Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ademola Lookman

Just now, Pliskin said:

I don’t mean value as in their qualities. I mean financially. We paid £15m for Vestegaard, so we will want as close to £15m back as can. 

We are just going to have to bite the bullet and accept that we have overpaid and just whatever money we can get even if it’s at loss just take it imo

I think it will get to the point that a club of a similar size to us will come in for Brendan and he'll walk. The 'rebuild' talk was a shot across the bow to the executives and they've gave him nothing.

Edited by Sharpe's Fox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The world is not a static place, the prices reflects the market. 

If we are getting screwed down on price for the likes of Praet, Tielemans we have to do the same when buying. 

Don't disagree but at the same time we can't play the skint card when we've already agreed a fee. 

I imagine it has to be approached in a way that, we think after having him for a season he's actually worth x and that they take it. 

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I think it will get to the point that a club of a similar size to us will come in for Brendan and he'll walk. The 'rebuild' talk was a shot across the bow to the executives and they've gave him nothing.

I absolutely agree with the rebuild comment. In my opinion it’s absolutely what he has done. He’s also lifted the pressure off himself a bit too, because he’s got his come back ready if things go tits up. 

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure what the basis you refer too is, and we clearly need some outs before in's can occur, both for budgetary reasons and for squad space, and getting players out is Rudkin

The whole thing is going to be holisitic I reckon, like

BR: "Jon, we need to raise some cash, can we ship out X, Y, Z and raise some cash over the Summer?"

JR: "Fec off Rodge, X, Y sure, but keep Z, we can ship out V and W though, and I reckon we can raise 30-40m, maybe more if we ship out that Belgian Arsenal fan"

BR "Top, JR says the rats will be gone and reckons we can even get nearly 50-60m if Youri goes too"

TOP: "Alright Rodge, Jon, so max spend of 80m as I will top it up 20m"

JR/BR/TOP engage in group hug and high fives

This may be based on a true events

It is on Rudkin, don't disagree with that. Maybe its all his cock up failing to shift people on that they've known for months that need shifting on but I still think even if its a sell to buy scenario talking of a rebuild repeatedly and publicly was a bit of a blunder. 

I don't actually think he's wrong for doing it, in my opinion he needed to do something to force the issue but the lack of movement this summer so far has made it frustrating as a fan. 

Just now, Dames said:

It is on Rudkin, don't disagree with that. Maybe its all his cock up failing to shift people on that they've known for months that need shifting on but I still think even if its a sell to buy scenario talking of a rebuild repeatedly and publicly was a bit of a blunder. 

I don't actually think he's wrong for doing it, in my opinion he needed to do something to force the issue but the lack of movement this summer so far has made it frustrating as a fan. 

Cannot disagree with any of that, so many possibilities, maybe we magically become unblocked from a transfer perspective but if so, when?  :dunno:

This always seemed a strange year for a rebuild, as with many older big earners contract ending next year, that felt more natural

Although I also saw the benefit of not doing it all at once due to the pure scale of the upheaval.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

Yes he will say whatever is necessary to keep his reputation intact. 

Part of it is that and part of it is also what me and others have said is that its publically putting the issue on the board to dip their hands in their pockets. They haven't and have stuck to their guns and here we are.

Nobody is in the wrong in this particular scenario but there have been cock ups from both the board and the manager in previous windows that have lead to this situation.

10 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Cannot disagree with any of that, so many possibilities, maybe we magically become unblocked from a transfer perspective but if so, when?  :dunno:

This always seemed a strange year for a rebuild, as with many older big earners contract ending next year, that felt more natural

Although I also saw the benefit of not doing it all at once due to the pure scale of the upheaval.

Yeah I always seen next summer as the more natural time for a bigger overhaul. This summer should have been about signing more unproven players with potential to integrate over the next year or two.

9 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Anyone wanna talk about Lookman? 

Would love for him to come, hopefully the club can save a few million but at the same time from last seasons peformances wouldn't complain if he was signed for 14 million. He'd definitely have some resale value compared to other signings made in this bracket.

I love how people seem to speak so certainly about Rodgers (especially in a negative way) without having any knowledge at all or proof of what they claim

Anyway with Lookman, the situation to me seems no different to what Torino are doing to us with Praet

The club don’t think the player is quite worth the buy clause value, so try and get him cheaper, you may be shocked to find out this is a pretty common thing in the world of football

• Like 4

Shouldn’t it be a collective blame game? 

Rodgers must have wanted the likes of Perez, Bertrand, Soumare & Vestergaard, don’t forget Vestergaard was clearly on our radar for over a year, signing him for £15 million wasn’t a panic buy. I guess the problem also lays at Congerton and the scouting teams door, that’s where the root of the problem clearly started.

Then the blame obviously moves to Rudkin who’s clearly had a mare when negotiating the above deals, banging certain players on underserved wages to the point where you’re struggling to shift them. 

For a club that often gets praised for its transfer dealings, we well and truly fvcked up last season and it’s biting us in the arse.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

I love how people seem to speak so certainly about Rodgers (especially in a negative way) without having any knowledge at all or proof of what they claim

Anyway with Lookman, the situation to me seems no different to what Torino are doing to us with Praet

The club don’t think the player is quite worth the buy clause value, so try and get him cheaper, you may be shocked to find out this is a pretty common thing in the world of football

I was going to say back to Lookman….he isn’t a priority and without repeating numerous other posts - our squad needs trimming so would we be happy if we added another squad filler (he isn’t better than our first choice LW in Barnes).

If we can finally trim some of the squad, free up wages then welcome back Lookman.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I mean there is plenty of proof of him talking about a rebuild and needing x amount of players during the summer. There is also the proof of the window being open a month and nothing happening or looking likely to happen in the next week or so. 

He wasn't wrong to state it publicly by the way, he had to force the issue. It just A) doesn't stop him looking stupid and B) leaves the fans feeling frustrated. 

56 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

and you seriously think he said this without the clubs approval?

Do you think Liverpool and Celtic gave him their approval to constantly moan about a lack of support around transfers. He's very clever at the things he says and I've no problem with that, as a motivator and leader of the 1st team you need to be able to try and influence things but it doesn't always work out that way.

• Like 1

Just now, coolhandfox said:

I think people think stuff is easier than it is.

Everyone plays a bit of FM and thinks it's easy. 

Hey, I like FM and never once cheated and made a new manager for them just to spunk £50m on my squad fillers.

Are you saying that isn’t possible in real life?

I’ve had enough internet (home truths) for today 😜

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Do you think Liverpool and Celtic gave him their approval to constantly moan about a lack of support around transfers. He's very clever at the things he says and I've no problem with that, as a motivator and leader of the 1st team you need to be able to try and influence things but it doesn't always work out that way.

I think its a middle ground, I do not believe no conversations take place and would think fairly clear discussions about transfer plans take place internally, the extent to which they are communicated by the manager to the press is down to them though. Either way, the managerial staff to whom Brendan reports must be not angry by his statements or anyone of them could have set him straight publicly.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

I think its a middle ground, I do not believe no conversations take place and would think fairly clear discussions about transfer plans take place internally, the extent to which they are communicated by the manager to the press is down to them though. Either way, the managerial staff to whom Brendan reports must be not angry by his statements or anyone of them could have set him straight publicly.

I must admit it has crossed my mind how it could be so starkly different but I do think thr club will have anticipated that Tielemans and Soyuncu would have 2-3 serious interested parties from the off and the £40-50m generated would then get the ball rolling, I don't think they look as negatively and cynically at things like fans do, certainly us lot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm still fairly on the fence on Brendan Rodgers, tipping a little more towards the notion he's peaked here, but blaming him for the financial situation or the squad being bloated with overpaid fringe players is pretty daft. 

Ultimately the buck stops with Rudkin. 

There's more than one aspect to "recruitment." Whilst we're clearly very good at identifying young talent, we've been very poor for a long time at both negotiation for fees/salaries and in identifying "established" players. 

As good a choice as your Riyads, Kantes, Ndidis and Fofanas were - we've made honking calls on the likes of Slimani, Silva, Praet, Vestergaard, Bertrand, Ghezzal and others. 

And then when it comes to negotiating, we do it like we believe we're small fry. Why did we bend over backwards for guys like Bertrand? Why weren't we telling his agent "if you want 70k a week, go tout him out to one of the newly promoted clubs that are desperate for him. We're offering you a club that's finished fifth two years running and is in Europe." We didn't NEED Bertrand, we didn't NEED Vestergaard, clearly proven by the fact they barely kicked a ball all year. 

But now we're fvcked and can't sign anyone because of them. Why didn't we sign loan players? They were only injury cover, get alternatives in for a year, don't saddle yourself with three or four year contracts for expensive trash. 

We make some absolutely woeful decisions and Rodgers really isn't behind them all. The club collectively at an executive level needs to take some stick for the current state of the squad. 

I absolutely agree that Rudkin should be managing Rodgers and our budgets better (giving big contracts out will nilly) but Rodgers brought in Congerton (again Rudkin/Whelan should have said no). Our recruitment seems to be decided on a committee type basis with the manager, DoF, HoR and HoA all having a say - Rodgers has had a greater influence because he had his man in the most important recruitment position.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NasPb said:

Absolutely shameful we can't sign this lad for 14 million. We're paying for our errors of last summer. Two Rodgers sized errors

...I am not going to lose any sleep not picking him up, forking out £14m for someone ineffective on the right, doesn't help us!!!

Better to have the funds to pick up an effective RW and find that cover for Barnes from elsewhere, at this moment preferably from within our squad.

• Like 4