Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Spurs post Match

Generally, we looked like boys playing men. They were stronger, taller, quicker right across the park. Only JJ looked like he could match them physically, and than includes Soyuncu. Throughout the game we just kept giving them the ball. I don't know if we are trying the high risk, high reward through balls, to try and slip players in, but whatever we are doing it isn't working when the players we pass to are on the other team. Reminds me of our team in 2014/2015 in the run up to the great escape. We looked naive and shocked by how the big boys play. Then something galvanised us, we played smarter and harder, stayed up and won the league. Not sure Rodgers has it in him to get bring these players together and play as one.

My thoughts on how the players played.

Schmeichel: OK, distribution wasn't bad, but not great either.

Vestergaard: Absolute muck. Kept getting lost half way up the pitch and too slow to get back. Gave the ball away, leading to a goal. Worst player I've seen for a long time.

Soyuncu: Not good. But I think with how bad Vestergaard is he was doing the work of two.

Choudhury: Wasn't great either. But was the only one to put his foot through the ball and clear the lines at times.

Thomas: Did quite alright, had a good goal line clearance, and played well.

Albrighton: I forgot he was playing. Probably needs a rest.

Tielemans: Poor. Kept giving the ball away. At fault for the last goal. Needs a rest.

KDH: Did quite alright. Lots of energy again. Drove us forward on occasions.

Maddison: OK. Took his goal. But couldn't dictate the play as overrun. 

Lookman: Good. Love his movement, his pace, and his directness. 

Daka: OK. Took his goal, but he needs to be stronger and hold the ball better.

Subs:

Justin: Very good. Great to see him moving forward. He finds space, is strong, makes passes that reach their intended targets.

Barnes: Good assist. Bit greedy, but I don't mind that as you want scorers to be a bit selfish, but should have offloaded it to Lookman - although Barnes wouldn't have seen the defender making a great run.

Soumare: Didn't get much time but weak, slow and looks confused.

Really frustrating as we were seconds away from beating Liverpool and Spurs with a 3rd/4th choice defence. Can accept if they equalise in the last min but to let them go and score again is criminal. Spurs we’re there to be beat and we threw it away even if we didn’t deserve to win. Can accept we will prob be mid table this season if we give the cups a good go as we are to far behind now. Just hope Spurs don’t get top 4 because they are shit and a bunch of w*****

9 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Generally, we looked like boys playing men. They were stronger, taller, quicker right across the park. Only JJ looked like he could match them physically, and than includes Soyuncu. Throughout the game we just kept giving them the ball. I don't know if we are trying the high risk, high reward through balls, to try and slip players in, but whatever we are doing it isn't working when the players we pass to are on the other team. Reminds me of our team in 2014/2015 in the run up to the great escape. We looked naive and shocked by how the big boys play. Then something galvanised us, we played smarter and harder, stayed up and won the league. Not sure Rodgers has it in him to get bring these players together and play as one.

Vestergaard: Absolute muck. Kept getting lost half way up the pitch and too slow to get back. Gave the ball away, leading to a goal. Worst player I've seen for a long time.

Soyuncu: Not good. But I think with how bad Vestergaard is he was doing the work of two.

Choudhury: Wasn't great either. But was the only one to put his foot through the ball and clear the lines at times.

Tielemans: Poor. Kept giving the ball away. At fault for the last goal. Needs a rest.

Subs:

Justin: Very good. Great to see him moving forward. He finds space, is strong, makes passes that reach their intended targets.

Barnes: Good assist. Bit greedy, but I don't mind that as you want scorers to be a bit selfish, but should have offloaded it to Lookman - although Barnes wouldn't have seen the defender making a great run.

Albrighton did some great defending, that clearance off the line was great stuff, just got few chances going forward.

Vesterguard is too slow and Cags is a good player, but needs to be in a settled back line.

Thomas was struggling when Doherty came on, and good to see that JJ could contain him.

One other positive was defending corners and set pieces was a lot better. Man marking and players on posts. Who would have thought!

In the end though it is our defensive injury crisis that cost us, and lack of on field leadership to see out a game that we nearly fluked a win.

It hurts to lose like that, and to fecking Spurs again.

• Like 1

I've just got up and am still utterly bewildered how and annoyed that we contrived to blow a valuable win and three points with effectively 10 seconds left and actually lose. 

I get the posts that perhaps we were fortunate to lead 2 - 1. But we'd shown real character to get into that position with a patched up team. The stupidity by seasoned internationals shown in that final 70 seconds was a microcosm of the last two seasons. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, foxinsox said:

Albrighton did some great defending, that clearance off the line was great stuff, just got few chances going forward.

Vesterguard is too slow and Cags is a good player, but needs to be in a settled back line.

Thomas was struggling when Doherty came on, and good to see that JJ could contain him.

One other positive was defending corners and set pieces was a lot better. Man marking and players on posts. Who would have thought!

In the end though it is our defensive injury crisis that cost us, and lack of on field leadership to see out a game that we nearly fluked a win.

I forgot about Albrighton's goal line clearance. Shouldn't be too harsh on him. I think he's a really solid player and can't fault what he has done for us.

The man marking at corners is much better. But Thomas on Kane... what were they thinking? Yes, they could have switched it up if Soy was on Kane and played it to one of their other much taller and stronger players, so could be a moot point. But again highlights that we lack some muscle in the team. 

KS has also done a lot for us, and I am sure on and off the pitch he is a leader (we see him screaming and organising), but we need a leader in the midfield, Tielemans isn't it. Maybe KDH will find his voice as he grows in the team. But 100%, we lack leadership, and at the moment they all look so naive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dynamark said:

We were doggo but where did the extra time and extra extra time come from?

Really doesn't matter. We need to close out games and not give the ball away so easily.

Why didn't we give the ball back to Kasper to hold onto for a few seconds and get the draw? Yes, I want us to play attacking football, but not in the final seconds of a game when we look completely out of it.

• Like 1

For a couple of years now almost all of the goals (and big chances) we have conceded - especially at home - have been self-inflicted. Either through lack of organisation at set pieces, by flimsy fifty-fifty challenges, or - and this happened countless times yesterday, notably for their winning goal - by needlessly gifting the ball to the opposition in a dangerous position with a ridiculously sloppy pass (and yes, our captain leads by example in this regard).

We really are our own worst enemy.

• Like 3

Unless KDH was genuinely injured, I’ve no idea why he’s taken off. 

Vestergaard has to leave. I mean, if we can terminate Benkovic’s contract, surely we can do the same with this lump of shît too?  It’s not even acceptable having him on the bench or in the squad to let his contract run out, I don’t want him and his bad aura anywhere near or around my club, or indeed my city. 

Cags - hot head and over commits himself to the point where he literally puts himself in unplayable positions to defend. 

Youri - probably his first major **** up. But it really was a major, major **** up. Send it home and Kasper boots it long for a begrudging 2-2. A point is better than nothing.

Got to beat Brighton at the weekend.  

Edited by ozvaldo

Guest bennytwohats
12 minutes ago, foxinsox said:

Agree with most of that. Hard to say with Cags at this point whether this is the anomaly, or his good form a couple of years back was the anomaly. He’s been suspect for as long as I can remember.

As you say, we defended corners well, and got absolutely peppered with them at the start.

Ironically, I actually thought we were managing the game after our second goal quite well until the spectacular collapse at the end. In hindsight we obviously needed another goal, but at the time I thought we managed to break up the game quite well and ran down the clock without too many big scares. Until we didn’t.

Footballs a weird one. If those two minutes of madness didn’t happen I think we’d be viewing this as a pretty resilient win under the circumstances. The absolute ****ing gut punch in losing the way we did makes it quite difficult to view it objectively.

I've waited for the dust (volcanic ash) to settle before I comment on last nights game.  TBH it hasn't got any better after a bad nights sleep, because I couldn't stop thinking about that stupid pass by Tielemans and our defense being utter s**te*.  I now have long journey back to the UK (with not enough sleep), so the moral of the story is don't watch our team, if you want an early night and have along day ahead of you.

• Like 1

Might avoid the media today, no doubt they won't give a monkeys that we had a patched up team, it'll just be a Spurs jizz fest.

I thought they were more physical than before Conte came, got to the edge of our box with ease but often make the wrong decision, particularly greedy Kane but with signings, lovely big stadium with cheese room and all and a few more months of Conte coaching they will be significantly stronger than they have been for a while and can get some momentum behind them. I hope Kane is ashamed for effectively being on strike under Nuno after his failed move to Man City fell apart, bit of a disgrace for someone with his profile (I mean status in the game not shape of his face). With Arsenal improving and West Ham hanging in there there really are seven clubs blocking our way to CL and Europa League and with signs of further growth next season, we need everyone back and firing to compete. I'm more worried about that than one silly pass or one result. 

• Like 1

Spurs have been a difficult team for us for some time. Both them and West Ham seem to out think us.

It looks like mid table this year, in which case we should push the Cup run and Europa Conference League. 

We are one of those teams now that are mid table in a bad year, and in Europe in a good one, but without the resources to consistently get there. I don't think that we have seen our last relegation battle either. So that is why the rivalry with Spurs matters so much. They are our benchmark, and I want to be in a position to finish above them, West Ham, Everton etc. At least when it came to a sniff of silverware we got some.

I am not yet "Rogers Out" but there is something wrong in the physio and medical side to be picking up so many injuries, particularly muscle strains, and his recruitment is a bit patchy. Daka is our Vardy replacement, but otherwise I am not convinced.

One concern is that I think the Thais are squeezed financially so cannot spend too much at present. I love their commitment, but Duty Free is a crap business to be in the last 2 years.

I too have waited for the dust to settle before commenting but it hasnt got any easier.

There's a lot of people berating Rodgers, the tactics etc etc but the way I see it is we were pretty poor but somehow managed to stay in the game and take the lead twice. Rodgers and tactics aside, and yes admitting we were poor we still had the opportunity to snatch 3 points that would have been totally undeserved. We cant blame the manager for the catatstrophic ending where we bascially gave up after the equaliser went in. Schmeichel should be taking a yellow and stopping the ball being retrieved, he should also in my opinion have been at the edge of his box when the through ball was made by Kane and should easily have been able to get there first and hack it to safety. The pass by Tielemens.......just woeful, for someone so expereinced even though still young it was criminal. 

Then theres the extra time and the additional added extra time from what was quite frankly a weak referee. Bergwijn dived (booking) then jumped up aggressively and pushed Soyuncu in the chest (definite yellow, some might argue straight red because of the aggressive intent). The equaliser.....not seen it too many times or in slow mo but it defintely looks like it comes off Dohertys arm, last season thats reviewed and disallowed.  But all of that aside with 8 seconds left on the clock we should be taking a point at the very very least and really all 3.

Football has become a bit of joke these days, players throwing themselves around, 95% of throw ins are foul throws and never picked up by officials that have no idea what the rules are anymore. Playing on when its blatantly offside that Ray Charles, and Stevie Wonder would have flagged it. That will only continue until there is a serious injury due to the stupidity of the morons who make these decisions having never played the game, sometimes I dont think they've ever watched a game.

All that said, I'll still be there on Sunday for another dose of disappointment....Brighton are a very talented team, very together, quick and agressive....god help us!

1 minute ago, fazzyfox said:

Might avoid the media today, no doubt they won't give a monkeys that we had a patched up team, it'll just be a Spurs jizz fest.

I thought they were more physical than before Conte came, got to the edge of our box with ease but often make the wrong decision, particularly greedy Kane but with signings, lovely big stadium with cheese room and all and a few more months of Conte coaching they will be significantly stronger than they have been for a while and can get some momentum behind them. I hope Kane is ashamed for effectively being on strike under Nuno after his failed move to Man City fell apart, bit of a disgrace for someone with his profile (I mean status in the game not shape of his face). With Arsenal improving and West Ham hanging in there there really are seven clubs blocking our way to CL and Europa League and with signs of further growth next season, we need everyone back and firing to compete. I'm more worried about that than one silly pass or one result. 

Patched up team or not too many individual errors that professional players shouldn't make. From giving the ball away, getting stranded too far up the pitch, to lunging in and getting turned too easily.

We've known who is available for long enough, that team should have been training as a unit, and the manager should know their strengths and weaknesses, same drill them accordingly.

They are not first choice for sure, but they are PL squad members, but some of the errors were awful.

27 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

Unless KDH was genuinely injured, I’ve no idea why he’s taken off. 

Vestergaard has to leave. I mean, if we can terminate Benkovic’s contract, surely we can do the same with this lump of shît too?  It’s not even acceptable having him on the bench or in the squad to let his contract run out, I don’t want him and his bad aura anywhere near or around my club, or indeed my city. 

Cags - hot head and over commits himself to the point where he literally puts himself in unplayable positions to defend. 

Youri - probably his first major **** up. But it really was a major, major **** up. Send it home and Kasper boots it long for a begrudging 2-2. A point is better than nothing.

Got to beat Brighton at the weekend.  

He's been out with a calf injury and was holding his calf before he went off.

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Always record games that I go to so I can watch later. Not only will I not watch it, I’m tempted to chuck the whole fvckin Sky setup in the bin 

Shame the game was on BT :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

Subs:

Is this the same Albrighton that cleared two shots right off the goal line? 

• Like 1