Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Greavsie versus The Ice Kings

23 hours ago, kushiro said:

Here's the Sunday Mirror from March 24th 1963 that mentions the incident:

Greaves-3.jpg

Here it is blown up. I hope it's readable:

Greaves-2.jpg

Yes, thank you for posting this report. I’ve been to many games over the years, probably pushing 2000 and most, particularly from years ago have long since faded in my memory.

However, I can still see and visualise Greaves disallowed goal. I was behind the goal and looking through the netting at the front as you did in those days. I was only 10 and for some reason have never forgotten it.

Another one has appeared! 

The mysterious person who has access to hundreds of old football videos and is gradually putting the whole lot online has just uploaded another Leicester match from the Ice Kings season - in fact, it's the very next match after the Spurs game that started this thread - West Ham at home on November 10th.

Despite the defeat at Spurs we were still 4th, while the Hammers are down in 17th.  Bobby Moore (aged 21), Geoff Hurst (20) and Martin Peters (18) are all in their team.  Here's what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4ba67R9D0

Hopefully there's more videos on the way from later that season. 

17 minutes ago, kushiro said:

Another one has appeared! 

The mysterious person who has access to hundreds of old football videos and is gradually putting the whole lot online has just uploaded another Leicester match from the Ice Kings season - in fact, it's the very next match after the Spurs game that started this thread - West Ham at home on November 10th.

Despite the defeat at Spurs we were still 4th, while the Hammers are down in 17th.  Bobby Moore (aged 21), Geoff Hurst (20) and Martin Peters (18) are all in their team.  Here's what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4ba67R9D0

Hopefully there's more videos on the way from later that season. 

Good stuff

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update. Seems like our friend with access to the massive archive is working his way through the 1962/63 season, uploading gradually. If that's so, there should be some great Leicester action on the way. Two little gems have appeared in the last few days that don't directly involve Leicester, but they're part of the story of that season and are worth watching for a moment of brilliance in each of them.

1) Nov 24th - Greaves' genius again. Spurs lose 2-1 at Burnley but the highlight is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUjZwTcrmiY&t=329s#t=5m05s

We drew 0-0 at home to Blackpool that day and were sitting nicely in fourth place behind Everton, Spurs and Burnley.

2) Nov 29th   Just five days later Greaves is playing for the Football League against the Italian League. These  games were a big deal back then - there's a big crowd at Highbury and the BBC are showing the second half live. Greaves doesn't do much in this game - the star of the show is John Charles, who's playing for the Italian League.

Charles had come back from Juventus at the start of the season, rejoining Leeds for a massive fee. His first game was at Filbert Street, a pre-season friendly which finished 2-2  (anyone remember that?). His appearance drew a crowd of almost 8,000, though press reports tell of him being short of match practice and overweight.

The move back to Leeds didn't work out and he was back off to Italy at the start of November, joining Roma just a few weeks before this Football League game.  Well, he'd clearly got himself in shape by then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhy3fVE2dhI&t=772s#t=27m32s

Here's a piece on that game at Filbert Street:

cha-1.jpg 

This'll be easier to read:

cha2.jpg

cha3.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The video uploads of the 1962/62 season are continuing.

We've reached January 19th. Leicester v Everton would almost certainly have been on MOTD - we were 4th, Everton were top, but the icy weather saw to that. MOTD showed Tottenham v Blackpool instead - which once again became the Greavsie show. Two goal of the season contenders here, both finished with that 'devastating nonchalance', at 4.15 and 9.30 in this video. The snow is really falling towards the end, making visibility difficult, but the fact that you have to imagine the kind of contact Greaves makes for the second goal somehow makes it more special.

Spurs v Blackpool 1962-3 - YouTube

For the first time, City decided to use the Granby Halls for practice games. And another new development was the trial of a hot air 'tent' to thaw out the pitch. This was from the Leicester Evening Mail two days before the Everton game, which they'd already given up hope of staging, and they're looking ahead to the FA Cup tie v Ipswich:

pigs-0.jpg

pigs-1.jpg

pigs-2.jpg

pigs-3.jpg

pigs-4.jpg

The following day the company said the experiment had worked, and they were now receiving inquiries from clubs all over the country. But then a few days later:

pigs-5.jpg

pigs-6.jpg

pigs-7.jpg

On 17/01/2022 at 07:35, Spudulike said:

So players dived even in those days? Did Banks really have a problem with high crosses or did lazy journalism exist even then? 

Jimmy Bloomfield used to trip himself up in the penalty area.  The crowd used to laugh as did the ref.

I don't remember Banks having any problem with crosses.

On 17/01/2022 at 07:35, Spudulike said:

Did Banks really have a problem with high crosses or did lazy journalism exist even then? 

Goalies were subject to a lot more physicality then. I suspect a poor outcome awaited any keeper who wasn't sure of his positioning. Banks was, as all were, very brave considering the minimal protection they received.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A few more random points about that Leicester v Spurs game. 

It was all happening at the time - three days after that game we drew 0-0 at Bramall Lane, watched by the England selectors, with the result that Gordon Banks was selected for the England team for the match v Scotland at Wembley 10 days later - the first City player chosen for England for 28 years - since Sep Smith's only cap in 1935. 

Graham Cross had made his England U-23 debut two days before the Spurs game. He would never quite break into the full team.

While sitting second in the League, City were also joint-favourites for the FA Cup - the QF at Norwich was coming up the following Saturday. The only time in our history when we've had realistic hopes of the double.

Tony Marchi, who was playing for Spurs in that game, had played in front of another huge crowd at Filbert Street when he was only 14 - for Edmonton Boys in the semi-final of the English Schools Cup v Leicester Boys. Edmonton is an area of London next to Tottenham. Here he is leading them out:

marchi-ed.jpg

Leicester went through to the Final but they couldn't repeat their triumph of a year before - they lost to Salford over two legs.

I'm hoping that footage of the famous FA Cup SF v Liverpool is the next treat from the 1962/62 season to be uploaded - then we can see just how good Banks' saves were.

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, kushiro said:

I'm hoping that footage of the famous FA Cup SF v Liverpool is the next treat from the 1962/62 season to be uploaded - then we can see just how good Banks' saves were,

Me too. Please keep us updated.

27th April 1963, the day I was born. Leicester 1 Liverpool 0, Stringfellow. :appl:

DbyoCoGWkAApCq_.jpeg

• Like 2