Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

We have very few right wingers in the academy, I've no problem signing 16-19 year olds if they have the potential to play 1st team football for us.

If they have no direct competitor in the academy that will not cause problems. Promoting an 18 y.o from another club over one of our own for the same position in the team will definitely cause problems.

43 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

If they have no direct competitor in the academy that will not cause problems. Promoting an 18 y.o from another club over one of our own for the same position in the team will definitely cause problems.

Maybe so, but that shouldn't mean we should never do it. Brunt, Young, Grist and Popov have all joined last summer and look to be of good quality. 

A young left footed right winger would be a great investment. Ebiowei, Karamoko Dembele and Femi Azeez are all available on a free. 

Loan them out and in 18 months time they might be good enough to compete with our new first team right winger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We have very few right wingers in the academy, I've no problem signing 16-19 year olds if they have the potential to play 1st team football for us.

The issue we have is we need a RW who can contribute decent numbers and improve the side straight away. 

If we are going to challenge the upper end of the table again we need one that can bring 10-15 goal contributions next season. 

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The issue we have is we need a RW who can contribute decent numbers and improve the side straight away. 

If we are going to challenge the upper end of the table again we need one that can bring 10-15 goal contributions next season. 

....that shouldn't be difficult!!!

Get a player in who can actually play the role and you have what you are looking for.

16 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....that shouldn't be difficult!!!

Get a player in who can actually play the role and you have what you are looking for.

The endless debate eh.There are a number of suitable candidates but those that can actually do the job properly are expensive and we do not want to pay. Jadon Sancho was bought to do the job at £75 million and 250 grand a week , so far 3 goals.

5 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...quality player (Ebiowi), would still love to have Karamoko here though, still only 19, out on loan for a season and comeback and compete for a starting place!!!

You've obviously not seen much at all of Karamoko in the last couple of years. I'd be amazed if he was ready to compete for a place in the Celtic side in a year's time let alone the Leicester side.

As can happen he simply looks like another childhood prodigy that hasn't developed as everyone hoped and expected.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....Dembele himself would not be competing with any academy prospects coming through, at this moment!!!

I understand bringing in players as a gamble (and that will be what it is, in this scenario) could curtail or limit the ability of players coming through our academy, and that goes against the grain of what we are trying to achieve at the moment.

Next season will be an exciting times for the players that have made a breakthrough this season, who ever goes out on loan needs to see it as an opportunity to grow, as opposed to being sidelined by the club.

As for Dembele I am still hopeful that his injury problem (ankle) are now something that will no longer be a barrier to him progressing and the pressure of being a prodigy is taken off his shoulders. I so much want him to come here, we could just have an amazing player on our hands, if only we give him the opportunity.

I think people are getting carried away with Dembele without really having seen him play. In his fleeting appearances for the first team this season he's looked way out his depth. I've seen a few B team games he's played in this season also and he isn't even standing out in those.

11 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I think people are getting carried away with Dembele without really having seen him play. In his fleeting appearances for the first team this season he's looked way out his depth. I've seen a few B team games he's played in this season also and he isn't even standing out in those.

....time to get away from Celtic and start again elsewhere!!!

Not sure how much game time he is getting in the "B" team, but it is going to be the start of his next chapter at the end of this month and it will be interesting to follow his development. His stop start career has got allowed him much momentum to develop, he needs to continue to believe in himself, a restart is the best that could happen to him right now.

29 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

The endless debate eh.There are a number of suitable candidates but those that can actually do the job properly are expensive and we do not want to pay. Jadon Sancho was bought to do the job at £75 million and 250 grand a week , so far 3 goals.

...Giovani (Palmeiras) is listed at £9m on transfer market!!!

Noni Madueke £16.2m (Transfer Market)

David Neres £18.00m (Transfer Market)

Tete (Lyon)  £18.00m (Transfer Market)

I would surmise there are lots more on the continent that can play the role, and not likely to break the bank either.

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Giovani (Palmeiras) is listed at £9m on transfer market!!!

Noni Madueke £16.2m (Transfer Market)

David Neres £18.00m (Transfer Market)

Tete (Lyon)  £18.00m (Transfer Market)

I would surmise there are lots more on the continent that can play the role, and not likely to break the bank either.

I think you can be pretty sure that Rodgers ( if he is still manager that is ) will not be interested in any more speculative wide men. Lookman on a permanent deal is probably most likely.

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

I think you can be pretty sure that Rodgers ( if he is still manager that is ) will not be interested in any more speculative wide men. Lookman on a permanent deal is probably most likely.

....I wouldn't say any of the previously quoted players are speculative!!!

We are missing a trick not bringing in a RW, it makes no sense. Bringing Lookman in maybe a plan (i am not convinced about him) and he only gives the team any real purpose when he plays on the left as opposed to Barnes, so not directly influencing the first eleven. Any manager who comes in will immediately look to bring a RW in, Rodgers has his own ideas on this, I am not too sure what it is.

27 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Well we have been looking for RW since 2018, and have spent 40m odd on Ghezzal and Perez and loan in both Under and Lookman and still have sorted it.

So I'd say it more difficult then you think. 

You are not getting Madueke for 16m 

....we were warned about Ghezzal, just how poor he was, that was before he turned up!!!

Perez was an outrageous price to pay for someone who was not bought to play wide, but was used in that position to shoehorn him into the team. Even when it was clear it wasn't working Rodgers insisted on using him there. Lookman is a LW if anything, we really have not made a genuine effort to bring in RW, or at least that we know about.

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I'm not suggesting Ebiowi as the RW we badly need, more one for the future but we need at least 2 new wingers possibly more for the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....we were warned about Ghezzal, just how poor he was, that was before he turned up!!!

Perez was an outrageous price to pay for someone who was not bought to play wide, but was used in that position to shoehorn him into the team. Even when it was clear it wasn't working Rodgers insisted on using him there. Lookman is a LW if anything, we really have not made a genuine effort to bring in RW, or at least that we know about.

Perez worked fine until we lost Ricardo to his ACL, they had a pretty good partnership going in the first half of 19/20. 10 goals and 6 assists from the right side in 28 league between them.

....business to be done for next season, should be:

In

De Ketelaere   -  £30m  (Forward)

Tete                 - £20m   (Right Winger, left footed)

Mah. Dahoud  - £20m   (#8, Central Midfield)

Chris Richards -£20m   (Centre Back)

Conservative costs applied. Total cost = £90m

Out

Tielemans      - £20m

Soyuncu        - £15m

Praet             - £10m

Amartey        - £10m

Hamza          - £7m

Mendy          - £7m

Conservative figures applied. Total revenue = £69m + club contribution £20m = £89m

The budget might just stretch to bring in Lookman, as the figures quoted are conservative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....business to be done for next season, should be:

In

De Ketelaere   -  £30m  (Forward)

Tete                 - £20m   (Right Winger, left footed)

Mah. Dahoud  - £20m   (#8, Central Midfield)

Chris Richards -£20m   (Centre Back)

Conservative costs applied. Total cost = £90m

Out

Tielemans      - £20m

Soyuncu        - £15m

Praet             - £10m

Amartey        - £10m

Hamza          - £7m

Mendy          - £7m

Conservative figures applied. Total revenue = £69m + club contribution £20m = £89m

The budget might just stretch to bring in Lookman, as the figures quoted are conservative.

If we let go of Cags and Dan we’re going to need to bring in 2-3 CBs 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phenom said:

If we let go of Cags and Dan we’re going to need to bring in 2-3 CBs 

Yeah we'd need 2 CB's but we could look at a loan or there's several on a free this summer of we can get our act together.

16 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....time to get away from Celtic and start again elsewhere!!!

Not sure how much game time he is getting in the "B" team, but it is going to be the start of his next chapter at the end of this month and it will be interesting to follow his development. His stop start career has got allowed him much momentum to develop, he needs to continue to believe in himself, a restart is the best that could happen to him right now.

The B team play in a competitive league, against semi-pro teams, equivalent of non-league in England.

His career hasn't been stop start at all really, he's not featured because plainly he's not been good enough and hasn't developed since bursting onto the scene at 16. He was out injured for 6 months this season but that was his own fault, had he taken Celtic's medical advice and got an Op right away he would have been back in 12 weeks.

I agree he probably needs to leave and start his career afresh but that needs to happen somewhere he's going to get a fair crack at first team football and he'll have to adjust his expectations in that sense. Bouncing about on loan won't be the answer either, He's nowhere near good enough to threaten the Celtic team so I can't understand at all why Leicester would be a good move for him, he'd be even further away from first team football.

Serious question have you seen much of him at all other than the videos when he was in his early teens?

• Like 2

We should stop looking for bargains. As soon as we come looking prices go up. The Leicester system is well known now and as with Fofana, we are going to have to pay a realistic price. If we have ambitions to play in Europe every season , we are going to have to pay top dollar. That is why it is critical to our success to promote our own academy players. I can see no justification to buying young players from other clubs. To immediately strengthen the match day squads ,we are going to have to compete for proven , consistent quality. That will be expensive. The owners are going to have to subsidise our transfer budget by increasing amounts in my opinion.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 1