Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

5 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

I imagine this summers plans hinge slightly on whether we get Europe or not in terms of squad size. Although I don’t think our squad overhaul will be as extensive as some may think or like. 

I would hope that we could realistically achieve c. £100m from the sale of the below players who are either seemingly unwilling to sign a new contract or surplus to requirements. I think we may still be stuck with some deadwood ie. Vestergaard and Bertrand as I can’t believe anyone else would touch them. 

Iheanacho / Tielemans / Soyuncu / Praet / Perez

However, a £100m war chest would allow us to target a few quality additions. At a minimum a CB, CM, RW and versatile forward, which would again probably come out to about £100m spend, breaking even for the window.

In: 

FW - CDK 

RW - Madueke / Tete / Tsygankov / Harrison / McNeil

CM - Dahoud / Aouar / RLC / Witsel / Berge

CB - Shlotterbeck / Colwill / Richards / Niakhaté / Ginter 

Missed Brennan Johnson off the list. 

Genuine question, given he’s a Nottingham lad and played for Forest all his career do people think he would even be willing to come here? 

Genuine question

1 hour ago, Foxes96 said:

Missed Brennan Johnson off the list. 

Genuine question, given he’s a Nottingham lad and played for Forest all his career do people think he would even be willing to come here? 

Genuine question

Big Wes did it, probably isn't as much of a factor as people would like to think

10 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Lots of people saying sell hamza, he ticks a lot of boxes for the squad, homegrown, English, can play rb, Cm and done a stint at CB. He’s deffo worth keeping! 

But he role could be fill by a younger prospect like Brunt who is only 21 and ticks the same boxes. 

Hamza is 24 and needs to be playing regular football, and is worth a few quid to our transfer coffers.

Hamza is never going to be a first team regular here.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....not sure if Iversen will become the next first team keeper!!!

How many #2s become number #1.

But that's because most clubs sign keepers due to the ones at the club not being good enough. There isn't a succession plan for keepers at a majority of clubs because it's hard to keep a very good number two happy, as they'll play about 5 games a season. Iversen appears to have been lined up to at least be our first choice option to try and replace Kasper when he decides to leave.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Screenshot_20220405-082711_The Athletic.jpg

Screenshot_20220405-082719_The Athletic.jpg

Perez, mendy, soyuncu and hamza cited as the players that wil leave as well as tielemans.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

9 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Lots of people saying sell hamza, he ticks a lot of boxes for the squad, homegrown, English, can play rb, Cm and done a stint at CB. He’s deffo worth keeping! 

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

But he role could be fill by a younger prospect like Brunt who is only 21 and ticks the same boxes. 

Hamza is 24 and needs to be playing regular football, and is worth a few quid to are transfer coffers.

Hamza is never going to be a first team regular here.

I think as well as the above, he’s allegedly on a fairly substantial wage despite his limited role within the squad which would help with our precarious wages : turnover ratio. 

I don’t think you can build around Fofana because if he gets through next season healthy, he’ll be almost impossible to keep.  He’ll be pushing for a move and have no shortage of suitors.

57 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Perez, mendy, soyuncu and hamza cited as the players that wil leave as well as tielemans.

Really hope we keep Mendy! Will he definitely leave? Whoever nearly signed him last summer will surely be interested again :(.

If Mendy and Hamza both leave we will need to sign a DM which takes up more of our budget, or we could promote Brunt to the first team I guess.

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Not a chance that raises enough money to get the players we need, so we may well have plans to keep Maddison, Castagne etc but when we can't get any money for Perez or Hamza and we've only sold Tielemans and Soyuncu for £45m then we may well have to consider selling someone like Castagne whom we are well stocked in that position and who might want to leave anyway if a big Italian club came knocking.

I think we will have to sell someone we don't want to this summer, or we don't get the players we want. Rodgers has pretty much admitted as such, saying we shouldn't be afraid of that.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Why not? We could get £20-25m altogether for Perez, Mendy and Choudhury. Another £25m for Soyuncu and £30m for Tielemans. Takes us up to £80m, plus the usually £20m of our own cash on top should do it. 

Exactly - still think by the time villa start throwing money around the prices will get bumped up.

If it were down to me…

Keep and have in squad:

Kasper, Iversen, Young/Odunze/u23

Ricardo, Castagne, JJ, Thomas, Fofana, Evans, Amartey

Mendy, Ndidi, KDH, Madders, Soumare (think he’ll come good eventually)

Vardy, Iheanacho, Daka, Barnes, Albrighton 

Sell/release:

Ward (£6/7m?)

Jakupovic (free)

Youri (£30m - obviously would rather he stayed but unlikely)

Cags (£20m)

Vestergaard (whatever we can get)

Bertrand (free)

Perez (£6/7m?)

Praet (£6/7m?)

Choudhury (£6/7m?)

Sign:

Madueke (£25m?)

Lookman (what’s the option - £15m?)

Colwill (£15m)

Youri replacement (budget £30m)

Another KDH style box to box CM (budget £15m)

This isn’t football manager and it won’t be that easy, but it’s the kind of “shake up” we need - trimming the squad but adding quality for a relatively small (£25-30m) net spend.

I think if we have to sell another it will be Iheanacho for £25/30m, but hopefully it won’t come to that!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Why not? We could get £20-25m altogether for Perez, Mendy and Choudhury. Another £25m for Soyuncu and £30m for Tielemans. Takes us up to £80m, plus the usually £20m of our own cash on top should do it. 

Why not? Well Perez is on £90k a week with a year on his contract, we'll not get a fee and his wages covered, if we do it'll be negligible. Hamza Choudhury has had absolutely zero interest bar a loan move 2 seasons on the spin to Newcastle, another suspect who commands a wage way more than his stature deserves, so at £60k a week with only a year to go, who's going to pay a decent fee for him?

Mendy I could see a team paying £5-7m but again he's got a year left on his deal and the only interest he's had have been loan moves.

Soyuncu and Tielemans we ought to sell for £45-55m combined but is that anywhere near enough to get a new CB (ideally need 2), a new CM and a RW and back up LW?

I think we either have to sell a big money player we don't want to lose or we have to bring a couple of loans in with options/obligations to buy.

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Why not? Well Perez is on £90k a week with a year on his contract, we'll not get a fee and his wages covered, if we do it'll be negligible. Hamza Choudhury has had absolutely zero interest bar a loan move 2 seasons on the spin to Newcastle, another suspect who commands a wage way more than his stature deserves, so at £60k a week with only a year to go, who's going to pay a decent fee for him?

Mendy I could see a team paying £5-7m but again he's got a year left on his deal and the only interest he's had have been loan moves.

Soyuncu and Tielemans we ought to sell for £45-55m combined but is that anywhere near enough to get a new CB (ideally need 2), a new CM and a RW and back up LW?

I think we either have to sell a big money player we don't want to lose or we have to bring a couple of loans in with options/obligations to buy.

I can see us mostly spending on a new starting XI centre back and a starting XI right winger

Centre mid I think may depend on what we choose to do with Praet if/when Youri goes - could be we choose to keep him with Youri leaving?

Possibly extend Lookman’s loan for another season but make it an obligation? - I think we are gonna try and buy him in the summer anyway but for less than whatever the option to buy we currently have is

Then aim for a young centre back on loan with an option/obligation if we need to (like we seemingly looked to be doing last summer until Fofana with Kabak, Tah etc.)

2 permanents - centre back and right winger

2 loans - back up winger and young/backup centre back

1 up in the air - centre mid

Edited by moore_94

42 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I disagree re Perez - I think his reputation is a lot better outside Leicester than it is amongst Leicester fans, where he's criminally underrated imo, and think he will have plenty of suitors (we may have to defer some wages if he goes back to Spain but we'll see). Choudhury might be hard to shift but won't be end of the world if he doesn't go, you never know, if he has a summer to chase a move himself (if he wants to go) then it may happen. Agree on Mendy, I could see plenty of options for him back in France for a fee like the one you mentioned. 

Regardless, I forgot to mention we've got another £15m asset in Praet, who will likely be sold. So, assuming Soyuncu and Tielemans go, we get what you estimate for those 3 and Praet goes, we'd still get get around the £100m mark that I mentioned in my first post. 

So you've agreed that we won't be raising much money from those quotes as being up for sale in Mendy, Perez and Hamza 😂😂

Not a chance we raise £100m, not without selling a Maddison, Ndidi, Barnes etc

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I haven’t? What I said is that if we shift them then we’ll raise about £20-25m for them (average of roughly £8m a piece) which I think in the current market is about right. You’ve rightly pointed out that wages may be an obstacle for suitors, but I think we’ll be active in trying to shift them and have a better chance of being successful. 

Why is there not a chance we raise £100m? I’ve done the maths for you already. £55m for Youri and Cags, £20-25m for those 3, and another £15m for Praet. Now if wages proves an obstacle for Hamza, Perez and Mendy, guess what? We still raise around £70m through the sales of Praet, Youri and Cags. Then I'm factoring in our usually £20m spend from the owners. 

Does that make sense now?? 

No doesn't make sense as it won't happen.

Apologies for questioning you though, I realise my tone here is very dismissive but that's not personal.

I reckon Soyuncu will sign an extension , if he wants the move to a nailed on CL side , he needs an injury free season behind him allowing him to regain his top form. Then we will have the chance to cash in.

51 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I reckon Soyuncu will sign an extension , if he wants the move to a nailed on CL side , he needs an injury free season behind him allowing him to regain his top form. Then we will have the chance to cash in.

We better hope so or we'll get nothing(contract expires in june 2023). Criminal how underrated he is on this forum given what he has had to deal with. Aka injuries to other players leaving us no depth at the back and little rest for him given the amount of matches we play aka more injuries for him. There have to be clubs out there with their mouths watering given how difficult it is to find world class defenders. Especially with his skill set. Sometimes I ask myself how well Fofana would have done if he were placed in the same circumstances.

Could any human have been able to carry the ship on their own. Doubt it.

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Sorry, I’m lost as to why it won’t happen? 

You really don’t think we can raise £70m from Youri, Cags and Praet alone? 

No I don't, Praet another on nearly 100k a week, will be a loan with an option to buy again I'm afraid. This 4 month injury has set him back to square one.

Show me evidence of fringe players we've got decent money for in recent years? 

3 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

.....he looks made for the Premier League!!!

Plays with his head up, looks to go forward, can beat a man with ease and his assists are a lot lower than they should be, due to poor finishing. Looks like a Maddison replacement, but he also looks comfortable taking the ball off the defence and playing deeper. He would definitely hit the ground running, should we decide to pick hi up, he has all the attributes.

• Like 1