Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

Finances, whether we like it or not, ultimate decides league positions generally....With the odd rare occasion we know about.

We far outspend the sides at the lower end of the division, but are likewise considerably behind the 'Big 6'.

To bridge the gap, we have to continue to recruit well, especially targeting younger players.

For some reason, in the summer, we decided to spend somewhere between £25-30 million (Including wages) on a 29 year old 5th choice centre back, and a 32 year old 5th choice full back....That has to change. Then previously we've spent £30 million on a guy who was playing as a number 10/second striker, but then wanted him on the wing.

It's clear to anyone that those signings are completely against the grain of our usual recruiting. We need a fixed plan, and to stick with it. 

Had we instead brought in two younger signings, we could be looking at the next Justin or Fofana....Or at least having the option of loaning them out and getting them more game time to improve.

This isn't Football Manager, but we've had plenty of opportunities over the last 12-24 months to have had Bowen, Guehi, Spence and Johnson in the squad over Vestergaard, Bertrand, Perez etc. The finances haven't been the issue, it would have been no more expensive, but Rodgers's decisions on who to recruit, has been the issue.

18 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Madueke was injured for 4 months, I still think he's got that aura about him that he's destined to become a top player but so is Johnson. Ideally I'd love us to get both, Johnson is so versatile as well. If we could find £45m to get the pair then we should.

Johnson is likely to be very expensive , there will be a big demand for his services. If we did go in for him ,it might swallow our entire limited budget. He is though very likely to make the step up easily so is less of a risk than Madueke. If Forest come up though he might decide to stop a year with them. He is an intelligent and highly skilled footballer and more than just a wide man and would strengthen our attacking options for sure.

47 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Johnson is likely to be very expensive , there will be a big demand for his services. If we did go in for him ,it might swallow our entire limited budget. He is though very likely to make the step up easily so is less of a risk than Madueke. If Forest come up though he might decide to stop a year with them. He is an intelligent and highly skilled footballer and more than just a wide man and would strengthen our attacking options for sure.

If they get promoted then we won't get him, if they don't come up I think he'll cost £25-30m. He's worth that easily.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Contract expires in 2023 fortunately, so can't see them getting anything north of 20 million. But yes, we won't be the only club in for him. Hopefully, with our facilities and location meaning he can still leave at home will give us a boost in negotiations. 13 goals 7 assists so far.

• Like 2

If we’re funding 3 or 4 players by selling Madders and Youri this will be a mistake . It never works and there are many examples of clubs selling their prized assets and ending up with a struggle to be competitive in the prem .

Spurs spent the Bale money on a pile of nonsense ( exc Eriksen) and what do Southampton to show for losing Mane and Van Dijk ?

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

If we’re funding 3 or 4 players by selling Madders and Youri this will be a mistake . It never works and there are many examples of clubs selling their prized assets and ending up with a struggle to be competitive in the prem .

Spurs spent the Bale money on a pile of nonsense ( exc Eriksen) and what do Southampton to show for losing Mane and Van Dijk ?

This is literally the model we use by selling Maguire, Chilwell extra and using that money to buy more young up and coming talent. We don't have the money to get new talent and not sell one of are best player every season 

2 hours ago, surrifox said:

I think the club has probably learnt from the Tieleman saga, player either signs a new contract before 2 years is up or they have to be sold. 

If Maddison does not sign one this by this summer, he will need to be sold. 

We are going to end up sale Tielemans on the cheap, we can't afford to do the same with Maddison. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, surrifox said:

How else have we been so successful? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, surrifox said:

Let just forget we sold Mahrez, Maguire and Chilwell  :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Let just forget we sold Mahrez, Maguire and Chilwell  :thumbup:

we had no choice with all 3 who had indicated that they were off and in the case of HM I don't think he was particularly indispensible in any case and even less so in the light of the mugging off of Man U. My point is that the sale of Maddison is not a distress sale as he has a long contract and hasn't kicked off therefore he should be part of our future as he is a fine player and will be hard to replace. . 

I do take the point we need to wheel and deal and there may be a decent offer in for him already but using whatever money is generated in a couple of positions isn't guaranteeing success and we have seen with Soumare and to some extent , Daka that decent looking signings aren't necessarily going to provide the same sort of contribution to the side as the departing player. Anyway, its all a matter of opinion I guess.

On 02/04/2022 at 14:14, Ric Flair said:

Madueke was injured for 4 months, I still think he's got that aura about him that he's destined to become a top player but so is Johnson. Ideally I'd love us to get both, Johnson is so versatile as well. If we could find £45m to get the pair then we should.

Just Johnson would be a good start. He will be expensive but he will be a safe bet and we have had a few misses of late. It would be a good move for him and he will get game time which he might not in other teams. He will be expensive but we have done well with the likes of tielemans fofana and Maddison when pushing the boat out for such known prospects. 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2022 at 14:14, Ric Flair said:

Can Johnson play as a striker ?

Wonder if we will go after Ricci again this summer. He is on loan at the moment and though hasn't looked amazing in match ratings he is one of the best U23 CM player in the top 5 leagues in ball progression and is in the top half of U23 CM players in ball winning stats 

Edited by Attywolf

52 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

Just Johnson would be a good start. He will be expensive but he will be a safe bet and we have had a few misses of late. It would be a good move for him and he will get game time which he might not in other teams. He will be expensive but we have done well with the likes of tielemans fofana and Maddison when pushing the boat out for such known prospects. 

He only has a year left on his deal come the summer, if Forest don't come up they'll be in a spot with him!

14 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

I could see him doing very well here. I think he is worth going for. 

He's a decent #10 an'all that would work in a midfield diamond as well. I know he's not left footed which usually puts me right off but I really rate him.

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's a decent #10 an'all that would work in a midfield diamond as well. I know he's not left footed which usually puts me right off but I really rate him.

I think a lot of people get carried away with that idea. Most footballers can use both feet equally well and even if they can’t then they can always go the other way. I really rate him and Djed Spence at forest and he may be attainable too. I’d look into tommy doyle ripping it up at Cardiff too. He would be a great buy if you could prise him away from Man City.  

Just now, Supergray22 said:

I think a lot of people get carried away with that idea. Most footballers can use both feet equally well and even if they can’t then they can always go the other way. I really rate him and Djed Spence at forest and he may be attainable too. I’d look into tommy doyle ripping it up at Cardiff too. He would be a great buy if you could prise him away from Man City.  

Whilst we are dreaming if we do lose youri I’d love us to go all out (to the extent we can) for gallacher. He can do it all in midfield and is a great presser. 

I think a lot depends on what Youri does. 

I think if Youri leaves then the players out will probably be;

Soyuncu 

Kelechi

Vesty

Bertrand

Praet 

Mendy

Youri

Hamza

And possibly Maddison if Arsenal pay the £50m.

In I would like to see;

Tah

Ali Cho

Charles DK

Madueke 

And potentially a CM.

Thing is we need to reinvest in decent players, and I think we can only do this by selling three players that we know we will get the funds for. If Youri stays I think Maddison will be sold, if he goes depending on what we can get for Soyuncu and Kalechi we might be able to do business with that and selling the fringe players. 

8 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think a lot depends on what Youri does. 

I think if Youri leaves then the players out will probably be;

Soyuncu 

Kelechi

Vesty

Bertrand

Praet 

Mendy

Youri

Hamza

And possibly Maddison if Arsenal pay the £50m.

In I would like to see;

Tah

Ali Cho

Charles DK

Madueke 

And potentially a CM.

Thing is we need to reinvest in decent players, and I think we can only do this by selling three players that we know we will get the funds for. If Youri stays I think Maddison will be sold, if he goes depending on what we can get for Soyuncu and Kalechi we might be able to do business with that and selling the fringe players. 

Interesting , selling nine senior players in one go might be a little risky I would have thought. It would though leave us with Vardy, Evans, Albrighton and Schmeichel , total age 136.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 1

We need to plan ahead for when Vardy, Schmeichel and Tielemans are gone or winding down. We need to build a team around a new GK, little Wes, Ndidi, Ricardo, Barnes, Maddison and Natcho. Though Natcho does need to improve his first touch qualities a lot. If we can gain 7 fit and stable week in week out players then we will be in a good position to stabilise to build. Otherwise, this faltering season could become more enduring than just a dip. 

1 hour ago, Bazly said:

We need to plan ahead for when Vardy, Schmeichel and Tielemans are gone or winding down. We need to build a team around a new GK, little Wes, Ndidi, Ricardo, Barnes, Maddison and Natcho. Though Natcho does need to improve his first touch qualities a lot. If we can gain 7 fit and stable week in week out players then we will be in a good position to stabilise to build. Otherwise, this faltering season could become more enduring than just a dip. 

Iversen, little Wes, Ndidi, Justin, Barnes, KDH and Daka is most likely the plan to build around 

Edited by Attywolf

I imagine this summers plans hinge slightly on whether we get Europe or not in terms of squad size. Although I don’t think our squad overhaul will be as extensive as some may think or like. 

I would hope that we could realistically achieve c. £100m from the sale of the below players who are either seemingly unwilling to sign a new contract or surplus to requirements. I think we may still be stuck with some deadwood ie. Vestergaard and Bertrand as I can’t believe anyone else would touch them. 

Iheanacho / Tielemans / Soyuncu / Praet / Perez

However, a £100m war chest would allow us to target a few quality additions. At a minimum a CB, CM, RW and versatile forward, which would again probably come out to about £100m spend, breaking even for the window.

In: 

FW - CDK 

RW - Madueke / Tete / Tsygankov / Harrison / McNeil / Johnson

CM - Dahoud / Aouar / RLC / Witsel / Berge

CB - Shlotterbeck / Colwill / Richards / Niakhaté / Ginter 

Edited by Foxes96