Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

Hearing some of the names that have been floating around recently, I was wondering what an ideal window would look like for most fans on here?

Looking at some of the players we've been linked with:

- Levi Colwill

- Calvin Ramsay

- Alex Scott

- Han-Noah Massengo

- Chukwubuike Adamu

Certainly seems like there's a strong desire to fill the squad with young, talented players - and this bunch would give the spine of the team a complete refresh. Can we actually afford it though? Surely looking at about £100m for that lot.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Hearing some of the names that have been floating around recently, I was wondering what an ideal window would look like for most fans on here?

- Levi Colwill

- Calvin Ramsay

- Alex Scott

- Han-Noah Massengo

- Chukwubuike Adamu

Certainly seems like there's a strong desire to fill the squad with young, talented players - and this bunch would give the spine of the team a complete refresh. Can we actually afford it though? Surely looking at about £100m for that lot.

Selling Perez for £1 million will be a start ,all we need is someone to offer him a four year contract at £75 grand a week. I'm not holding my breath mind.

40 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

- Levi Colwill

- Calvin Ramsay

- Alex Scott

- Han-Noah Massengo

- Chukwubuike Adamu

Only 1 of those is good enough right now to improve our starting XI and that's Colwill. I want to see a few players of this ilk brought in but we need to be careful.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Only 1 of those is good enough right now to improve our starting XI and that's Colwill. I want to see a few players of this ilk brought in but we need to be careful.

I think one thing this season has shown us is that our strength in depth is pretty embarrassing. Once everyone's back to full fitness, and maybe if we take up the option on Lookman, we've got a pretty solid squad, and buying in young players like these will definitely enhance it. I do agree that we need to balance improving our starting 11 and rebuilding for the future as well.

2 hours ago, indierich06 said:

I think one thing this season has shown us is that our strength in depth is pretty embarrassing. Once everyone's back to full fitness, and maybe if we take up the option on Lookman, we've got a pretty solid squad, and buying in young players like these will definitely enhance it. I do agree that we need to balance improving our starting 11 and rebuilding for the future as well.

I'm not saying our squad depth is amazing but the best way to improve your squad is to improve your XI. Our last 3 summer transfer windows have been about improving the squad and not necessarily the starting XI. It's been said that the reason we missed out on top 4 both seasons was the squad ran out of steam and injuries to key players so we needed better quality in reserve but it's the same thing. 

Ultimately whatever the signing, they need to make an impact. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indierich06 said:

Depend who you are comparing us too.

We have had loads of injuries, almost a 1/3 of the squad missing all season and we have still managed to take as many points as they likes of Villa, Southampton, Palace. 

For me it about adding a little extra quality in key areas, a quality RW who a game changer who add 10-15 goal contributions needs to be priority number 1, another creative player who can play across the front line would be useful.

Then maybe a CB if Soyuncu goes and a CM if Tielemans goes. 

Big issue is its hard for a club with our budget is being able to buy ready made players who are better then our starting 11 (When they are all fit), other then the RW area which is a real weakness. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, indierich06 said:

Our strength in depth has probably saved us from relegation this season.

If we had the same injuries pre 2019 we would have been done for.

Very few clubs outside the Top 6 would have coped with the struggles we've had since March 2020.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Man.Utd. paid £75 million for Sancho and so far, so f*****g average. Wide players are the biggest gamble you can take. One good one , five duds and I don't think we can afford that.

I bet strikers have a worse ratio. I've had this conversation with you before.

Look at all the wingers that transferred to the PL this summer and January and I can assure you it's not only one fifth that been any good. 

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Man.Utd. paid £75 million for Sancho and so far, so f*****g average. Wide players are the biggest gamble you can take. One good one , five duds and I don't think we can afford that.

.. we can see that he was on fire before he came to United!!!

It is the environment and the way they have chosen to use him is why he is struggling. He has not suddenly become a dud overnight, 

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. we can see that he was on fire before he came to United!!!

It is the environment and the way they have chosen to use him is why he is struggling. He has not suddenly become a dud overnight, 

He's not a dud but its the overrating that annoys me. So many of these young wide men only have a couple of good seasons in them. You get drawn in , spend a fortune and regret it at your leisure. Most of them are poor in defense as well and are rarely versatile enough to be used in another position. 

1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

We missed a trick not going for Olise from reading! Looks a great prospect! 

Olise, Bowen - we've missed plenty of good championship players. Really hope we don't make the same mistake with Brennan Johnson

• Like 3

11 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

He's not a dud but its the overrating that annoys me. So many of these young wide men only have a couple of good seasons in them. You get drawn in , spend a fortune and regret it at your leisure. Most of them are poor in defense as well and are rarely versatile enough to be used in another position. 

I'm not sure Sancho is the best example really.

Firstly, he's actually playing alright now. And secondly, Man Utd's approach to signing players and then finding a system to suit those players is one of the least joined-up approaches in the league.

They literally took Ronaldo back so Man City wouldn't get him and the way they're being forced to play is negating not just Sancho but Fernandes,  Rashford, Cavani and Martial (now gone temporarily).

In the right environment, Sancho will be a superstar. If Utd don't ruin him first.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I'm not sure Sancho is the best example really.

Firstly, he's actually playing alright now. And secondly, Man Utd's approach to signing players and then finding a system to suit those players is one of the least joined-up approaches in the league.

They literally took Ronaldo back so Man City wouldn't get him and the way they're being forced to play is negating not just Sancho but Fernandes,  Rashford, Cavani and Martial (now gone temporarily).

In the right environment, Sancho will be a superstar. If Utd don't ruin him first.

He has the ability that has been shown in Germany but you put a 21 y.o. on £250 grand a week and the lifestyle temptations can take away your edge. This is a major problem for younger players ,so many promise so much but after they get these massive contracts fall away. Self discipline is often lacking.

Edited by An Sionnach

18 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He has the ability that has been shown in Germany but you put a 21 y.o. on £250 grand a week and the lifestyle temptations can take away your edge. This is a major problem for younger players ,so many promise so much but after they get these massive contracts fall away. Self discipline is often lacking.

I agree that can be an issue but it doesn't necessarily mean that's what's happened/happening with Sancho.

The guy had the self-assuredness and drive to move to Germany at 17 for first-team football and to learn his craft in a men's team rather than a youth team.

The prevailing assumption about Utd's players that is made by a lot of pundits is that the players don't like hard work. That may be the case, but I'd hazard a guess that Sancho isn't one of them.

I may be wrong, of course. He will have been on a very good wage at Dortmund but the astronomical sum he's on at Utd could have dulled that drive and determination, I don't know. Or maybe he's slacking off to fit in with the other prima donnas there. The fact that he's actually one of their top performers right now, though, would lead me to believe that he's still got the fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

... you need a lot of self discipline to get this far!!!

To even make the leagues, there would have been a lot that you would have given up in order to fulfill your dreams.

While your mates are going to parties and have the weekend to do whatever they wish, you are training in the midweek and playing on a Saturday.

There are countless technically better players out there, who are not playing in football leagues, because they do not have the self discipline to do the things they need to do, in order to succeed in the professional game.

If I recall wasn't there another Charlton brother who was said to be better than Bobby and Jack. Just talent on its own, is never enough.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Being linked with Scott Chegg.

Hes a bit of  rough diamond but think Rodgers will nurture him well.

Rudkin is making a meal out of negotiations I hear.

Does anyone think Bale would be realistic? He’s leaving Real on a free in the summer. Would defo take him here but would he come? Or would we be even interested? 

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Being linked with Scott Chegg.

Hes a bit of  rough diamond but think Rodgers will nurture him well.

Rudkin is making a meal out of negotiations I hear.

I read that and thought we were signing a Scotch Egg.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bert said:

Does anyone think Bale would be realistic? He’s leaving Real on a free in the summer. Would defo take him here but would he come? Or would we be even interested? 

He might be interested in buying the club.