Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ademola Lookman

People need to remember that a players transfer fee is account for over the length of a player contract

For example when Harry Maguire signed for Manchester United in summer 2019 for £80 million on a six year deal this works out as an annual amortisation cost of £13.3 million (£80m/6) in their accounts. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
25 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If you ask me this is us trying to get a reduction on that fee 

I think there's a lot of this going on currently.

Haaland and Countingo going relatively cheap means there's less money flowing about.

52 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

People need to remember that a players transfer fee is account for over the length of a player contract

For example when Harry Maguire signed for Manchester United in summer 2019 for £80 million on a six year deal this works out as an annual amortisation cost of £13.3 million (£80m/6) in their accounts. 

Yes that is how most transfers work however the 80m Maguire fee was unusual in that we demanded the full fee upfront.

35 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

Yes that is how most transfers work however the 80m Maguire fee was unusual in that we demanded the full fee upfront.

True, but how Man U paid us and how the accounted for in their accounts are two different things 

Even thou they paid us in a one off lump sum, for accounting purposes, the cost would have been spread over 6 years of his contract in Man Utd financial accounts 

When a player is purchased, his cost is capitalised on the balance sheet and is written-down (amortised) over the length of his contract.

Likewise if Man U decide to give Maguire a new contact after 3 years, there will be 40m of the original transfer on their balance sheet. If they give him a new 4 year contact they can amortise the remaining 40m over the length of his new contract at 10m a year rather then 13.33m per year of the old contact.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Lack of European TV money and everything that comes with that. 

We can't surely be budgeting for European football every year though, that is financial suicide.

That makes it sounds like with have to sell Youri, Cags etc, just to break even. 

I'm sure our business savey owners wouldn't be allow us to operate in such a fashion that is completely unsustainable?

8 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

...much the same as depreciation!!!

So does that mean the stated £90m is partly accruals?

If we can afford it without having to cut corners on other transfer targets its a no brainer tbh. I'd imagine after his performances this season there would be other prem clubs who'd happily snap him up for £14m

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...much the same as depreciation!!!

So does that mean the stated £90m is partly accruals?

Not sure about it being an accrual, I'm no football financial expert, just what I've pick up from reading Swish Rambles blogs/twitter 

• Like 1

Although Lookman is a decent player I'd be looking to spend the money elsewhere. We need players that will be in the starting line up and not back up. Lookman isn't good enough to be a regular starter if we are aiming top 6.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walshy5 said:

Although Lookman is a decent player I'd be looking to spend the money elsewhere. We need players that will be in the starting line up and not back up. Lookman isn't good enough to be a regular starter if we are aiming top 6.

We'd have to buy two, his comments about challenging Barnes on the left seem to suggest he knows that. We aren't going to be able to afford to starting wingers, so one on the right and a backup who is fairly decent is alright. 

I like him, for a first season with us, he's done well on the goals and assists point of view. But he offers something a bit different and has been great as an impact sub at times too

• Like 2