Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

3 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

This.  Youri a prime example - picking the ball up deep at times and trying to progress is much more fraught when you have a sh1t show of a defence behind you.  Must be a contributing factor to his below par season.  I can't recall which game it was but I recall Madison scoring and we almost immediately conceded.  The look on his face.  Must have been pretty bloody disheartening to be one of our forward players at times last season.   Even with very little transfer activity this summer having Wes and Evans back and hopefully fit will impact on players further up the pitch.  

This is a brilliant viewpoint over this. The constraints of any attack in a possession system is starting from the foundation of defence. If there is no foundation, there is no build or at least confidence in that build. And as we all know, confidence can play a big factor in this squad.

• Like 1

Baring in mind the club don't want to lose Tielemans, he was unlikely to be included in the anticipated incomings and outgoings that they are hoping to conclude. The one deal not yet happened which I think they are very eager to do is Soyuncu going for £15-20m and start the ball rolling.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, FoxesCJ30 said:

This is a brilliant viewpoint over this. The constraints of any attack in a possession system is starting from the foundation of defence. If there is no foundation, there is no build or at least confidence in that build. And as we all know, confidence can play a big factor in this squad.

Cheers.  Absolutely.  I think we all tend to forget these aren't robots but people.  That's why I was so critical of Soyuncu last season.  I just felt personally that his unforced mistakes and nervy play impacted in midfield particularly and decision making up the pitch.  It was a factor towards sideways passing and more conservative play generally which, of course, actually led to further mistakes and goals conceded.  

Look we all saw Youri making unforced errors as well so it's never as simple as pointing the finger at one player but this stuff does need to be factored in.  

• Like 1

On 01/07/2022 at 15:01, Bordersfox said:

Something strange is happening.   With each passing day and with little concrete transfer news I am becoming more and more confident in our current squad. 

I am not naturally an optimist, quite the opposite, is this the sporting equivalent of Stockholm syndrome?  Or am I just suffering transfer rumour fatigue? 

Ndidi is fit and will dominate alongside a newly motivated Youri, having just signed a three year contract extension (in my head).  Calamity Caglar will be back to looking a supremely talented young centre back alongside little Wes.  Soumare is definitely going to fulfil his potential and who needs a right winger anyway? Very overrated position.  Duck it, I've been persuaded by @Finneganthat even Perez can do a job for us there.

Its going to be a fantastic season and Rodgers is going to play a blinder.  Tactical masterclass time.  I'm feeling positively smug about the whole affair.  Especially with Forest inevitably going straight back down.    

Frankly, I hope we don't sign anyone. Waste of money with the talent we already have.  

Good transfer windows dont always correlate with a good season and more often than would be expected they're followed by a bad one. I think this following season will be better than last year's at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Baring in mind the club don't want to lose Tielemans, he was unlikely to be included in the anticipated incomings and outgoings that they are hoping to conclude. The one deal not yet happened which I think they are very eager to do is Soyuncu going for £15-20m and start the ball rolling.

What if we are using Tielemans as bait based on keeping him and using the leverage to sign CDK and possibly others given Tielemans statute domestically and internationally. We'd need to roll his contract over fairly quickly though.

39 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He'd be worth a loan I reckon

After impressing with a mighty 3 goal contributions in 1.4k minutes played. Dodged a bullet with this one... To think we'd have paid over 30m for him

43 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

After impressing with a mighty 3 goal contributions in 1.4k minutes played. Dodged a bullet with this one... To think we'd have paid over 30m for him

They've also apparently had to pay Barca about £5m for not taking them up on the option to buy

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Iran said:

Realistic Transfers: Nathan Collins, James Garner, Dwight McNeil, Maxwel Cornet, and Emmanuel Dennis.  

Realistically shit.

Nathan Collins pricetag is way too high for a Burnley and ex-Stoke defender who will most likely not fit in with our high-line defending; James Garner had an okay season in the Championship but even then, he wouldnt even start over Hamza or Bouba if they stayed - Man Utd would also want their payback for Maguire; Dwight McNeil had a single goal contribution in 40 games last season, do I need to say more; Maxwell Cornet for the reported 17.5m seems a bit pricey given we could get a more guaranteed option for less in Lookman; Emmanuel Dennis is honestly a class player but I just don't see how he fits us currently, Watford would also demand more than we'd have to pay for Lookman

• Like 1

Please start doing something, sell someone, if u can’t sell them or loan them out , just give them away . We are going to end up with no-one again , arsenal will wait to the last day to buy YOURI and we will not be able to buy any one . Love the foxes 🦊 but it really pisses me off , how long it takes us to sign any one or get rid of any one . I feel better now . 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Agreed, we’ve been heavily linked in the past so it wouldn’t surprise me if we fancy the challenge of bringing him in and improving his output from what he delivered at Wolves.

39 minutes ago, TMELcfc said:

Just out of interest, what would people class as a ‘rebuild’ that Mr Rodgers was alluding to every time we lost last season? 4 out, 4 in? More? Less? 

Maybe he was talking about the Chesire mansion he bought thinking he was going to be able to escape us but now he's stuck?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TMELcfc said:

Just out of interest, what would people class as a ‘rebuild’ that Mr Rodgers was alluding to every time we lost last season? 4 out, 4 in? More? Less? 

3-4 in and 7-8 gone.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LFox99 said:

13 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I don't think he was half as bad as was made out. I think he looked good in some games, he looks the sort of player who could come good against teams that play a low block. From what I saw he was very unlucky to have had such low figures.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I don't think he was half as bad as was made out. I think he looked good in some games, he looks the sort of player who could come good against teams that play a low block. From what I saw he was very unlucky to have had such low figures.

Asked a Wolves fan about him and he said the kid was too weak and other than getting those 3 goals never really did anything in their team. Like it can be excusable to not have end product if you're at least a help in the build up but he said they always struggled more with him on the pitch.

15 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

Asked a Wolves fan about him and he said the kid was too weak and other than getting those 3 goals never really did anything in their team. Like it can be excusable to not have end product if you're at least a help in the build up but he said they always struggled more with him on the pitch.

He's probably seen him more than me but I think he hit the woodwork a few times and had some good saves against him. I just think he's the type who would work well in our team.

• Like 1

Well we're a quarter of the way through and we're the only club whose ownership haven't been curtailed by warfare not to sign anyone.

There was a huge narrative about a 'refresh' and rebuild coming from Brendan's camp - in his post match interviews mainly - as well as a laying of blame at the door of the players.

More worryingly, I think, is the fact that our targets seem to be either signing for other clubs or flirting with teams of around our level. I said I'd give BR the benefit of the doubt and the time to rebuild but this isn't looking like a positive beginning to any rebuilding tactics. For one, our pre-season has begun and there are no new faces to embed themselves into the playing staff or the training ground.

I'm losing a lot of faith in Brendan to actually oversee some kind of rebuild. I'm aware he's not part of the transfer negotiation process but we'd have to blinkered to think that he has no input. 

• Like 3