Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

Lookman impressed me enough today for me to get off the fence and say he’s worth making permanent.

We then need a skilful right winger - Madueke , although I also feel Brennan Johnson is a no brainer in that position

Dominant CB - Maxence Lacroix from Wolfsburg? I’m even getting more tempted by Tarkowski

And a midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and play - Billy Gilmour?

2 hours ago, -sodapop said:

Is it crazy to suggest we need to be looking for a keeper to challenge Kasper's spot?

There is an argument for retaining Schmeichel and moving on Ward and Jakupovic.  Iversen is already a top championship keeper.  We have several young keepers for the third keeper.

On 19/02/2022 at 14:24, Raw Dykes said:

I think BR may have been forced to accept that our recruiment team can spot a player better than he can, based on Bertrand and Vestergaard. If he's staying, I hope that he's not allowed to make any more mistakes like those in the transfer market.

Have Vestergaard and Bertrand been confirmed as Rodgers transfer picks?

8 hours ago, majaco said:

There is an argument for retaining Schmeichel and moving on Ward and Jakupovic.  Iversen is already a top championship keeper.  We have several young keepers for the third keeper.

I think we keep Iversen playing out on loan until he replaces Kasper.

Is Iversen really as good as we’re suggesting here? I’ve honestly no idea how he’s doing but I would be very surprised if he’s the level we need. 

I agree with the earlier statement that we probably should look for another keeper, be that Iversen or someone else. Kasper really seems to be quite bad these days. Whilst capable of pulling off great saves and having good games, the stats indicate he’s still conceding more than he should based on the quality of shots faced. He’s awful at coming for crosses, when teams play us they really crowd that 6yard box and I think that is down to kasper a inability to get to things.

Hes also not a good sweeper, which is quite key for a team that play a high line like ours, and it’s partly why I think we’re so vulnerable from counters. 

And then there’s his distribution, which we can all agree is pretty useless. 

He’s been an unbelievable keeper for us throughout our time, but it feels like we’ve outgrown him a bit, similar to kingy. He’s expressed a decision to play champions league again, so if he moves on this summer for that then it might be best for all parties. 

• Like 1

@ScrumpyJack I can't remember exactly what Tanner said, but it did sound like he thinks the club have learnt a lesson and will listen to the scouts more than Rodgers now. If BR is staying, I don't think he'll have as much say in transfers as he had before. Whether the noise around Congerton leaving lends weight to this, I don't know, but it can't be a bad thing.

I don’t think this will be the summer we sell Kasper. He is contracted until 2023, and I think then will be a good time for both to part ways.

If we are having a bit of an overhaul this summer, the likes of Kasper, Vardy and Albrighton will be key in keeping continuity and leadership in a changing squad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dusty said:

Is Iversen really as good as we’re suggesting here? I’ve honestly no idea how he’s doing but I would be very surprised if he’s the level we need. 

I agree with the earlier statement that we probably should look for another keeper, be that Iversen or someone else. Kasper really seems to be quite bad these days. Whilst capable of pulling off great saves and having good games, the stats indicate he’s still conceding more than he should based on the quality of shots faced. He’s awful at coming for crosses, when teams play us they really crowd that 6yard box and I think that is down to kasper a inability to get to things.

Hes also not a good sweeper, which is quite key for a team that play a high line like ours, and it’s partly why I think we’re so vulnerable from counters. 

And then there’s his distribution, which we can all agree is pretty useless. 

He’s been an unbelievable keeper for us throughout our time, but it feels like we’ve outgrown him a bit, similar to kingy. He’s expressed a decision to play champions league again, so if he moves on this summer for that then it might be best for all parties. 

The fact the club has made considerable efforts to keep getting him loan moves, with him stepping up a level each time highlights the clubs plans for him I think. 

Additionally Iversen appears happy to keep going out on loan, which probably suggests the club have outlined his pathway to eventually become our number 1.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

If we're having to be clever and (reasonably cheap) again, I wonder if we could tempt Matheus Pereira back from the middle east.

Not really set the world alight over there and I know we were interested this summer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

The fact the club has made considerable efforts to keep getting him loan moves, with him stepping up a level each time highlights the clubs plans for him I think. 

Additionally Iversen appears happy to keep going out on loan, which probably suggests the club have outlined his pathway to eventually become our number 1.

Regards to the first paragraph tho, could you say it’s similar to the Sowah loans? He did terrifically well in his final loan move before we sold him for £9m which is a good bit of income for the club. It could be beneficial if we did the same here with Iversen, selling to one of the promoted clubs etc? Just a thought anyway 

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

Regards to the first paragraph tho, could you say it’s similar to the Sowah loans? He did terrifically well in his final loan move before we sold him for £9m which is a good bit of income for the club. It could be beneficial if we did the same here with Iversen, selling to one of the promoted clubs etc? Just a thought anyway 

I think Sowah was slightly different in that we had no choice but to loan him to Leuven for 3 years for him to have a chance for a work permit

With Iversen I think it is a bit different because they have improved his loan clubs each season - League Two, League One, Belgian League / Championship

Got given one of the longest contracts we have ever given out as well

Just seems like there is a bit of an actual plan in place for him that looks it could well line up with Kasper leaving

I think he will possibly have 1 more year out on loan dependant on what happens with Kasper and Ward in the Summer

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I think Sowah was slightly different in that we had no choice but to loan him to Leuven for 3 years for him to have a chance for a work permit

With Iversen I think it is a bit different because they have improved his loan clubs each season - League Two, League One, Belgian League / Championship

Got given one of the longest contracts we have ever given out as well

Just seems like there is a bit of an actual plan in place for him that looks it could well line up with Kasper leaving

I think he will possibly have 1 more year out on loan dependant on what happens with Kasper and Ward in the Summer

Ideally a prem club, or one of the championship clubs coming up this year might take a punt on him, if not to a promotion challenging championship side next season. 

I think people often expect too much to happen in the summer, and I think with what's been said in the press recently that may be even more the case this summer. We clearly need a few additions and to get rid of a few, but it won't be the overhaul I think some are expecting. I think how many we bring in really depends on who we are able to shift.

This is how I think we'll set up in August. It's not necessarily what I want, just what I think is likely.

Schmeichel / Ward / Iverson?

Ricardo / Castagne               Evans / Fofana / Soyuncu /A Another / Amartey             Thomas / JJ

Wilf / Soumare/ KDH / A Another

Albrighton / A Another          Madders / Nacho             Lookman / Barnes

Vards / Daka 

That's 24, so it leaves one more spot for a youngster or additional depth most likely at CB (if Cags goes), or perhaps CM/CAM I think. 

I don't think we should really be banking on using Amartey as CB depth, but he's a utility player who does ok there and I can't see us getting rid of him.

Offload Bertand, Vestergaard, Perez, Hamza and Mendy. Obviously Youri is gone too.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I think people often expect too much to happen in the summer, and I think with what's been said in the press recently that may be even more the case this summer. We clearly need a few additions and to get rid of a few, but it won't be the overhaul I think some are expecting. I think how many we bring in really depends on who we are able to shift.

This is how I think we'll set up in August. It's not necessarily what I want, just what I think is likely.

Schmeichel / Ward / Iverson?

Ricardo / Castagne               Evans / Fofana / Soyuncu /A Another / Amartey             Thomas / JJ

Wilf / Soumare/ KDH / A Another

Albrighton / A Another          Madders / Nacho             Lookman / Barnes

Vards / Daka 

That's 24, so it leaves one more spot for a youngster or additional depth most likely at CB (if Cags goes), or perhaps CM/CAM I think. 

I don't think we should really be banking on using Amartey as CB depth, but he's a utility player who does ok there and I can't see us getting rid of him.

Offload Bertand, Vestergaard, Perez, Hamza and Mendy. Obviously Youri is gone too.

Pretty much agree with the above other than Soyuncu will definitely be off and I think the club would be open to offers for Castagne also, so a young understudy to Ricardo (Ramsay from Aberdeen ?) could be on the cards

• Like 1