Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ademola Lookman

2 hours ago, davieG said:

BBC

Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers hopes to make 24-year-old winger Ademola Lookman's loan move from RB Leipzig permanent. 

(Leicester Mercury)

Leicester City consider summer transfer for winger who 'has everything'
The wide man on loan from RB Leipzig has made a good contribution so far, scoring against Manchester City and Liverpool in his past two Premier League appearances

COMMENTS
ByJordan Blackwell
11:47, 13 JAN 2022

Leicester City loan winger Ademola Lookman “has everything” and is being considered for a permanent transfer ahead of the summer.

The 24-year-old has made an excellent contribution since arriving from Bundesliga side RB Leipzig on a season-long deal.

He has produced match-winning performances in recent outings, scoring the only goal in the 1-0 victory over Liverpool and then leading the line in the absence of the club’s three strikers in the FA Cup success against Watford, setting up goals for James Maddison and Harvey Barnes.

With the second half of the season upon City and preparations for the summer transfer window already under way, manager Brendan Rodgers has said the club are weighing up a permanent deal for the 24-year-old.

LOOKMAN WOULD BE SMART DEAL – EVEN IF ANOTHER NEW WINGER IS SIGNED
“He’s a player I’ve loved working with and he’s improving and developing all of the time,” Rodgers said. “I can see the improvement in his personality.

“He has everything, he’s quick, he’s two-footed, he presses the game well, he’s a great dribbler, he’s scoring, he’s creating goals.

“He’s shown he can play anywhere across the frontline, he’s played off the right side, he’s played off the left, he played in a central role.

“He’s just a fantastic football player who still has so much development to make. I’ve been delighted with his contribution. And moving into the second half of the season, that (a permanent deal) will be something we will sit down and look at.”

City are the fifth club of Lookman’s professional career – after Charlton, Everton, Leipzig, and Fulham – with the winger yet to reach 50 appearances for any of them.

Finding somewhere to settle down will help him reach his potential, Rodgers has said, while City are also working on raising his self-belief to the levels of his talent.

Rodgers said: “What we said to him when he came in, because he’s a humble guy and a really quiet guy, it’s just about developing his personality to play at the very highest level.

“Sometimes to play in the Premier League, you need that arrogance. Every top player I’ve known has had that arrogance, self-confidence, and that self-esteem. Just because you have talent, it doesn’t always give you that. So that needs nurturing and developing.

“If you look at Ademola, he wasn’t in any academies, he came through late into Charlton, and then he’s in the first team very quickly. He went to Everton, it’s not quite worked out for him there, he’s been on the move.

“He’s a boy now in his early 20s that probably needs to find a home. I felt we could bring him in here, where our culture is about coaching and development. We felt we could bring that personality up to the level of his talent. That’s time and work and confidence, and he’s showing he’s developing really well.”

what’s this?  Rodgers bringing out the flair in someone?

:ph34r:

I know this is against forum rules but if we sign him... do we actually need another winger? Goals and creativity havent been our weakness at all. I know it will be a boring summer not going for any attacking players but our money is needed for youris replacement and new contracts. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

For £15m this is a no brainer, peanuts in EPL terms and there is a lot of scope for development and already a productive member of the squad.

People would rather spend £40m on a ‘Trincao’ than £15m on a ‘lookman’ and look at how much hes contributed to wolves. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Depends on the price surely . If the reports of Leipzig £20 mill + asking price then I’d say no . Anything around 10-12 mill would buy a good squad addition who seems to have fitted right in here 

...I would suggest that is the price we pay for taking someone on a loan!!!

If they play well it increases the price and we are £5 -10m out of pocket. I  would have said his price would have been £10m tops when he came here and unless we have an option to buy, at that price, we do risk being a showcase for him and his parent club.

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Hands up if you had faith in him from the start, didn't write him off after a couple of games and were willing to give him time to settle in and show us how good he can be 🙋🏾‍♂️ :D

And yes, I am in that 'told you so' mood.... 

I was really pleased we signed him. I honestly watched loads of Fulham matches when he was with them as his contribution always seemed to make them really entertaining games. 

• Like 1

...he seems to have the right attitude, always trying to create, great work rate and a willingness to beat a man!!!

For the positions he finds himself, there was not a lot of end product and it appears that it will be something he will have to seek to overcome. His assists figure should be unreal, he takes up such great positions and it is an instinctive move but goals and assists are not what they should be.

The switch to his better position, on the left, may just open the floodgates to where I feel he should  be, but at this moment those numbers should be climbing exponentially, he does get into and is involved in most of the good things we do upfront. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Hands up if you had faith in him from the start, didn't write him off after a couple of games and were willing to give him time to settle in and show us how good he can be 🙋🏾‍♂️ :D

And yes, I am in that 'told you so' mood.... 

I've actually gone the other way. 

I was initially cautiously optimistic, thought he'd be worth a punt. I was very impressed with his first few showings, thought we had a steal. 

Then he went off the boil for a bit. 

He's had a couple of great moments but he's also gone missing a bit. I'd like to see him play consistently for a few weeks in a 4231/433 with a strong team out and us looking collectively confident. 

It's been really hard to judge anyone this year because of how generally poor the group mentality has been throughout the squad. 

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

For £15m this is a no brainer, peanuts in EPL terms and there is a lot of scope for development and already a productive member of the squad.

I remember when we smashed our transfer record to pay something approaching that amount for Ulloa!

🎵 Oh he cost effing peanuts, but he supports Leicester like me 🎵 

Doesn’t have the same ring does it?

Edited by Wolfox
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I remember when we smashed our transfer record to pay something approaching that amount for Ulloa!

🎵 Oh he cost effing peanuts, but he supports Leicester like me 🎵 

Doesn’t have the same ring does it?

Ulloa was about £8m, wasn't he?

Was really underwhelmed when we signed him but have to admit i think hes been class the majority of the time hes been here. Definitely alot quicker and skilful then i ever though, absolute no brainer for 15 million although id still like to see a quality left footed right winger come in on top. 

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Was really underwhelmed when we signed him but have to admit i think hes been class the majority of the time hes been here. Definitely alot quicker and skilful then i ever though, absolute no brainer for 15 million although id still like to see a quality left footed right winger come in on top. 

Totally agree with you here. It’s a steal when you think about aswell because he’s still young and he will get a lot better imo! Can play anywhere across the front 3. He’s been unlucky especially with VAR, Brighton + Leeds.