Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Some club rocks up in the final week of the window and puts 20m on the table for Youri - what do you do?

Keep him. 20 mil is nothing really. One season of a good Youri Tielemans (which is not guaranteed I know) is worth more than 20 mil. 

• Like 3

Just now, bovril said:

Keep him. 20 mil is nothing really. One season of a good Youri Tielemans (which is not guaranteed I know) is worth more than 20 mil. 

20m might be the difference between a Tete and a Dan James, difficult I know, but not cut and dried for me.

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

£20m is not nothing. We’re not spending anything til we get any money in. I think it’s not sinking in to some people that we just don’t have the transfer kitty we had 2 years ago anymore.

No another season is not worth more than £20m. Being worth more than £20m would likely mean the difference between finishing in the CL and not which is extremely unlikely. 

No one wants him gone in an ideal world where he’s either playing his best or we get a £50m bid for him, but that’s obviously not the case and it’s going to be far harder replacing him next summer for nothing than this summer for £20m and I think the club know that. And if he’s going and needs to be replaced it’s much better to do it this summer for £20m then kicking the can down the road and then being really screwed when  we’re trying to find a replacement for nothing next summer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

£20m is not nothing. We’re not spending anything til we get any money in. I think it’s not sinking in to some people that we just don’t have the transfer kitty we had 2 years ago anymore.

No another season is not worth more than £20m. Being worth more than £20m would likely mean the difference between finishing in the CL and not which is extremely unlikely. 

No one wants him gone in an ideal world where he’s either playing his best or we get a £50m bid for him, but that’s obviously not the case and it’s going to be far harder replacing him next summer for nothing than this summer for £20m and I think the club know that. And if he’s going and needs to be replaced it’s much better to do it this summer for £20m then kicking the can down the road and then being really screwed when  we’re trying to find a replacement for nothing next summer.

You mean the season we had a net spend of like £5m? Jesus, we must be skint!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scotch said:

You mean the season we had a net spend of like £5m? Jesus, we must be skint!

Haha fair enough, perhaps that was a bad example. More I guess that we were spending before we sold Chilwell. Feel like we’re not planning on doing that this summer. Tielemans’ replacement + the right winger is probably going to be for however much we bring in for the players we sell. And outside of Tielemans we really don’t seem to be getting any interest in anyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

Haha fair enough, perhaps that was a bad example. More I guess that we were spending before we sold Chilwell. Feel like we’re not planning on doing that this summer. Tielemans’ replacement + the right winger is probably going to be for however much we bring in for the players we sell. And outside of Tielemans we really don’t seem to be getting any interest in anyone.

A Tielemans replacement plus a proper experienced wide right man would cost us around about £70 million. An inferior replacement plus an apprentice wide man would be around £30 million. That's the choice we have.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

A Tielemans replacement plus a proper experienced wide right man would cost us around about £70 million. An inferior replacement plus an apprentice wide man would be around £30 million. That's the choice we have.

Exactly. Or Bertrand-level replacements will cost us nothing next summer.

Edited by Sampson

19 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Call me a naive football romantic but the 'worth' of a player is more to me than just how much we can flog him for, or how much his presence may contribute to potential CL football. We've seen how good he can be, I'd rather we kept our good players as long as we can even if it means the balance sheet isn't as good as it could be.

I realise that would make me a pretty bad football club owner. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

I think it’s time to introduce some from of cap on how much a club can spend each season on transfers. The top 6 think nothing of spending £70 million plus on a player, how can the smaller clubs possibly compete, it is very unfair.

That genie escaped the bottle when jack Walker rocked up at Blackburn. And before that, it was always the same few clubs that spent most of the money. Although forest and newcastle both broke the British transfer record, when United actually wanted a player, they usually got them.  

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Not really any worse than many other players. Either way, being toxic towards a player clearly struggling with confidence and disregarding his achievements during his time at us is a bit bizarre.

No he has been worse than other players.

Which other player cost us a goal in the quarters, gave away 5 penalties and didn't contribute a goal or an assist for half a season? He's one of our top players, and by his standards that's dreadful. In that time the team improved and he was still shit.

Some people don't watch our games clearly, there's nothing toxic about this but we need to move him on as his lack of physicality is a big problem for us when he stops contributing going forward.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Hence my comment that top would refuse to sanction a sale. 

I agree. I'd actually rather lose on a free in a year and buy ourselves more time to eye up a replacement than take that. If we took that it would signal absolute desperation.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I agree. I'd actually rather lose on a free in a year and buy ourselves more time to eye up a replacement than take that. If we took that it would signal absolute desperation.

If a buyer is serious then they will pay the £25m we’ve asked. They may try and low ball us (Bayern started off at 11m for mane ) but no way will youri’s team have negotiated personal terms unless they were confident  the buying club would come up with the dosh if necessary. Of course that could mean youri getting a less attractive s/o fee but that would test how badly he wants to leave. 

Do we need a replacement ? 

i think back end of the season little papy was excellent and kdh is kicking on very very well as a more attacking midfielder so depending on who we play either of those could be rotated with ndidi  for a more defensive or attack minded midfield alongside maddison. We also have utility man dan who can fill a defensive midfield role.