Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

6 hours ago, Shane said:

Left footed Brazilian. Gerrimin.

Dont know... hes barely played any senior football here in England, not to mention Man City would be out of their minds if they gave us any buy option on him.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2022 at 11:19, Bordersfox said:

Best highlights reel of the summer so far.  That's what my transfer window has come to. Rating reels.  With the neck tattoo and hair I was immediately prejudiced in the way tedious middle aged men are.  But what is not to like about this lad.  Pacey, skillful, fearsome shot and can pick a pass.  

No tangible links I assume?   Of course not.

Get him ducking in! 

Apparently he has a release fee of only €8,000,000. Flamengo are monitoring him and his contract runs out in December 2023. 

If we want a Youri replacement, we should look at Enzo Fernandez as well. It might help bringing two Argentine Under 21 internationals in together. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sly said:

Apparently he has a release fee of only €8,000,000. Flamengo are monitoring him and his contract runs out in December 2023. 

If we want a Youri replacement, we should look at Enzo Fernandez as well. It might help bringing two Argentine Under 21 internationals in together. 

Looks like Benfica already bagged Fernandez...

Guest Col city fan
3 minutes ago, HarryDee8 said:

Why are city taking so long to get any deals done?

Because:

a. We haven’t any money (we spent it all on the training ground)

b. Rodgers thinks his squad is adequate

c. We aren’t in Europe next season 

d. We have a squad full of very very average players that we can’t shift ‘the deadwood’ even if we wanted to.

There… an honest, no bollox answer

👍

11 minutes ago, Sly said:

The squad we have, when all players are fit, will challenge and give the top 4 teams a good game. 

We’ve less games to play, so in theory, lower risk of injuries. 

We’ll do okay this year, even without signing any new players. 

While I do agree that the squad is good enough already, we're one injury away from being a laughing stock defending set pieces again.

Also, standing still often means going backwards in this division with other teams making additions. Making signings also pushes existing players and increases morale by showing the existing squad the direction the club is going in.

So potentially by not signing anyone, we could slump and become a squad that's worse than the sum of its parts rather than better.

I'm not normally such a pessimist but I do feel we need at least one or two bodies in to challenge. CB would be my first choice just so it's less likely that Amartey, Soyuncu and possibly Vestergaard get near the team. After that would be the problem RW spot.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

While I do agree that the squad is good enough already, we're one injury away from being a laughing stock defending set pieces again.

Also, standing still often means going backwards in this division with other teams making additions. Making signings also pushes existing players and increases morale by showing the existing squad the direction the club is going in.

So potentially by not signing anyone, we could slump and become a squad that's worse than the sum of its parts rather than better.

I'm not normally such a pessimist but I do feel we need at least one or two bodies in to challenge. CB would be my first choice just so it's less likely that Amartey, Soyuncu and possibly Vestergaard get near the team. After that would be the problem RW spot.

Yeah I agree with all of this. We clearly have a good starting 11 with a few decent rotation options which will get us top6/7/8 if they all remain fit. However, as soon as we get an injury we’d struggle. 

I was listening to a podcast recently and they were talking about the importance of new signings and how they lift the morale of the other players, they’re all excited to see what they can do etc. it obviously also pushes players to perform better if they sign players in the same position. 

Im sure we will sign players, everyone at the club recognises a need to and they will sort something out, but it might not be as “refreshing” as they first hoped.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Yeah I agree with all of this. We clearly have a good starting 11 with a few decent rotation options which will get us top6/7/8 if they all remain fit. However, as soon as we get an injury we’d struggle. 

I was listening to a podcast recently and they were talking about the importance of new signings and how they lift the morale of the other players, they’re all excited to see what they can do etc. it obviously also pushes players to perform better if they sign players in the same position. 

Im sure we will sign players, everyone at the club recognises a need to and they will sort something out, but it might not be as “refreshing” as they first hoped.

I’m trying to be relaxed and rationale about the whole situation as the window doesn’t close for over a month.

Here’s hoping that this window we also sort out next summers contract like Madders etc too, to avoid this panic again.

Can we not get Cags back into beast mode? 
There is definitely a player in there and would love to see how he gets on if he had someone helping his mental aspects of the game….I guess, it’s all about how hungry he is to improve his game and how much effort we want to put in him if he won’t sign a new contract?! 

Edited by SafewayFox

Word is Barca will let Alex Collado go on a free if - as expected - they win the Rapinha sweepstakes.  23, left-footed, has played considerable RW as well as attacking mid.  Might be an interesting player to take a flyer on.

• Like 2

Been from aust , I am not up on how the big clubs can spent what they like yet us and other little club have to abide to a code ( not sure what it’s call ) . 
or is it just that TOP refuses to put his hand in his pocket. 
because we really need at least 2-3 new players . If anyone can clarify this for me , cheers . 

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

With every year we fail to really strengthen the starting XI, eventually we will regress. Yes, we have a bunch of very good players but it's so finely balanced with us and some of them are well in their 30's and have suffered terrible injuries which we are a completely different team without them.

Let's not claim we don't need to strengthen, we don't need a huge rebuild yet but we have to be proactive in our squad changes, like we had to fix up after 2016/17.

Is it really “eventually”, Ric?  We undeniably regressed last season on every level.

4 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Is it really “eventually”, Ric?  We undeniably regressed last season on every level.

Every level?

I swear we outscored most clubs in the end?

I have been very critical about last season but we still scored goals albeit at the tail end of the season BUT that was with our starting 11 players coming back in - so a big positive.

We definitely need to improve the starting 11 (Hey RW) but it’s mainly about taking hits on average squad players….I’d much rather have a hungry academy player on the bench than Jannik/Hamza who are over-paid in relation to their importance to the squad - it’s just a lot easier said than done hence why we’re at this crossroads with no activity going on.

10 minutes ago, Bptiger said:

Been from aust , I am not up on how the big clubs can spent what they like yet us and other little club have to abide to a code ( not sure what it’s call ) . 
or is it just that TOP refuses to put his hand in his pocket. 
because we really need at least 2-3 new players . If anyone can clarify this for me , cheers . 

...we do have countless posters on here which have stipulated the reasons why we find ourselves in this position!!!

1. Revenue to wages - for the big clubs. Bigger fan base,  selling more merchandise, regular Champions League,  keeps the money flowing in.

2. FFP - we are allowed to exceed the threshold, so long as our owners can prove they have the ability to cover the overspend to the tune of £30m. This was to cover the covid period, our aim is to be self sustainable. 

3. Wages to Revenue- we are bloated to an extent and have too many players on our books, but at present we are unable to offload. Taking a player off the books opens up a registration spot, as well as deals with the wages situation.