Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

More deluded stuff on here. 

Yep. I think we'll struggle and I'm not Rodgers biggest fan, but if we're not spending a penny then we shouldn't really expect top 6 all the time.

7th or 8th would be a fantastic season for us, aslong as we're not 16th in December, Rodgers will be ok.

1 hour ago, leicesterseddon said:

I think part of the reason though the financial situation is tight is because Rodgers has spent money badly before, thus leaving us with little room to manoeuvre, particularly regarding salaries where we are arguably pushing the envelope right now.

The owners might feel, with some justification, that if Rodgers wants money to spend he should make it himself first by offloading some of the dross he has signed during his tenure.

They may also want the option of sacking him mid-season during the World Cup if results are poor, and therefore not be inclined to give him money to spend this summer.

Hell of a lot of responsibility being put on Brendan here for incomings and outgoings? Exactly what does the Director of Recruitment and Rudkin do if its all on Brendan? 

Brendan's faults in this area is how he handles players he might not want.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

So you don't think it is the clubs aim to finish in the top six despite the chairman literally saying that is the target on multiple occasions? 

Aim, yes. Realistic expectation, probably not.

41 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

But that's never been their model with us. Their model has been to invest as little of their own money as possible, finance the vast vast majority of the clubs spending either by selling players or loans against (presumed) future earnings. It's worked a treat for both parties, we've sped ahead as a club and they've turned a 30m asset into a 500m asset barely spending a penny of their own cash. 

That's pretty much what I said in the sentence following the one you quoted. 

14 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

So you don't think it is the clubs aim to finish in the top six despite the chairman literally saying that is the target on multiple occasions? 

The club can aim for it by all means but hold the manager to the expectation of achieving it? No

The big six have at least £100 million head start in revenue. You have to keep a realism because you are not going to attract good players and good managers if you hold them to an unrealistic goal. 

That’s before we have ‘twenty foot gorilla’ that is Newcastle 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

Doubt they aren't backing him financially because they may decide to sack him, January is a horrendous time to buy with inflated prices. Really if they didn't trust him with the budget and have a lack of confidence, he should have been sacked at the end of the season.

Still 3 years on his contract so can’t see him going anywhere unless results fall off a cliff

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

People massively underestimate how rare it is for a 'non-Big 6' club to break into the top 6 or top 4.

Looking at the last 34 seasons, going back to 1988:

• 204 Top 6 places, with 58 going to a non-Big 6 club (28%)
  • 136 Top 4 places, with 24 going to non-Big 6 club (18%)

Looking at the last 20 seasons, going back to 2002:

• 120 Top 6 places, with 21 going to a non-Big 6 club (18%)
  • 80 Top 4 places, with 3 going to non-Big 6 club (4%)

Heck, there's only been a single instance of a non-Big 6 club finishing in the Top 4 in the last 17 years - us when we won the title!

We know there's 6 clubs who objectively far outstrip our resources. Now add Newcastle to that list. We've been outspent by clubs like Villa, Everton, Wolves for the last 2-3 years. Finishing 5th twice, then the FA Cup and then 8th was a massive overachievement. 

Completely agree with the Big 6 statement, when looking at other clubs outside of the Big 6 it’s not right to solely look at transfer spend in isolation though as we “spend” a lot of our revenue on wages, it feels like we have tipped over the scale of over paying players who aren’t commensurate with the salaries they are earning here (e.g, Hamza). That is a choice the club makes which impacts our ability to move in the transfer market, I’m not necessarily saying it’s right or wrong but it should be acknowledged.

Jordan Blackwell from the LM today reiterating need to move players out  and I haven’t seen any strong links apart from Youri (which looks a late deal). Appears clear that the Club has a big issue with peripheral players on large wages who few want.

looks like we may need to reintegrate likes of Praet and hope likes of Ben Nelson can come in and make an impact.

Edited by JimmyC74

18 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Jordan Blackwell from the LM today reiterating need to move players out  and I haven’t seen any strong links apart from Youri (which looks a late deal). Appears clear that the Club has a big issue with peripheral players on large wages who few want.

looks like we may need to reintegrate likes of Praet and hope likes of Ben Nelson can come in and make an impact.

Praet will go, Mendy will go if we want him to, Iheanacho would have suitors, as would Soumare and possibly even Perez. Its Hamza, Vestergaard, Bertrand who we will struggle with.

I'm so shocked nobody is in for Soyuncu. He's on 45k a week, he's the perfect age and enough about his game that plenty will be convinced they can improve him. He's been in the Bundesliga and PL Team of the Season and available for £15-20m. Madness

• Like 3

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Praet will go, Mendy will go if we want him to, Iheanacho would have suitors, as would Soumare and possibly even Perez. Its Hamza, Vestergaard, Bertrand who we will struggle with.

I'm so shocked nobody is in for Soyuncu. He's on 45k a week, he's the perfect age and enough about his game that plenty will be convinced they can improve him. He's been in the Bundesliga and PL Team of the Season and available for £15-20m. Madness

I really don’t get it either. I would have thought a number of clubs would be queuing up. Perplexing.

16 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I stand by my statement earlier. If we can finish 8th after having a “poor” season, then we’ve proven we will be fine.

This club has something very different at its core than most other clubs, and time and time again we’ve proven doubters wrong. 

I think we’re going to have an excellent season, even if we don’t sign anyone. This is an outstanding club, run properly. We’ve done things we’ve no right to, and we will continue to upset the apple cart. 

I still think we will finish 6th and win a domestic trophy. 

Too much negativity, we are going to win all of the domestic trophies, womens team as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I thought there would be more interest in Cags. I saw Inter had an interest subject to selling Škriniar -   But not many links beyond this. It appears his performance in the Euros and last season has really hurt his chances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

People massively underestimate how rare it is for a 'non-Big 6' club to break into the top 6 or top 4.

Looking at the last 34 seasons, going back to 1988:

• 204 Top 6 places, with 58 going to a non-Big 6 club (28%)
  • 136 Top 4 places, with 24 going to non-Big 6 club (18%)

Looking at the last 20 seasons, going back to 2002:

• 120 Top 6 places, with 21 going to a non-Big 6 club (18%)
  • 80 Top 4 places, with 3 going to non-Big 6 club (4%)

Heck, there's only been a single instance of a non-Big 6 club finishing in the Top 4 in the last 17 years - us when we won the title!

We know there's 6 clubs who objectively far outstrip our resources. Now add Newcastle to that list. We've been outspent by clubs like Villa, Everton, Wolves for the last 2-3 years. Finishing 5th twice, then the FA Cup and then 8th was a massive overachievement. 

The percentages are probably even smaller again when you factor in that a big 6 in the 1990s-mid 2000s would include a rotating Newcastle / Leeds / Villa / Everton rather than Man City and Spurs.

57 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Everyone saw him looking like a donkey in the Euros that's why.

Edited by Fightforever

Perhaps it's as much down to the perceived quality any interested parties would need to be at, rather than a lack of interest.

If West Ham were interested for example, he probably doesn't hold interest in that kind of move, so no offer is made.

He's possibly holding out for too big a move for us to get any realistic interest in him.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Maybe there has been interest, but the playing is holding out for a better deal by virtue of seeing his contract out.

With the state of the art facilities here, I’m sure it’s not the worst place to see out a season,  even if he is s then ostracised for his decisions.

Hypothetical of course.

Morgan Gibbs-White would be a good bit of business surely? Young English talent, seems to fit in the maddison mould signing. Also has a decent amount of pace and trickery that could be utilised on the right. Wants to leave. Surely the kind of deal we should be looking at. 

1 minute ago, Clarkey123 said:

Morgan Gibbs-White would be a good bit of business surely? Young English talent, seems to fit in the maddison mould signing. Also has a decent amount of pace and trickery that could be utilised on the right. Wants to leave. Surely the kind of deal we should be looking at. 

Saw that they want something like £30m, which seems a bit much IMO.