Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

1 hour ago, ceebeefox said:

All these names! And not a British one amongst them. What’s wrong with the Cloughie adage “ your a centre half son, your job is to head it and kick it, anything else is a bonus!” The Championship’s full of them for god sake. You can see how centre halves trying to play has got us. They are now our pivot! Too far back! If we’d had a header and kicker we’d still be in Europe!

Because we are a possession based team and we need defenders who can play out from the back. There’s zero point getting a defender who is a “head it and kick it” type, they just wouldn’t be suitable to the way we play.

There’s defenders in the Football League who would fit our profile of progressive defenders.

Ben Cabango, Rob Dickie, Rob Atkinson, Ronnie Edwards 👍🏻

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Because we are a possession based team and we need defenders who can play out from the back. There’s zero point getting a defender who is a “head it and kick it” type, they just wouldn’t be suitable to the way we play.

There’s defenders in the Football League who would fit our profile of progressive defenders.

Rob Atkinson is the one to watch, Bristol fans love him. Left footed CB, absolute unit and good on the ball.

Signed by Sir Nigel Pearson so he must be decent :scarf:

3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

We not in a position to gamble on an inexperienced CB , we will quite likely be bottom of the PL shortly so a solid veteran for a season or two would be the best option. At the start of this window Mee and Tarkowski were possible , missed out there and that was a mistake.

...Tarkowski was not going to suit the way we play and Mee was a solid CB but we were going to have a "he will do for now" situation as opposed to us looking long term!!!

I am sure we have a list of suitable defenders, that we are looking to bring in, the problem was that Vestergaard was scouted for sometime and we still were unaware of his limitations. 

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Tarkowski was not going to suit the way we play and Mee was a solid CB but we were going to have a "he will do for now" situation as opposed to us looking long term!!!

I am sure we have a list of suitable defenders, that we are looking to bring in, the problem was that Vestergaard was scouted for sometime and we still were unaware of his limitations. 

The current way we play is generally poor so if Tarkowski had encouraged a change I would have been happy with that. I suspect that Vardy, Daka and Barnes would have been happy as well.

Looking through the squad, assuming we won’t register Ricky and Ryan and the younger players are being loaned out, we will have 22

so for now, we can bring three in 

get rid of another (vestergaard/ perez ) and we can bring four in

Edited by st albans fox

I would love us to go for Sarr after his Villa deal collapsed. Todays game once again shows how much we would benefit from some super pace on the right.

I don’t even care that he’s right footed. Actually him stretching on the right, Tim under lapping and Barnes inverting with JJ overlapping would be glorious 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BigGibbo said:

See Ryan Bennett & Vestergaard if you want to know how it would turn out for one of those players playing Rodgers brand of football.

We need to stop buying square pegs for round holes. Or get rid of the A Hole in charge.

I agree in Rodger’s system they’ve got to be quick and obviously Bennett and Vesty aren’t, but there’s rugged and pacey centre halves in the lower leagues used to the pace and physicality of English football who’d be less of a risk than another foreign unknown.

Of course if we went down another route and changed Rodgers a new system could  suit what we’ve already got.

We won the league by ten points with two centre halves who couldn’t run! And what an exciting brand of football we played.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kingfox said:

Then it’s preferable to have English league battle hardened than untested foreign talent surely?

7 minutes ago, ceebeefox said:

I agree in Rodger’s system they’ve got to be quick and obviously Bennett and Vesty aren’t, but there’s rugged and pacey centre halves in the lower leagues used to the pace and physicality of English football who’d be less of a risk than another foreign unknown.

Of course if we went down another route and changed Rodgers a new system could  suit what we’ve already got.

We won the league by ten points with two centre halves who couldn’t run! And what an exciting brand of football we played.

They also need to be able to play out from the back which is where a lot of them will come up short, but yes I agree with the latter. 

We need an interceptor. The defenders we have are alright at blocking and tackling but we need a 2019 Johnny Evans again. Someone who will intercept passes and be proactive.

Lacroix would be perfect for us.

He has the most interceptions at Center back in the Bundesliga and one of the most pressures in the defensive 3rd meaning no Amartey situations where he lets the defender get an easy long shot because of a lack of closing down on the edge of the box.

We have been linked to Akanji and he is not good enough bad at interceptions and terrible in the air in an already less physical league. 

Tapsoba is ok good at interceptions but he is bad in the air and more of a Maguire type center back when it comes to style of play. He isn't someone who will stop us concedeing goals. 

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 2