Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ademola Lookman

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. it really doesn't have to be!!!

We could get one in for £20m or under, Tete would have worked if we could have bought him in from Shaktar. Giovani and there are other players mentioned on this forum, which are less than £30m.

You are very likely to get what you pay for or in the case of Sancho far less. Far too many on here think we are getting another Mahrez,  we are not. All other clubs who have potent wide men will see us coming and jack up the price. We are a high profile club now and will be expected to pay the going price.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The problem is we've gone right off unproven young players with potential, we'd rather look for perceived proven players in slightly older age brackets within an ever difficult price range given we don't have a huge amount of finances. I hope we see a change this summer but already some of our targets have gone elsewhere for very modest fees whilst we finger our garry's.

That lad from Hull, maybe the boy from Derby, these seemed like ‘old us’ signings. Slightly dismaying with our seeming direction of travel on transfers.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The problem is we've gone right off unproven young players with potential, we'd rather look for perceived proven players in slightly older age brackets within an ever difficult price range given we don't have a huge amount of finances. I hope we see a change this summer but already some of our targets have gone elsewhere for very modest fees whilst we finger our garry's.

Well, we bought Daka and Soumaré last summer. They are certainly not old. Potential doesn't help when you are losing matches. Supporters won't wait for potential to come good , they want results now.

7 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Well, we bought Daka and Soumaré last summer. They are certainly not old. Potential doesn't help when you are losing matches. Supporters won't wait for potential to come good , they want results now.

As I said, perceived proven players in a slightly older age category. I get the difficulty in recruiting PL ready players but we no longer have any flexibility to bring in vastly raw but talented 18-21 year old players and instead pay much more for players also not yet ready for the PL straight off the bat.

So many players transfer to one of rhe top 5 European leagues for under £15m and do well within a year and yet we're scrapping for £25-30m players when we don't have the finances to bring many in and the success eate has been no better.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

You are very likely to get what you pay for or in the case of Sancho far less. Far too many on here think we are getting another Mahrez,  we are not. All other clubs who have potent wide men will see us coming and jack up the price. We are a high profile club now and will be expected to pay the going price.

...at this moment we could pick up Madueke for £25m, Ebiowe  from Derby would be even less!!!

We are only looking for a RW, we are not looking for a Mahrez, we know these things do not happen twice.

I feel that nothing is going to convince you that we can solve that position with a worthwhile pick-up, that is not going to cost the earth.

Numerous posters who scout the leagues, are posting names and show reels of players who could fit into our journey. You just have to trust that the club know what its doing.

1 hour ago, LFox99 said:

try 30-35m, PSV were quoting around 40m Euros for him last time around and since then hes signed an extension

.. he needs a good season, next season!!!

He missed half of last season through a muscle injury with a return of 3 goals and 3 assits.

Let's see if he can come back up to speed, otherwise that price will just keep coming down.

9 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Thing is ,   if you want a wide forward with a good CV and not some raw kid with a fancy hairstyle, no brains and a YouTube video you are going to be looking at £30 million plus. Lookman is half of that. He has been better than Barnes on average and that is good enough for me.

But we need someone on the right as a priority not merely some cover or competition for Barnes on the left. Whilst the latter is a desirable, the former is more pressing. Lookman we know can't fulfil that role adequately. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MPH said:

he can play on either wing and can even slot in up front if needed.  So he’s versatile and Scored 8 goals this season. Not bad for a back up. To split hairs over 2 million would  be madness.

He was no better than Perez on the right, he clearly wasn't up to the task, he was really poor and even Brendan would openly bollock him. He was however very effective on the left and could cover a role up front as you say 'as back up'. We need a genuine starter on the right before another back up. A team of back ups or Jack's of all trades and masters of none equals failure I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

He was no better than Perez on the right, he clearly wasn't up to the task, he was really poor and even Brendan would openly bollock him. He was however very effective on the left and could cover a role up front as you say 'as back up'. We need a genuine starter on the right before another back up. A team of back ups or Jack's of all trades and masters of none equals failure I think.

Obviously we need a starting RW, preferably left footed, but you say all of this as if we've got plenty of cover for Barnes. Albrighton. That's literally it with Perez gone this summer. We desperately need someone who can 1. push Barnes when he is out of form 2. come into the side if Barnes needs rest or is injured without a noticeable drop in quality.

No clue at what point Brendan openly bollocked him. But whatever fits your agenda I guess

Edited by LFox99

4 hours ago, LFox99 said:

Obviously we need a starting RW, preferably left footed, but you say all of this as if we've got plenty of cover for Barnes. Albrighton. That's literally it with Perez gone this summer. We desperately need someone who can 1. push Barnes when he is out of form 2. come into the side if Barnes needs rest or is injured without a noticeable drop in quality.

No clue at what point Brendan openly bollocked him. But whatever fits your agenda I guess

He got bollocked twice in succession out on the right for miscontrolling the ball. I felt it was a bit harsh because he looked a bit uncomfortable/unnatural. On the second occasion he was particularly miffed and shouted something back. It was a home match towards the end of the season. Think he got substituted.

I just think that there'll only be so much money and although I rate him, on the left, we need to address priorities first.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LFox99 said:

...it is not an agenda where the poster is saying things that are hard to collaborate!!!

Rodgers has more than once given Lookman a verbal blasting, and Lookman on one occasion that I can remember, blanked him.

Rodgers has also given Barnes verbal volleys in games, at times he is not too keen, on what he sees with Barnes also.

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Absolute madness.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MPH said:

Absolute madness.

Neither fit the bill on the right imo that's all. Do you personally think Lookman is the answer to our problem on the right then? If so, fine, you're entitled to your opinion. It's just my personal view that he isn't and that position needs suitably addressing before spending on cover for the opposite side of the pitch that's all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

Is it though?

Lookman on the right was far from a world beater.

Was it Palace that he started there and he was so poor I genuinely missed Under (slight exaggeration for dramatic effect).

but that wasn’t the statement that was I responding to. It was the statement that he was no better than Perez on the right.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Neither fit the bill on the right imo that's all. Do you personally think Lookman is the answer to our problem on the right then? If so, fine, you're entitled to your opinion. It's just my personal view that he isn't and that position needs suitably addressing before spending on cover for the opposite side of the pitch that's all.

that has never been my point has it? It’s that we should sign him for his versatility and that I wouldn’t not sign him  over  a difference of 2m

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

Just now, MPH said:

but that wasn’t the statement that was I responding to. It was the statement that he was no better than Perez on the right.

Totally get that mate.

But the reality is, Lookman probably is par with Perez on the right if we’re being honest.

Adequate there at best.

1 hour ago, SafewayFox said:

Totally get that mate.

But the reality is, Lookman probably is par with Perez on the right if we’re being honest.

Adequate there at best.

I would say that on either flank Lookman is much better but centrally Perez gets the nod of course.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MPH said:

Perez was decent enough for us on the right in his first season, for our standard for RWs since Mahrez left anyway. Brought the best out of Ricardo and worked very hard off the ball.

• Like 3