Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whitlock

Youri Tielemans

23 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Since mahrez left we've finished higher than any season he was here. Bar the title win.

Hes the exact example I'd draw to demonstrate the point. Maddison and Ricardo aren't better than mahrez but we signed both and became better by being more balanced.

That's not naive at all.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you here as you raise a fair point. The sale of Mahrez freed funds up to make the additions like you’ve suggested. But this isn’t about Mahrez.

The sale of Mahrez gave us a net gain of around 65m, Tielemans will give us a net loss of around 15m. Do you understand the difference? This wouldn’t be a sale that would allow us to make two or three additions, my point is that it would allow us to make one small signing who probably wouldn’t be better than Tielemans anyway.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you here as you raise a fair point. The sale of Mahrez freed funds up to make the additions like you’ve suggested. But, this isn’t about Mahrez.

The sale of Mahrez gave us a net gain of around 65m, Tielemans will give us a net loss of around 15m. Do you understand the difference? This wouldn’t be a sale that would allow us to make two or three additions, my point is that it would allow us to make one small signing who probably wouldn’t be better than Tielemans.

You buy and sell in the same market. Values are lower this summer so its not that relevant and our issue is wages rather than actual spend so the loss isn't really that relevant and that's if you believe the figures being quoted which are coming from his agent.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

17 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Maybe I am misinterpreting views but it got a bit toxic. He clearly didn’t want to be there in 17/18 and I do remember many were happy to see him go.

....that is true, many were happy to see him go, but we really have not applied ourselves as a club to resolve to fill his position!!!

Diabate  - £1.8m

Ghezzal - £12m

Perez    - £30m (never a RW)

Under    - Loan

Lookman - Loan

None of these would command a £20m price, (yes I know we paid £30m for Perez, but that was an aberration from our current manager) we have given little thought to filling this role.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

You buy and sell in the same market. Values are lower this summer so its not that relevant and our issue is wages rather than actual spend so the loss isn't really that relevant and that's if you believe the figures being quoted which are coming from his agent.

If you are suggesting that values are lower this summer due to Covid then I think you’d be surprised. Look at the increase in revenue for PL clubs, spending will ready new levels, imo. 

Clearly wages are an issue for us, but still, we are cash strapped. Look at teams around us, e.g, Villa, they are financially sounder than us. We can’t just throw money around and immediately find a natural replacement.

Not sure about your last point regarding agents either. Obviously, fees quoted will contain some accuracies but my point is that the sale of Tielemans wouldn’t free up money to make the additions that the Mahrez sale did.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....that is true, many were happy to see him go, but we really have not applied ourselves as a club to resolve to fill his position!!!

Diabate  - £1.8m

Ghezzal - £12m

Perez    - £30m (never a RW)

Under    - Loan

Lookman - Loan

None of these would command a £20m price, (yes I know we paid £30m for Perez, but that was an aberration from our current manager) we have given little thought to filling this role.

This is my point, we haven’t even got close. The lack of output from wingers has also been a massive downfall for us in the past few seasons. 

It is fair to say that the players we have sold have had little impact on us, but I think Tielemans is different.

The damage that his departure would cause would be closer to Mahrez / Kante than Maguire / Drinkwater.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
17 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

If you are suggesting that values are lower this summer due to Covid then I think you’d be surprised. Look at the increase in revenue for PL clubs, spending will ready new levels, imo. 

Clearly wages are an issue for us, but still, we are cash strapped. Look at teams around us, e.g, Villa, they are financially sounder than us. We can’t just throw money around and immediately find a natural replacement.

Not sure about your last point regarding agents either. Obviously, fees quoted will contain some accuracies but my point is that the sale of Tielemans wouldn’t free up money to make the additions that the Mahrez sale did.

Mane went for 34m

Bissouma 25m

Haaland 60m

You can double all these values a year ago. It's like people bemoaning taking a loss on a house and then buying one of the same value. Auoar is available for 12m - he was touted at 60m a few years ago. It's not worth getting in a flap about. Naive much?

Villas wage spend is less than ours currently hence they can spend more. The reason we're challenged is that we pay players well and push the revenue to wages ratio hard. Other sides are starting to copy that.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

Guest Chocolate Teapot
9 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

This is my point, we haven’t even got close. The lack of output from wingers has also been a massive downfall for us in the past few seasons. 

It is fair to say that the players we have sold have had little impact on us, but I think Tielemans is different.

The damage that his departure would cause would be closer to Mahrez / Kante than Maguire / Drinkwater.

That massive downfall that's caused us to finish 5th, 5th and 8th.

53 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Since mahrez left we've finished higher than any season he was here. Bar the title win.

Hes the exact example I'd draw to demonstrate the point. Maddison and Ricardo aren't better than mahrez but we signed both and became better by being more balanced.

That's not naive at all.

Maddidon plays a different role and in my mind is a) more of a team player, and b) equally as talented as mahrez.

5 hours ago, dbtcity said:

I genuinely can’t believe we have fans that are happy for him to go… then again we had fans happy to see the back of Mahrez as he didn’t track back lol, I know he had a bit of a hit and miss season (can’t think of a player that didn’t) but he’s still a superb player

Did you go many games last season?, his poor performances vastly outweighed the decent ones.

I think the lack of interest this summer will have been an eye opener. He more than likely coasted through last season thinking he was going to have a lot of interest in him this summer but unfortunately its not turned out that way for him.

I’m not slating his professionalism or effort but when you’ve decided you’re leaving subconsciously you’re going to phone it in a bit because that long term commitment isnt there. I think after this summer there will be a recalibration, if he signs a new deal we’ll see a completely different player next season. 

Which means it’ll end up even more disappointing when he goes for cheap next summer after a barnstorming season. 

1 hour ago, Ian S said:

Did you go many games last season?, his poor performances vastly outweighed the decent ones.

1 hour ago, Ian S said:

That I did being a season ticket holder I had to watch the awful Team Performances most weeks….

Edited by dbtcity

50 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

he's not top 4 level thats probably why they aren't going in for him. if they did come in for him he'd be a bench player

I think his lack of athleticism may be a turnoff to the big clubs. Having Wilf next to him covers up quite a bit in terms of his shortcomings. Without Wilf he seemed to me to be a tad more exposed.

• Like 2

Is he still here? 
we need to sell him. Not worry about a contract extension. 

I love Youri for what he has done for Leicester and that FA cup goal will always be in our memories but he doesn’t want to be here. 
His performance showed that last season that his heads been turned. Any club puts in a serious offer for him then he’s gone. 
Trouble is no one has put that offer in as he didn’t have a good season to show his quality. 

If he signs a one year extension then we just have the same as last season of him not giving his all and then we have the same problem next summer and waiting till September to see what happens is showing total lack of respect for LCFC. 

if he wanted the move he so desires he should have played out of his skin last season to put himself in the shop window but a bang average if not worse season then no champions league club is going to come in for him and Arsenal will only sign him if they get him cheap. 

41 minutes ago, JimJams said:

At Arsenal he'd have Partey at Spurs, Bissouma. Don't think it'd matter about any perceived lack of athleticism.

This. He would get into a lot of sides that also have a good defensive minded player playing next to him.

43 minutes ago, Buggsteam said:

Is he still here? 
we need to sell him. Not worry about a contract extension. 

I love Youri for what he has done for Leicester and that FA cup goal will always be in our memories but he doesn’t want to be here. 
His performance showed that last season that his heads been turned. Any club puts in a serious offer for him then he’s gone. 
Trouble is no one has put that offer in as he didn’t have a good season to show his quality. 

If he signs a one year extension then we just have the same as last season of him not giving his all and then we have the same problem next summer and waiting till September to see what happens is showing total lack of respect for LCFC. 

if he wanted the move he so desires he should have played out of his skin last season to put himself in the shop window but a bang average if not worse season then no champions league club is going to come in for him and Arsenal will only sign him if they get him cheap. 

His drop in standards could also be q result of the fact that he never gets a rest! He's been played into the ground the last few years both at club level and Internationally. I've very rarely got the impression that he's downed tools for us but plenty disagree 

• Like 3