Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

If Rodgers had the courage to take the captaincy from Schmeichel and give it to Youri and the club raise his pay to the £8 million he should be on , I think he would sign at least a three year contract. I am pretty sure as captain his consistency levels would improve as well.

I really doubt it would make a difference. I doubt he would care so much about being made captain (a largely pointless title) that he’d stop wanting European football anymore.

57 minutes ago, nathan. said:

We wont miss him nearly as much as people think.

Hes been bang average for a long time.

And that is what is frustrating - We all know what a brilliant player he 'can' be, but as you say, I'd say average would be a complement for some of his performances. 

Ideally,  he'll sign an extension and re find his form, but I am extremely doubtful. 

19 minutes ago, Bptiger said:

Rubbish , he wants a bigger club 

Here we go again, we are a big club, in the top 15 in the world. There are perhaps eight giant clubs and Youri is not going to any of them. Our stadium is our major limitation and that needs sorting double quick. I am sure Youri doesn't think he plays for a small club.

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

I really doubt it would make a difference. I doubt he would care so much about being made captain (a largely pointless title) that he’d stop wanting European football anymore.

It perhaps would motivate him to drive us on to achieve that next season. He could tolerate a one year gap I should think.

2 hours ago, ronnup said:

And if he waits he will be 26, and then a massive contract is about 5 years, taking him to 31...

Your point ?

My point is at 25, it’ll not be his last massive contract. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

It perhaps would motivate him to drive us on to achieve that next season. He could tolerate a one year gap I should think.

Think you’re attaching a fan’s eye view to the title of captain here. I highly doubt a pretty meaningless title would suddenly motivate him to want to stay here over someone like Arsenal with European football.

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

This saga has probably got a lot more legs on it ..  I’m nervous now he will leave at the last minute and our plans to spend the money will be shafted. Then ..  there’ll be the usual  “but x hasn’t gone so that’s like having a new player!” bolox to try and make us feel a bit better ..  :(

If the reports are true and he will not make his decision until September when he discovers if any club is interested, in my mind it shows a complete lack of respect for LCFC. He wants to leave give him an ultimatum, other wise all the targets we have in mind will have been snapped up by other clubs by Sept.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Think you’re attaching a fan’s eye view to the title of captain here. I highly doubt a pretty meaningless title would suddenly motivate him to want to stay here over someone like Arsenal with European football.

I am believer that strong captaincy is vital to a successful team. Henderson has been very important to Liverpool. Fernandinho and De Brunye have pushed Man.City to the top by leadership as well as skill. Youri has captained Belgium and his role in our team is ideally suited to captaincy.

• Like 2

Guest nathan.
7 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

And that is what is frustrating - We all know what a brilliant player he 'can' be, but as you say, I'd say average would be a complement for some of his performances. 

Ideally,  he'll sign an extension and re find his form, but I am extremely doubtful. 

I dont think its a form issue.

His head has been turned and its subconsciously effecting his performance.

Its best for both player and club that he moves on.

7 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I am believer that strong captaincy is vital to a successful team. Henderson has been very important to Liverpool. Fernandinho and De Brunye have pushed Man.City to the top by leadership as well as skill. Youri has captained Belgium and his role in our team is ideally suited to captaincy.

And they didn’t need to wear an armband to show that leadership, tgey we’re great leaders anyway. Were they crap leaders before they were the club captain then suddenly became big leaders once they wrapped a piece of cloth round their arm? Was De Bruyne a crap leader when Kompany was captaining, or did he still have the same voice?

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

If Rodgers had the courage to take the captaincy from Schmeichel and give it to Youri and the club raise his pay to the £8 million he should be on , I think he would sign at least a three year contract. I am pretty sure as captain his consistency levels would improve as well.

Worked against Forest

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sampson said:

And they didn’t need to wear an armband to show that leadership, tgey we’re great leaders anyway. Were they crap leaders before they were the club captain then suddenly became big leaders once they wrapped a piece of cloth round their arm? Was De Bruyne a crap leader when Kompany was captaining, or did he still have the same voice?

Our title winning team had 6 captains: Schmeichel, Morgan, Huth, fuchs, drinkwater and, in his own way, Vards

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Not saying he's not a good player. On his day. It just depends if he turns up or not.

And in terms of who's better than him there's plenty of players out there that whilst they're not better than him might suit us better. Someone that runs 12km a game, tackles and wins headers might suit us better if it allows us to free up maddison and sign a right winger.

I just think you’re being a bit naive. As I’ve said above, I just can’t see us replacing him in the 20m region with a player who ‘suits us more.’ I also just do not understand the view that he doesn’t fit either. He was our key player during peak form and from all our central midfielders, YT is the only one who both constantly stays fit and actually looks to move the ball forward. 

I really do believe that even out of form, we will struggle to find a replacement for him. Look at when we lost Mahrez, our fans thought that we would easily replace him, but over four years on, we haven’t filled the gap. It’s very much a case of being careful what you wish for here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

If the reports are true and he will not make his decision until September when he discovers if any club is interested, in my mind it shows a complete lack of respect for LCFC. He wants to leave give him an ultimatum, other wise all the targets we have in mind will have been snapped up by other clubs by Sept.

What ultimatum are we able to give him that benefits us?

35 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

Yep ..  possible mess on the horizon ...

"Been told Youri Tielemans is not considering to sign a contract extension with Leicester now - could be an option in September in case he doesn't leave, but not now," the reliable transfer expert tweeted.      (Mr Romano).

You can’t believe what is said in media and social media word verbatim. Unless any of us have sat down and had a heart to heart with Youri none of us will know what’s going on.

He is well within his rights to wait to sign a deal, why would he tie himself up on a new contract when he wants to go? 

He mentions his family a lot, perhaps his family aren’t happy living in Leicester/shire. So he has to consider all options. We don’t know what’s going on in his personal life, he’s not showing a lack of respect to the club  he’s considering his best options. I don’t know why some fans get so emotional about players wanting to leave, I’m sure any of us switching jobs we wouldn’t overly care about the company, but more about ourselves. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

I just think you’re being a bit naive. As I’ve said above, I just can’t see us replacing him in the 20m region with a player who ‘suits us more.’ I also just do not understand the view that he doesn’t fit either. He was our key player during peak form and from all our central midfielders, YT is the only one who both constantly stays fit and actually looks to move the ball forward. 

I really do believe that even out of form, we will struggle to find a replacement for him. Look at when we lost Mahrez, our fans thought that we would easily replace him, but over four years on, we haven’t filled the gap. It’s very much a case of being careful what you wish for here.

Are you quite sure about that? I can’t recall anybody thinking Mahrez would be easily replaced. Quite the opposite - most knew he was irreplaceable.

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

Are you quite sure about that? I can’t recall anybody thinking Mahrez would be easily replaced. Quite the opposite - most knew he was irreplaceable.

Maybe I am misinterpreting views but it got a bit toxic. He clearly didn’t want to be there in 17/18 and I do remember many were happy to see him go.

1 hour ago, Bptiger said:

Rubbish , he wants a bigger club 

....I really do not believe he could handle being at a big club!!!

Going by the information (posted on here recently) in regards to his agent's portfolio, I would say Youri calls all the shots and dictates the deals offered to him.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
20 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Since mahrez left we've finished higher than any season he was here. Bar the title win.

Hes the exact example I'd draw to demonstrate the point. Maddison and Ricardo aren't better than mahrez but we signed both and became better by being more balanced.

That's not naive at all.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

It is all very disappointing how our relationship with Youri appears to be turning out.

Living on the coast, a lot of my mates are Brighton fans and they appreciate what Bissouma did for them but felt he downed tools since Christmas - it happens yet we’re definitely acting as if Youri is a rotten apple at times. 

I’m with some other posters that think we’re naive if think replacing him with a player for 20m will be an obvious upgrade.

Soumare cost what 18m but let’s face it, isn’t made for the Prem - be careful what we wish for.

Edited by SafewayFox

59 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

...his position maybe, but not him, he lacks the skill to motivate people around him and fails to show when desperately needed!!!

15 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Me neither.

The whole 'look at what happened to Mahrez' as an indicator of what will happen if we lose Youri is shonky bollocks anyway. It ignores the fact that nearly every other player we've sold shows that such irreplacability is super rare. I'd also argue that a lot of the difficulty in replacing Mahrez is down to the position he played in i.e. there are more quality midfielders than right wingers. 

There was no version of Mahrez I wanted to lose, but no one can tell me the Youri of last season is 'irreplaceable', or that he's guaranteed to be better if he stays