Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ademola Lookman

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine the last line of the article is what is happening - we are going to try and see if we can get him for less than the buy clause (or try a Torino and get him on loan for another year with an obligation to buy)

http://sportwitness.co.uk/leicester-yet-make-enquiries-keep-player-rodgers-fan-no-firm-move-summer-deal/

Leicester yet to make any ‘enquiries’ to keep player – Rodgers a fan but no firm move for summer deal

Leicester City are yet to make a move to sign Ademola Lookman permanently from RB Leipzig this summer.

That’s according to Sky Sports German journalist Phillipp Hinze, who says there have been no ‘enquiries’ for the forward as yet.

Lookman spent this past season on loan with Leicester after a spell with Fulham last year, in which he impressed and earned himself admirers.

He featured regularly for the Foxes throughout the campaign, with 42 appearances, eight goals and five assists in all competitions, a more than decent return.

All indications had been that Leicester would look to make the move a permanent one, with Brendan Rodgers’ side holding an option to buy on the loan deal, which expires at the end of next month.

Indeed, Rodgers himself had hinted he would be keen, stating, “He’s a young player that I like very much, and he has developed very well during his time here.”

However, it seems Leicester are yet to make any sort of move, with Hinze reporting that while there are ‘interested parties’ for Lookman, there have not been any enquiries as yet.

He doesn’t divulge why that would be the case, and it does seem strange for Leicester to have not moved quickly if they are keen.

Perhaps they are biding their time and hoping to renegotiate with Leipzig, something we tend to see quite often with pre-arranged options to buy.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said no brainer on Lookman.  Think if he can settle somewhere we'll see him be more consistent. At times for Fulham a couple of seasons ago he looked really exciting in a very poor team and despite our patchy form has done fine here.  For the money being touted sign him up and see if we can get the best out of him.

• Like 2

If the club drag their heels on lookman we will regret it. The kid is exceptional professionally & personally. Did all he was asked to and more. He will get even better but under the circumstances deserves the chance to join us permanently. Out of the deals supposedly being looked at this is the one sure thing. Cmon Rogers wrap this up so you can focus on the more tricky incomings.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

If the club drag their heels on lookman we will regret it. The kid is exceptional professionally & personally. Did all he was asked to and more. He will get even better but under the circumstances deserves the chance to join us permanently. Out of the deals supposedly being looked at this is the one sure thing. Cmon Rogers wrap this up so you can focus on the more tricky incomings.

I don’t know if it’s that black and white mate.

I sound like a broken record  on here but if it’s between Cornet and Lookman for a pretty similar outlay - it’s Cornet any day of the week for me.

Lookman doesn’t better the starting 11 but Cornet potentially could.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 23/05/2022 at 00:29, MPH said:

are you really going to object over a difference of 2m?

I would if it was my 2m because he's not worth it. He's cover and therefore not of great importance.

I'd sooner us spend the money on starters for the positions of most importance, we won't improve by merely buying more squad players. We should only be looking to bring him in if there's enough budget left at the end. He's a nice to have not a need to have.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I would if it was my 2m because he's not worth it. He's cover and therefore not of great importance.

I'd sooner us spend the money on starters for the positions of most importance, we won't improve by merely buying more squad players. We should only be looking to bring him in if there's enough budget left at the end. He's a nice to have not a need to have.

Thing is ,   if you want a wide forward with a good CV and not some raw kid with a fancy hairstyle, no brains and a YouTube video you are going to be looking at £30 million plus. Lookman is half of that. He has been better than Barnes on average and that is good enough for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzFOX said:

We desparately need a quality right sided player. Lookman is, what most of us said when we brought him in last season, a player that prefers and is better on the left. I'm wondering if we are trying to get our prime transfer targets in first, and then see if we have enough left over to bring Lookman in too. This would seem sensible to me at least, because although I liked what he had to offer, I felt it was only really on the left, and we already have Barnes on that side. Lookman offers something a little different to Barnes though, and I would have him as cover or as competition for Barnes, but for me, we have bigger priorities at the moment, and would get them in first, and see what money if any we have left for Lookman. 

Edited by smudger63

16 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

We desparately need a quality right sided player. Lookman is, what most of us said when we brought him in last season, a player that prefers and is better on the left. I'm wondering if we are trying to get our prime transfer targets in first, and then see if we have enough left over to bring Lookman in too. This would seem sensible to me at least, because although I liked what he had to offer, I felt it was only really on the left, and we already have Barnes on that side. Lookman offers something a little different to Barnes though, and I would have him as cover or as competition for Barnes, but for me, we have bigger priorities at the moment, and would get them in first, and see what money if any we have left for Lookman. 

This is an issue though. 

There is absolutely no point in paying big money for our first choice RWer then starting the season with only Albrighton as back up for both flanks. 

IMO, we need two wingers. The RW that you mentioned and back up for Barnes. Lookman or Cornet are probably the cheapest and best we could hope for. 

If we need to go a little further down the list of right wingers to make both happen then thats what we should be doing otherwise we are back to having to change formations whenever one player gets injured. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

he can play on either wing and can even slot in up front if needed.  So he’s versatile and Scored 8 goals this season. Not bad for a back up. To split hairs over 2 million would  be madness.

26 minutes ago, Scotch said:

This is an issue though. 

There is absolutely no point in paying big money for our first choice RWer then starting the season with only Albrighton as back up for both flanks. 

IMO, we need two wingers. The RW that you mentioned and back up for Barnes. Lookman or Cornet are probably the cheapest and best we could hope for. 

If we need to go a little further down the list of right wingers to make both happen then thats what we should be doing otherwise we are back to having to change formations whenever one player gets injured. 

I know what you're saying, but we've been going down the cheaper options on the right wing since mahrez left, and we've lacked any real quality. It all comes down to how much money we can spend. We need to bring in quality if we want to get back to competing for a europeon place, not just someone that will do because he is all we can afford, and that's going to cost. I agree with you that ideally we can bring in Cornet or Loookman as well, but let's make sure we have the priority positions covered first with some real quality, and then see what we have left in the money pot.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Thing is ,   if you want a wide forward with a good CV and not some raw kid with a fancy hairstyle, no brains and a YouTube video you are going to be looking at £30 million plus. Lookman is half of that. He has been better than Barnes on average and that is good enough for me.

...he (Lookman) works on the left and is ineffective on the right!!!

We need a RW to come in, let's stop trying to fudge filling the position. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he (Lookman) works on the left and is ineffective on the right!!!

We need a RW to come in, let's stop trying to fudge filling the position. 

I understand that but we will not do it on the cheap , it might even be a record signing. 

Paying £10 + million for him just isn't logical.

We all agree he's no better than a back-up, so why do people want to pay a pretty large percentage of our budget on a 'back up', who wasn't good enough in a poor season last year to play regularly?

You shouldn't buy 'back ups', you should buy young players with the potential to be first team players, that can offer back up in the mean time.

Like when Palace paid £8 million for Olise, or we paid a similar amount for Justin.

It's funny how I get slated for pretty much calling Albrighton 'crap'....Yet everyone is absolutely desperate to replace Marc, with pretty much anything.

23 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Paying £10 + million for him just isn't logical.

We all agree he's no better than a back-up, so why do people want to pay a pretty large percentage of our budget on a 'back up', who wasn't good enough in a poor season last year to play regularly?

You shouldn't buy 'back ups', you should buy young players with the potential to be first team players, that can offer back up in the mean time.

Like when Palace paid £8 million for Olise, or we paid a similar amount for Justin.

It's funny how I get slated for pretty much calling Albrighton 'crap'....Yet everyone is absolutely desperate to replace Marc, with pretty much anything.

We don't need potential in that position , we need the real, proven deal. As soon as a club quotes £40 million we run a mile.

26 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I understand that but we will not do it on the cheap , it might even be a record signing. 

.. it really doesn't have to be!!!

We could get one in for £20m or under, Tete would have worked if we could have bought him in from Shaktar. Giovani and there are other players mentioned on this forum, which are less than £30m.

• Like 1