Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

7 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Brendan will be fooked by Christmas.

If we continue this way then, yes. He will.

The longer we leave it to strengthen the more other teams strengthen and remove potential targets. It also reduces the amount of acclimatisation incoming staff will be benefitting from. 

It's frustrating, here, because it's so very obvious to fans and staff that we're in need of a desperate refresh but also there are other intangible factors at play. We won't be better placed for dragging out feet too long, however.

13 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Brendan will be fooked by Christmas.

Which is why he oh so very cleverly shifted the blame onto the recruitment team. 

Brendan’s rebuild was never going to happen, he’s not satisfied with the squad hence his comments of a refresh being required. 

Whatever people chose to believe on this forum is up to them, but there was 100% some kind of bust up last season, because various media outlets had to come out and confirm the rumours of Brendan being sacked we’re not true, but rumours of a bust up between the recruitment team and Brendan seems more plausible. 

In short, Brendan has thrown an early first grenade. There was never going to be a rebuild, and there won’t be one. In fact, I don’t even think besides Lookman we will see many incomings at all. If things start to go wrong this season Brendan has already got his excuse “well I did say we needed a refresh and it hasn’t happened”. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Brendan does not have the final word on transfers, it has been reported several times this year alone.

Which I explicitly acknowledged in my prior post. 

"I'm aware he's not part of the transfer negotiation process but we'd have to blinkered to think that he has no input."

Were the exact words. 

I've also bolded out the bit I think pertains to our discussion of the rebuild. There has been a narrative created by Brendan during his post and pre match pressers that we need a 'refresh' or 'rebuild'. This has gone on for some time. I cannot imagine that the club, and the club's media team, allowing this narrative to develop without speaking to Brendan about it and affording him some input into that. Whilst he doesn't have 'final word' on the business element of the club he 100% has 'final word' in his press match commentary. He has hoisted this idea and, as such, will be judged on it. If the club aren't going to back him he's a fool for making those comments and if the club ARE going to back him then we can judge him by them.

Now, should it be me as manager I would only be piping this narrative to the national media if A) that was a view shared by the club and B) we were planning for this to happen. Any other course of action would leave me, as the manager and public face of the club, open to criticism. 

It's looking very likely that the above didn't happen. We've failed to plan long term in an effective manner and, right now, it's starting to look a bit uncomfortable. We being our actual pre-season playing practice in 4 days with a squad who have stood still from last year and look likely to be further depleted before we begin.

You can't have a manager of a club like ours conduct himself the way he did - the open criticism of the playing staff, the continual references to size of the club relative to competition, the vocal need for 'rebuilding' - without the club either interjecting (which we didn't) or backing him. Whichever way you'd like to slice it Brendan, at some point, has to hold responsibility. So what if he doesn't hold 'final word' in transfers - he's certainly not a maligned figure of impoverishment in all of this. It's his sodding narrative.

Whilst Brendan, as has been reported several times this year, doesn't have 'final word' on the transfers he IS a vastly important figure at the club and the one whom, should this fail to work, will pay the ultimate price. I am very confident that he will 100% be involved at several levels and isn't free of agency which is what you seem to be suggesting. 

7 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Which I explicitly acknowledged in my prior post. 

"I'm aware he's not part of the transfer negotiation process but we'd have to blinkered to think that he has no input."

Were the exact words. 

I've also bolded out the bit I think pertains to our discussion of the rebuild. There has been a narrative created by Brendan during his post and pre match pressers that we need a 'refresh' or 'rebuild'. This has gone on for some time. I cannot imagine that the club, and the club's media team, allowing this narrative to develop without speaking to Brendan about it and affording him some input into that. Whilst he doesn't have 'final word' on the business element of the club he 100% has 'final word' in his press match commentary. He has hoisted this idea and, as such, will be judged on it. If the club aren't going to back him he's a fool for making those comments and if the club ARE going to back him then we can judge him by them.

Now, should it be me as manager I would only be piping this narrative to the national media if A) that was a view shared by the club and B) we were planning for this to happen. Any other course of action would leave me, as the manager and public face of the club, open to criticism. 

It's looking very likely that the above didn't happen. We've failed to plan long term in an effective manner and, right now, it's starting to look a bit uncomfortable. We being our actual pre-season playing practice in 4 days with a squad who have stood still from last year and look likely to be further depleted before we begin.

You can't have a manager of a club like ours conduct himself the way he did - the open criticism of the playing staff, the continual references to size of the club relative to competition, the vocal need for 'rebuilding' - without the club either interjecting (which we didn't) or backing him. Whichever way you'd like to slice it Brendan, at some point, has to hold responsibility. So what if he doesn't hold 'final word' in transfers - he's certainly not a maligned figure of impoverishment in all of this. It's his sodding narrative.

Whilst Brendan, as has been reported several times this year, doesn't have 'final word' on the transfers he IS a vastly important figure at the club and the one whom, should this fail to work, will pay the ultimate price. I am very confident that he will 100% be involved at several levels and isn't free of agency which is what you seem to be suggesting. 

Yes of course he is involved and significantly you would have to imagine, especially as we have no head of recruitment currently, but this lambasting of our manager as claiming his proclamation (in perceivced isolation) of a Summer rebuild is jsut bizarre. No way would Top stand for having words put in his mouth, let alone a hand being put in his pocket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes of course he is involved and significantly you would have to imagine, especially as we have no head of recruitment currently, but this lambasting of our manager as claiming his proclamation (in perceivced isolation) of a Summer rebuild is jsut bizarre. No way would Top stand for having words put in his mouth, let alone a hand being put in his pocket.

The lambasting comes about not because of an isolated incident, though, does it?

It comes after a season of underwhelming, and at times downright embarrassing, performances that have started the narrative. You're right, Top won't want words in his mouth so I'm going to assume that Brendan Rodgers has had that conversation and is piping to the fans what he's been responsible for arranging. With that in mind - there hasn't been any action when he has said there will be so I'm going to judge him on that.

I think the fundamental problem here is that sections of the fan-base have had their trust in the manager eroded from his negative commentary about the club. I include myself in that but have been vocal in giving him the time to put this right. We're now a long way into the time to put this right and there has been no movement. I am within my rights to start questioning the manager at this point.

He doesn't have 'final word' on transfers but he's had plenty to say about the need for them and there haven't been any. At a certain point I'm going to point to this and say 'this simply isn't good enough given what you've said about the playing staff previously' and that's a valid point of view. His goodwill doesn't extend as far as blindly trusting all of his decisions.

For the record, I always viewed the 'refresh' as an excuse to avoid too close scrutiny in the face of domestic underachievement and a 5-1 loss to Forest. I don't think there has been anything at all to disabuse me of that notion so far. 

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

For the record, I always viewed the 'refresh' as an excuse to avoid too close scrutiny in the face of domestic underachievement and a 5-1 loss to Forest. I don't think there has been anything at all to disabuse me of that notion so far. 

I just do not buy this (not the fact you have always thought this, thats obviously up to you!), but that line of communication is hugeyly disrespectful to Top as he would full knowledge this was never going to happen, how on earth would he let such rhetoric come too light? To spout such unqualified nonsense is far more likely to show Brendan the door than any substandard performance.

I think there is nothing Machiavellian going on, and it was, perhaps still is, an intention to have such a rebuild.

Just my opinion of course, and I may well be proved incorrect come close of the window

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

I just do not buy this (not the fact you have always thought this, thats obviously up to you!), but that line of communication is hugeyly disrespectful to Top as he would full knowledge this was never going to happen, how on earth would he let such rhetoric come too light? To spout such unqualified nonsense is far more likely to show Brendan the door than any substandard performance.

I think there is nothing Machiavellian going on, and it was, perhaps still is, an intention to have such a rebuild.

Just my opinion of course, and I may well be proved incorrect come close of the window

Fair enough and, with that in mind, it places the pressure further on Brendan as I was alluding to.

He's obviously cleared the decks with the higher ups, as a good manager should do, and has got all the requisite authorities. So where are the incoming staff? We've 4 days until we're actually playing pre-season. It's too late and, given there's nothing amiss going on, Brendan hasn't acted in the way I should expect him to. We've signed nobody and leaving it late won't work. 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

2 in 5 out I reckon

In:

LCB

RW

Out:

Praet

Perez

Soumare

Soyuncu

Hamza

The minimum I’d hope for, especially if those two were Colwill and Madueke. Still think we’ll see Lookman in as well, but those 3 in with 5 out and it wouldn’t be the worst outcome for us imo. 

And then any offers for any of Amartey, Mendy or Iheanacho I expect we’d entertain. 

2 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

The minimum I’d hope for, especially if those two were Colwill and Madueke. Still think we’ll see Lookman in as well, but those 3 in with 5 out and it wouldn’t be the worst outcome for us imo. 

And then any offers for any of Amartey, Mendy or Iheanacho I expect we’d entertain. 

I suppose we are still quite weak in midfield though if we do suffer any injuries again? Badly need Braybrooke to bulk up and have a years experience and he could well be the missing ticket there.

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

2 in 5 out I reckon

In:

LCB

RW

Out:

Praet

Perez

Soumare

Soyuncu

Hamza

In:

LCB - Colwill (loan)

RW - CDK - £30m

Out:

Praet - £7m

Perez - £5m/loan

Soumare - loan

Soyuncu - £10-15m

Hamza - loan

I think Brendan has said, at the conclusion of last season, he informed a number of fringe players they should find a new club as opportunities would be limited this year.

So Is the real issue / failing this Summer not that we haven’t brought Glover in but Rudkin hasn’t facilitated outgoings? Should we have accepted we would need to subsidise deals to clear the decks?

There is speculation around Praet (Fiorentina) Perez (Real Betis and Soyuncu (Inter) so we could still see trading but it appears we will do our business late.

Whilst not ideal I would accept late deals so long as incomings actually improve the first XI.

• Like 2

I suspect Rudkin is part of the problem.  He's renowned to be difficult and pedantic to deal with. Whatever one thinks of agents several feel this. With no sign of our recruitment man arriving from Southampton a shambles is beginning to unravel 

• Haha 2

Realise that there is still a month to go until the start of the season but thus far this really has to be the most underwhelming summer transfer window that we've had in years. There are no concrete links to anyone. And all this after we were promised a rebuild.....

• Like 1