Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Spurs post Match

Woke up this morning still thinking I must have had a bad dream about the end of the game before reality dawned swiftly. A truly hideous way to lose but there's no doubt that Tottenham were much the better team on the night if we're honest. 

There's equally no doubt that injuries played a massive part in this defeat as they have all season. We started the game missing 7 first team squad defenders (including our entire first choice back 4) and our first choice CDM.

Given this, Rodgers probably thought we had to go 532 as you can't really play Albrighton as a right back (he's not good enough defensively) or Vestergaard in a 4 (he doesn't have the pace needed to cover). 

Looking at the defence it was made up of our reserve winger at RB, our reserve CDM at RCB, a CB just back from injury who has been struggling for form in the centre, our (useless) 5th choice CB  at LCB and a 19 year old at LB. Hardly likely to be solid.

Furthermore, the decision to go 532 then had further knock on effects that weakened our overall shape and structure as we just don't play the system well even with more of our best players available. 

The result was not surprisingly a disjointed performance in which we made a Tottenham team lacking creativity and goals this season look like Man City on a good day when going forward. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scotch said:

I done the exact same thing. Lol. 

I had money on us to draw and United to win and my stream was about 90 seconds behind.

So when the 2nd goal went (United having already paid out) I went to check the winnings and... oh. Thought it was a mistake.

• Haha 1

In reality, Spurs fashioned enough chances to easily win last night. The worst part for ourselves was that the actual goals all came for a LC players passing the ball to a white shirt. Not an interception, or a tackle but a pretty damned fine laser straight pass to the opposition. That was just damned poor play. At least Kasper tends to hack it out for a throw in rather than to the feet of an opponent.

They deserved to beat us. Not sure how we were winning but I thought we'd hold on (well, not concede two in two minutes in extra time). 

Daka cannot play up top on his own. Inability to hold the ball, Sanchez was far to strong for him. 

1 minute ago, cambridgefox said:

My mood wasn’t made any better by a 40 mile diversion on the way home due to A14 roadworks.

Likewise the M1 shut - so frigging annoying 

but on the plus side, my ten y o showed more bottle this morning than the team last night by wearing his LCFC bobble hat to school …… and yes, he will get ribbed 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hammo said:

For a couple of years now almost all of the goals (and big chances) we have conceded - especially at home - have been self-inflicted. Either through lack of organisation at set pieces, by flimsy fifty-fifty challenges, or - and this happened countless times yesterday, notably for their winning goal - by needlessly gifting the ball to the opposition in a dangerous position with a ridiculously sloppy pass (and yes, our captain leads by example in this regard).

We really are our own worst enemy.

Its because of the style of play and coaching. Its too over complicated with too many players caught in two minds about what they should be doing. The keeper and centre backs are expected to be play makers from the back when instead they should be focusing on defending first. 

The fear of making a mistake in this possession based style of play actually leads to more mistakes. 

Its no coincidence that the team have improved when Rodgers has claimed to ‘go back to basics’. I mean the proof is there that we’ve not conceded from a set piece since going back to man marking. 

The postponed games have ruined any momentum because that means Rodgers has had a good chunk of time to get back to focusing on his style of play rather than getting through games by any means and potentially building some momentum.

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

Generally, we looked like boys playing men. They were stronger, taller, quicker right across the park. Only JJ looked like he could match them physically, and than includes Soyuncu. Throughout the game we just kept giving them the ball. I don't know if we are trying the high risk, high reward through balls, to try and slip players in, but whatever we are doing it isn't working when the players we pass to are on the other team. Reminds me of our team in 2014/2015 in the run up to the great escape. We looked naive and shocked by how the big boys play. Then something galvanised us, we played smarter and harder, stayed up and won the league. Not sure Rodgers has it in him to get bring these players together and play as one.

My thoughts on how the players played.

Schmeichel: OK, distribution wasn't bad, but not great either.

Vestergaard: Absolute muck. Kept getting lost half way up the pitch and too slow to get back. Gave the ball away, leading to a goal. Worst player I've seen for a long time.

Soyuncu: Not good. But I think with how bad Vestergaard is he was doing the work of two.

Choudhury: Wasn't great either. But was the only one to put his foot through the ball and clear the lines at times.

Thomas: Did quite alright, had a good goal line clearance, and played well.

Albrighton: I forgot he was playing. Probably needs a rest.

Tielemans: Poor. Kept giving the ball away. At fault for the last goal. Needs a rest.

KDH: Did quite alright. Lots of energy again. Drove us forward on occasions.

Maddison: OK. Took his goal. But couldn't dictate the play as overrun. 

Lookman: Good. Love his movement, his pace, and his directness. 

Daka: OK. Took his goal, but he needs to be stronger and hold the ball better.

Subs:

Justin: Very good. Great to see him moving forward. He finds space, is strong, makes passes that reach their intended targets.

Barnes: Good assist. Bit greedy, but I don't mind that as you want scorers to be a bit selfish, but should have offloaded it to Lookman - although Barnes wouldn't have seen the defender making a great run.

Soumare: Didn't get much time but weak, slow and looks confused.

He what?

One of them frustrating seasons, one step forward 2 back. Only real positives are Thomas and dewsbury-hall, off the pitch we’re in a good place and looks like we’ve some great youngsters coming through just have to suck it up and start again next season I think

9 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Was in the kop so 2 questions:

who played kane on for first? And what was the var check for the second? 

as for the game, any danger of anyone marking kane or getting within a yard of him? Vestergaard makes my pet tortoise look mobile! Outstanding effort but totally outplayed! 

Spurs bullied us.  They have good players who are not good enough... but they were physical with niggly fouls.

We are light weight and naive.

Cags played kane inside.  I think there was a pause for var checks.  Kasper poor for no 2.

I was surprised bergvijn was not shown red.

Shame coz kevin, kdh, hamsa, thomas had good games.

Maddison mia... always against big clubs 

Edited by foxinsocks

Laughably bad game management. We had the chance to hold it in the corner and instead threw bodies forward and did again after the equaliser.

We all know how bad Vestergaard is, but I’m absolutely sick of Soyuncu. He could’ve cost us a lot more than he actually did and I wish he hacked Bergwijn down so I don’t have to watch him again on Sunday.

• Like 2