be a pretty tough to negotiators when selling.

I suspect Youri's and Arsenal representative have already agreed personal terms and it a case of haggling over the price and maybe a little doubt in Youri mind over them not getting CL.

I imagine we want a all up front fee whilst Arsenal will want included performance clauses. 

Edited by coolhandfox

I've said it before but there's realistically only 1 club that he could've gone to which would make me dislike the guy, and that's Arsenal. 

Wouldn't mind him going to any other decent PL side. As per a lot of other people, I just want him gone if he's gonna go. Stop dicking about and lets move on

• Like 1

Obviously we have been excellent at getting good money for our big players. Do you think this is the first time a player not signing a contract has screwed us?  (Since back in prem) Looks like he will go for 25 mill and we will take a loss on him somehow. Granted he was not great last season but I also believe that is because the bar was set so high. Not many players, especially in cm are always available. In todays market 25mill is an absolute steal for a player like him (F*** arsenal) We all know how good he can be. 

We sell Youri, we spend what we get on somebody who is not as good , is everybody happy? The "I wish we still had Youri" posts will follow as sure as night follows day. If you ask me the basic problem appears to be the club are reluctant to make him our top earner. In the end its always about money.

35 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I’d be seriously disappointed in/for him if this happens. He deserves better than ****ing Arsenal

Who look to be doing a fine job of rebuilding their squad this summer…

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We sell Youri, we spend what we get on somebody who is not as good , is everybody happy? The "I wish we still had Youri" posts will follow as sure as night follows day. If you ask me the basic problem appears to be the club are reluctant to make him our top earner. In the end its always about money.

Thats wrong. He wants European football. Why is this so hard to grasp?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Money is clearly Not the issue here I really do wish you’d stop banging on about finances like you know exactly what’s going on in that department lol he wants to be playing for a club that matches up with his aspirations and as much as us fans like to think we should be challenging for top 6/4 our need to sell before we buy will see us unable to challenge the big hitters on a consistent basis, I mean look at the money the usual top 6 are supposedly lobbing about this off-season I imagine the norm with the usual top 6 will start to creep away yet again

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thats wrong. He wants European football. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Maybe I'm mercenary but in a short career money trumps everything else. Playing a few matches in the Europa Cup is OK but its not money in the bank.

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Maybe I'm mercenary but in a short career money trumps everything else. Playing a few matches in the Europa Cup is OK but its not money in the bank.

EVERY pro footballer has money in the bank unless they are morons, accolades is where it is at.

• Like 2